Do you guys steep your juice? I was reading a bit about it and wondered if i should try it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
My all day vapes are pretty much shake-and-vape. They'll improve a bit with a day or two, but tend to be fine right away.

Recently I started mixing a few custard blends, with 6 and 7 flavorings. Those definitely benefit from some steeping.

I have an ultrasonic cleaner, one of the classic ways to accelerate steeping, but don't bother with it. I'll generally give these more complex liquids about a week, shake the bottles up in the morning and evening.

I also tend to run about 50% pg, which overall requires less steeping than high vg eliquids.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I'm not a fan of snv so I always steep. Before diy I also ordered ahesd and steeped my commercial juices as well. Bit me in the .... a couple times with a fader though. If using commercial juices taste when delivered and if it seems week give it 10 more days before using; if good vape it.

Soundtech9

Aug 30, 2020
My all day vapes are pretty much shake-and-vape. They'll improve a bit with a day or two, but tend to be fine right away.

Recently I started mixing a few custard blends, with 6 and 7 flavorings. Those definitely benefit from some steeping.

I have an ultrasonic cleaner, one of the classic ways to accelerate steeping, but don't bother with it. I'll generally give these more complex liquids about a week, shake the bottles up in the morning and evening.

I also tend to run about 50% pg, which overall requires less steeping than high vg eliquids.

Appreciate that advice. Sounds like I'm not going to really bother with it. If it tastes good out of the mail, I'll shake n vape. If not, I'll let it sit for a week or so. Thanks again!

Soundtech9

Aug 30, 2020
I'm not a fan of snv so I always steep. Before diy I also ordered ahesd and steeped my commercial juices as well. Bit me in the .... a couple times with a fader though. If using commercial juices taste when delivered and if it seems week give it 10 more days before using; if good vape it.

Appreciate that advice. Sounds like I'm not going to really bother with it. Like you said, if the ejuice tastes good out of the mail, I'll shake n vape. If not, I'll let it sit for a week or so. Thanks again!

Reactions: Letitia

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither

:thumb:
From the very start of vaping/doing DIY I went thru all of the progressive methods in turn of aging my DIY's (shake and wait, crock pot, etc). But after the commercial ultrasonic cleaner I found what worked best for me and never looked back. With it and some tweaking of some my VG Heavy recipes all 160 of them became stir and vape with a magnetic stir plate I had a gent in Europe make for me. So along with mixing by weight instead of volume I make new batches ready to vape in as little as 15 minutes to less than an hour for the more complex recipes that take longer to blend together completely.

stirplate160812.jpg

msp1.jpg aws16.jpg aws26.jpg horizon.jpg j4luc.jpg

I make juice from concentrates I get from Makemyvape and they suggest to steep for improved flavour so I always have.
Just means you have to work a week in advance so you don't run out.
But my wife likes lukesky vapour from VPZ but she gets 12% which is too strong so I cut it with VG/PG get 50 ml out of 10 ml bottles and doesn't need to steep.

Soundtech9

Aug 30, 2020
:thumb:
From the very start of vaping/doing DIY I went thru all of the progressive methods in turn of aging my DIY's (shake and wait, crock pot, etc). But after the commercial ultrasonic cleaner I found what worked best for me and never looked back. With it and some tweaking of some my VG Heavy recipes all 160 of them became stir and vape with a magnetic stir plate I had a gent in Europe make for me. So along with mixing by weight instead of volume I make new batches ready to vape in as little as 15 minutes to less than an hour for the more complex recipes that take longer to blend together completely.

View attachment 904731
View attachment 904733 View attachment 904735 View attachment 904737 View attachment 904739 View attachment 904741

That is impressive!

ravenchalk

Sep 1, 2020
Search for ultrasonic cleaner steeping. Apparently you can steep a juice that would normally take 2 or 3 weeks in 2 days. I'm actually doing it at this very moment. The general concensus seems to say that steeping is like, the most important thing in the world. I think some certain flavors, especially when it's just 1 or 2 flavors mixed can be shake and vape with no problem. But other flavors like creams and stuff require time to blossom for whatever reason. I think part of it also is to let things like alcohol and any other things with chemically tasting ingredients evaporate. Anyway. Hope your stuff comes out good.

Reactions: Soundtech9

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
fwiw.jpg
Another factor that comes into play here (that is not mentioned often enough I guess) is the fact that those of use who started making our own 'one shot concentrates' ahead of time long ago for each of our own recipes found that it helped cut out the need to age most of our recipes when they were mixed with a base because the flavors in those one shots had already married each other.

My stir plate makes short work of mixing the base and one shots together thoroughly with no additional need to 'age' them. How long to blend depends on the size of the batch being made. Years ago I cut my main vape recipe batches down to 120mm from the 250mm/500mm/1000mm I used to mix, and test batches to 30mm when I came up with a new recipe I thought I might like. Between putting together by weight and mixing on a stir plate a new 120mm batch takes very little time to make and start vaping. So the need to make larger batches for my uses simply went away.

Reactions: MacTechVpr

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hola,
I vape a tobacco, vanilla, caramel flavor (TFA D RY-4) mixed with freebase. 10% flavor, 10% (100mg/ml) nicotine. I mix by weight and blend by shaking.
I mix 1000ml per batch and allow it to age for 20-30 days before use in a cool, dark place.

20-30 days is average and I will often leave 40 or so ml in the bottom of the 1000ml bottle as a "seed" for the new batch, it seems to help.

The mix is used directly by my wife in her PodStick, I cut the mix by 50% and use it in my squonks and RTAs.

Cheers
I

Reactions: MacTechVpr

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
My ADV is unflavored juice and I mix those in 100ml bottles. I usually mix up a 60ml bottle or two of whatever flavor suits me at the time. By the time I try one of my flavored juices it's a week or so since they were mixed. Some flavors are shake and bake and others need a couple of weeks to a month to blend and age to goodness.

Last edited:

Soundtech9

Aug 30, 2020
My ADV is unflavored juice and I mix those in 100ml bottles. I usually mix up a 60ml bottle or two of whatever flavor suits me at the time. By the time I try one of my flavored juices it's a week or so since they were mixed. Some flavors are shake and bake and others need a couple of weeks to blend and age to goodness.

THANKS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread