Status
Not open for further replies.

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
I pretty much do the same as you and let the tails hit the deck. A buddy of mine loads his with cotton and tells me that he doesn't have to drip as often but the rules of displacement (the occupation by a submerged body or part of a body of a volume that would otherwise be occupied by a fluid) make me believe that isn't true. And he gets a dry hit way more often then I do :)

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
My rayon is trimmed just long enough to touch the deck. I don't keep loads of juice laying around on my deck either, I use RDAs that have flush squonk pins, or only slight protrusion. This lets my bottle suck back the excess so leaking is pretty much non existent (as long as I don't get too zealous on the bottle).

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
My rayon is trimmed just long enough to touch the deck. I don't keep loads of juice laying around on my deck either, I use RDAs that have flush squonk pins, or only slight protrusion. This lets my bottle suck back the excess so leaking is pretty much non existent (as long as I don't get too zealous on the bottle).

Yeah squonkers are a different story. You do want room for excess to go back into the bottle.

mimöschen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2016
I keep my wicks as short as possible, so they just touch the deck.
That way it's less leaky when dripping, because there's still enough room for excess juice and the vape gets much more saturated. If the well is full of cotton though, the excess juice is forced out of the airflow while dripping much easier.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
My wicks just touch the deck. My reasoning is that once the wicks become too long they overcome the materials ability to wick efficiently. If you stuff the the deck then the juice at the end of the wick probably won't make it to the coil and will sit there going stale. If the wick just touches the desk then it's as short as it can be, but still able to draw up excess juice from the deck.
I'm not sure of the mechanics, but from experience I've found that too much cotton leads to leaking out of the air holes. But if I was to guess I would say that it's because I blurb juice straight in through my drip tip. Before the wick is able to absorb the juice it makes it's way out through the air holes.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Barely touching and thinned along the way. I find that TOO much wick can make wicking harder, on occasion. Mainly, if the wick isn't thinned enough I sort of feel it may be harder to wick well, as you can get dry spots in a wick that is too thick or long, and wicking is harder. Although admittedly, I am talking more about velocity style RTAs. With a dripper, just everything is more forgiving.

(IMNHO) as always, wick the way you like, and if it's working, well, you can try an experiment or two if you start having issues, but I'm kind of doubtful that it will need to be as difficult and precise as an RTA, it's kind of one reason drippers will get recommended as a first building option (and flavor). Best of luck,

Anna

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
In the Gorge and Drop tails are thinned and just touch the deck. For some reason my Goon styled does better with thinned longer tails tucked under the coils. Not overlapping tho. Thinking it depends on the rda deck and af which is better and neither is wrong per se.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread