how long should i steep e-juice ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I agree with @puffon . No need to steep flavor-less e-liquid.

May or may not need to steep flavored e-liquid. Commercial premixed e-liquids may have been sitting on a shelf for days or weeks before you open the top, so they are essentially already steeped. Homemade e-liquid with flavoring may benefit from steeping, but many simple (single) flavors may be good from scratch.

More complex flavors consisting of multiple flavor concentrates usually benefit from some steeping. Could be as little as a few days to a few weeks.

Last edited:

Caroline Sparks

Unresolved Status
May 10, 2018
Florida
  • Deleted by Misty
  • Reason: unregistered Supplier Associate

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
Steep liquids a month. I know, that's outrageous. Creams especially want longer steeping, fruits less so, but I have been happier with all my liquids at the one month point than one week. Best thing to do is make little testers, 30 mls at most, and try a tank once a week to see how you like it. Shake and vape mixes are a thing but not my thing.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
they don't have answer for my QUESTION ... :)
@SonnyCooL, you are beginning to learn, that not all participants always read thoroughly, before responding. ;) :rolleyes:

As @puffon, and @Baditude, have already mentioned:
A plain mixture of only PG, and VG (NO nicotine, and NO flavoring); will NOT benefit... at all... from any form of aging.

Once you have thoroughly mixed the PG and VG together; you can start vaping immediately.:D

However, that being said; if it helps you to sleep better at night, there is likely little to no harm that can be done, by letting it rest.

The only negative impact time might have (that I can think of); is the possibility of a slight watering-down of the mixture. Both ingredients (PG, and VG) are fairly hygroscopic... meaning that they absorb water easily. IF, you live in an extremely humid climate, and are using oversized containers for your liquid (leaving lots of airspace in the bottle; or using poorly sealed containers); it is possible that it can begin to absorb moisture from the ambient air. In turn, if it absorbs enough, it could begin to thin out. In my mind; this is all highly unlikely.

But, even if it were to happen, it remains perfectly vapeable. The only effects of excess water, are going to be a mild reduction in visible vapor, and a increased possibility for flooding (if using a tank type of atomizer).

Again; this is only the worst-case scenario. The chances of all the required conditions coming together, seems extremely unlikely.

Mix... shake... and vape away!!! That is my recommendation! :cool::D

{Just as a reference point: my "normal" go-to vape is an unflavored mix of only PG, VG, and nicotine (@ 40PG/60VG 18mg/mL). And, I routinely shake and vape this. Even with the nicotine included; there is no significant change in flavor... even over the 2 (+/-) months it takes me to vape a batch. :) }

tiggerrts

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 15, 2012
Texas
Okay steeping. Micros vary and the bottle. The best is fine by sound, but heat is our friend.

If a plastic bottle 4 or 5 seconds Max. The PV gets hot fast and plastic melts.

Glass bottle maybe six or seven seconds let rest. Shake and repeat. Shake and let cool.

There you go take off the cap and let breathe. Then replace cap and shake, let breathe again.

U r now close to a good flavor. Remember that juice needs to vent. As such heat it let rest and walks good tasting juice or vape.

Trust me. Almost ten years ago reading watching and hug they were right. Not a wheel to turn over again, done before.

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

SonnyCooL

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2018
You don't NEED another answer to your question. It's flavorless. It's not going to magically get MORE flavorless if you steep it. Just vape it.
i just worry PG and VG won't have good re;relationship, especially short period of time :p
actually i try it and it taste a little sweet and clean too, kind of love it but missing nicotine.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
i just worry PG and VG won't have good re;relationship, especially short period of time.
giphy.gif

CagedSpam

ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2015
FoPo, Oregon
purely 70-30 combination, how long should i wait ?

About as long as it takes to drip an RDA or fill an RTA?

Enjoy your DIY journey, it only gets more fun with flavors and/or nicotine. I like to shake and vape most everything, and then taste my mixes as they steep to learn about the changes in flavor.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
i just worry PG and VG won't have good re;relationship, especially short period of time :p
actually i try it and it taste a little sweet and clean too, kind of love it but missing nicotine.

they are able to have a lovely relationship after simply shaking the bottle.

Just shake, then vape.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
PG and VG are quite compatible. There is no worry about them not blending or trying to separate.

The sweetness comes from VG. If you wanted to conduct an easy, simple experiment; you could vape a bit of each (PG and VG) separately, to see exactly what each is contributing. (Do NOT do this with undiluted nicotine concentrates, or undiluted flavor concentrates.)

There is never anything that would prevent you from test vaping any freshly made mix. There is nothing harmful that is going to go away with time. As @CagedSpam suggests; repeated vaping, over a period of time, is a great way to learn: if, how, and when flavored e-liquids change.
still learning what, how and which nic to use :)
Nothing wrong with that. Read, research, and ask questions. That is how we all learn. Buy when you feel comfortable with your choice(s). And, begin with purchasing small quantities. You can always buy larger quantities once you are sure it is the right product for you. :thumb:

EverythingEvil

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2014
Grand Junction, Co
I find after about a week the flavor change from steeping longer isn't very noticable. I don't vape unflavored very often, but when I do I generally mix it, heat it up a bit and shake the crap out of it to get the nic mixed in well, then vape it.

There isn't much advantage to steeping a liquid with no flavor. Steeping is generally something people do to allow the flavor in thier juices to mix and meld together uniformly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread