How long does nic last?

Status
Not open for further replies.

V8Maverick

Apr 19, 2018
When TPD came in in the UK, I made a bit of a "snap" purchase and didn't do my maths at all, now it works out that I have, based on my average eliquid consumption and nic strength, about 16 to 20 years worth of nicotine... How long does VG suspended nic last? Is there any real prospect of it surviving a decade and a half, or should I just sell some on now?

Reactions: stols001

NicotineRush

Linux Mint/Mate
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2008
Living 'Off Grid'
Don't sell!
Properly stored, nic lasts a looooong time. Search the forum for threads about storing ejuice ingredients. You'll find many folks using nic/flavors/pg-vg that are many years old without any noticeable degradation.
Personally, I'm using nic/flavors/pg that are currently 4 years old, and have stored enough ingredients for the next approx. 15 years. (should be long dead by then. :) )
Your refrigerator is your friend!

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Another good read that has been "stickied" in the DIY E-liquid section:
Long Term Nic Storage

The author of that post (@Kurt) is a university chemistry professor who is active in e-liquid chemistry studies. I trust his opinions quite a bit.

Note: If the length of the post is too much for you, skip to the last paragraph.

Hoggy

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
WI, USA
There was a chemist on here a while back (Kurt, IIRC) that said VG was best for long term storage of nic (indefinitely). He said the in-PG versions turned on him during his years of testing. In-VG is also safest if you get any of the 100mg stuff on you, as it will take much longer to absorb. Heck, although I'm not going to recommend it, I even rub any that gets on my fingers onto bare skin. I mix safety-free due to many years of experience, but I usually make pre-made bases in .5-1.5 mg/ml anyways. However I'll still put on safety goggles and maybe gloves when transferring from the plastic I buy it in, into amber-glass safety bottles - especially when I was transferring a lot.

Also when I started I had ~7/8 year old PG & VG (for other things). I had been noticing a strange taste. So I narrowed things down and found the old PG tasted god-awful. However, the ancient VG tasted perfectly fine. Both were never stored in fridge or freezer. So now I have 24 8-oz amber-glass bottles of VG nic in the freezer, in safety botlles (has plastic/vinyl outer coating in case of breakage) - and enclosed in ziplock baggies for extra protection. At one time, I had calculated that would last me about 40 years or so. But I think I might have been at ~12-24 mg/ml when I calculated that, and now I'm mainly at 0.5 mg/ml - so now I should literally have enough for the rest of my life. Yet I still find myself ordering another liter when 4 bottles empty out. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Oh, yep.. IDJoel pointed to the Kurt I was talking about. He's the reason I'll only ever buy in-VG nic. Also, as mentioned in that post, I do always let the nic warm up before transferring to a 4-oz wide-mouth canning jar with plastic lid for usage.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread