How does one setup and use a multimeter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cherewine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2010
Pacific Northwest USA
Hi everyone :)
I am getting one of those cheapy ($4.99) multimeters that are on sale from Harbor Freight and I will be CLUELESS as to how to use it to check my batteries and attys. Is there a thread somewhere that someone can link me to or explain how to set up and use the multimeter for these two things? TIA

lostknitter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 14, 2011
Lee's Summit, MO
There is a video I watched that showed me how to use mine for the attys, VapeTV | Basilray. I asked here and got lots of very quick responses about how to use it for the battery. But I have my multimeter marked on the battery part and can't get to it right now to tell you. I'm sure someone will pop in here in a moment.

Rhapsodies Fire

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2010
Bow, WA, USA
www.reosmods.com
For batteries, turn your dial so it is on the V= and put it on 20. Place your red lead on the positive end of the battery and the black lead on the negative end of the battery. For a fully charged 3.7 volt battery it should read 4.19ish to 4.22ish.
004.jpg

For atomizers/cartomizers, turn your dial so it is on the Ω section and put it on 200. Before you meter your atomizer, we need to find out what resistance is in the leads. Place the leads together so the metal is touching and leave it still until the numbers settle down. It should read something like 00.3ish. With your atomizer upside down so that the threaded end is sticking up, place the red lead gently in the center post and the black lead on the threads. Once the numbers settle down, you should have a reading something like 1.9 or 2.2. Now you subtract the lead resistance (in my case 00.3) from the 1.9 and you get 1.6.
005-1.jpg

mlinky

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2010
Kentucky
To measure the battery, turn your dial to the 20 v setting. Put the red lead on the positive nipple and the black lead on the bottom of the battery. Straight off the charger it should measure 4.18-4.20

To measure the atty, turn your dial to the 200 ohm (omega) setting. Touch the leads together. Whatever the final reading is, you will need to subtract from the next reading. Put the red lead in the hole in the bottom of the atomizer, touch the black lead to the outside threads.

LOL, JINX :laugh:

Gristle

ECF Veteran
May 13, 2011
Kentucky
Since there are many types of meters, and they all operate slightly differently this is only a very basic descption of how to use a multi-meter.

A multimeter is used to read resistances and voltages. There should be two wires, or leads, that are attached to the meter, typically red and black. When reading voltages the black wire is for ground or negative side of power and the red is for the postive side of the power source. When reading resistance the color do not matter.

To read the resistance (ohms) of an atomizer or cartomizer, you would select the Ohm function on the meter sometimes denoted with the omega symbol ( Ω). On the battery connection end of the atomizer or cartomizer touch one the tips of a lead to the center post, and one to the outside, or threads. The Multimeter display would then show the resistance value of the device. A tricky part on some meters is determining what range of values it is displaying. Typically a digital multimeter only has 4 or 5 digits it will display for a value, and then adjusts this value by a multiplier that it will indicate on the display, or by moving the decimal point. For an analog type meter, the range is selected via the settings dial, and the user has to do the multiplication in their head.

To read a voltage, the meter needs to be set to the voltage function, and sometimes set for AC or DC values. The red lead is then touched to the center post of the connector on a 510 and the black to the threads or outside of the device. to measure the voltage of a battery, touch the read lead to the positive (+) end of the battery, and hte black lead ot the negative (-) end of the battery.

EDIT: Damn the peeps around here are quick...pics and everything.

Rhapsodies Fire

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2010
Bow, WA, USA
www.reosmods.com
Does the internal resistance of DMM's usually have to be subtracted from the actual atty reading or are they self compensating?
Also, how do you measure the mA and/or mAh of a batt under load?

Ted
Hi Ted :) Mine are not self compensating, so I have to subtract each time I take a reading for the atties. I already know that my meter has a 00.3 resistance, so I don't bother checking that.
Batteries under load take a different set up...and this is where my experience is lacking. I'm sure someone will come along shortly to explain that one.

Skeeter T

ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2011
Rancho Cucamonga CA
Hi Rasps, So that's why the resistance of my my atty's always read +.2 to +.4 higher than the rating. Ya did good, there'll be a little extra in your pay. However, with over 11.5K posts, I was surprised to see you didn't know the answer to the second question. Just goes to show, we're never too old to learn. Notice I included you. Raggin on you is almost like raggin on *the boss* (my wife). I never forget, whoever controls the money is the boss.

Rhapsodies Fire

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2010
Bow, WA, USA
www.reosmods.com
Hi Rasps, So that's why the resistance of my my atty's always read +.2 to +.4 higher than the rating. Ya did good, there'll be a little extra in your pay. However, with over 11.5K posts, I was surprised to see you didn't know the answer to the second question. Just goes to show, we're never too old to learn. Notice I included you. Raggin on you is almost like raggin on *the boss* (my wife). I never forget, whoever controls the money is the boss.

LOL...ya, I'm always learning. High post count only accounts for my chattiness :blush: Not necessarily what I know :laugh:
By the way, also thought I'd tell you the one thing I do know about testing under load. Don't try to test the mod under load by placing the leads in the atty connector just like you would with an atty and hit the button. This will cook your mod for sure. :D

Rhapsodies Fire

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2010
Bow, WA, USA
www.reosmods.com
Okay...I think I figured it out. To test your mod under load, you buy something like this... 510 Voltage Indicator and screw it on your mod then hit the button...it should read the volts it getting. And I can't tell from the pictures, but it looks like there is an atty connector on the other end that can be used to test the mod with the atty on it...under load. Make sense?

I think Mad Vapes and COV and places like that also have these available. I just remembered seeing this one while surfing his site last night. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread