How long to use an atty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eternityroad

ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Las Vegas, Nevada
I vape on a Riva 510. The attys I purchased are guaranteed for two months. It has been over two months and the atty is still operable..have to clean a bit more often, though. My question is should I wait until the atty becomes inoperable to change to a new atty or should I put a new one in regularly...like every 2-3 months, regardless of performance. I was thinking that build-up could affect the overall vape or that it may just be good 'hygiene' to keep relatively fresh attys in the unit. I know this depends a lot on use. I mostly drip and I am not a chain vaper. I vape less at work than at home. I put in pretty heavy use in evening hours and weekends. I use cartos on road trips and evenings out where dripping is inconvenient. I do not use carts at all.

Thanx.

Bozzlite

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2010
Central Texas
If the atty is still performing satisfactorily, continue using it.

The performance of an atty can diminish so gradually that you may not even notice it tho..

As far as hygiene, if you clean it regularly in IPA or grain alcohol, it will be sanitized and the PG in the e-juice is also anti-microbial, so I have read. And since you don't use carts anyway....hygiene is not really an issue. As long as you rinse the drip tip in the alcohol every couple of days that is.

alkiburner

Feb 27, 2011
Florida
Cleaning tips great, but I believe your right 2 months change it up. I just pulled 3 attys apart and all the coils were black and crusty! I clean weekly with full alcohol bath and shake to knock lose particals while in soak. My attys vary in age from 6 months to 2 months old they all looked the same. Black and crusty. Personally I am rebuidling my own with quality parts.

Eternityroad

ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Las Vegas, Nevada
I did change it up yesterday and what a difference. Smoother draw and better taste. As for cleaning usually I just blow out when changing flavors and once a week I run under hot water, blow dry and let stand overnight. Haven't yet tried the alcohol cleaning method. Will gin work? ;) It is all I have in the frig right now. Yes I like my gin chilled.

cturtle

Apr 25, 2011
Toronto
I'm completely new to vaping, in fact I'm still waiting for my first e-cig to arrive in the mail. I've been wondering what the life of the atomizers is, and if it just makes more sense to go with carts when I re-order. I'm a very casual smoker, only 3-5 smokes a day, so I probably won't be using my e-cig as often as most people. I ordered the Ego, and I have no idea how long their atomizers are good for. Anyone have any idea what I can expect to get out of them?

Eternityroad

ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Las Vegas, Nevada
I'm completely new to vaping, in fact I'm still waiting for my first e-cig to arrive in the mail. I've been wondering what the life of the atomizers is, and if it just makes more sense to go with carts when I re-order.

I think it depeneds on how much you vape....if you chain vape or are casual. The attys I get from Liberty Flights are guaranteed for two months. Like I said I vape alot in the evenings and weekends and after two months it was time to switch it out. I started with a 510 Riva back in December and that atty completely crashed after two months use. So I would say two months, to answer your question. As for carts, you would have to try them out. I am a confirmed dripper and do not use carts. Keep in mind it is more expensive to go with pre-filled carts than bottled juice. On the site there is a lot of material for filling your own carts. You may want to go that route. You might try cartomizers. I use them only rarely because I think that dripping offers a richer flavor experience. I have found that after awhile the flavor in the carto becomes muted.

I'm a very casual smoker, only 3-5 smokes a day, so I probably won't be using my e-cig as often as most people. I ordered the Ego, and I have no idea how long their atomizers are good for. Anyone have any idea what I can expect to get out of them?

When I started I had been a casual smoker also, but was so taken by the vaping experience that I find myself vaping a lot more often than I when was smoking. That is basically due to the great flavors available and the vapor production. I love to make clouds in the room! Eventually I will prolly cut down to 6 mg or no nic at all in my flavors.

Good luck getting started.

Ken

cturtle

Apr 25, 2011
Toronto
Thanks for the info. I guess I'm going to have to try a few things, and see what works best for me. I didn't realize there was a difference between using the pre-filled carts, and filling them myself.

I'm strictly an outdoor smoker, so I know exactly what you mean about vaping more than you smoked. I imagine I won't be able to put it down for the first few months, and I'll probably be vaping about the equivalent of a pack a day. Fortunately I won't feel too bad about it.

Thanks again, I'm really looking forward to my last cigarette, and my first experience vaping.

cturtle

Apr 25, 2011
Toronto
I like to compare it to buying ink cartridges for your printer or going to a place like Office Max that will fill your present cartridge when it is empty. Less expensive.

Oh, okay. So there's no real taste or quality difference then. As long as it's not a huge pain in the ..., I don't mind filling them myself. It looks like it'll be about half price if I do.

sjohnson

ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2009
Last night I cleaned a no-name 510 atomizer for the first time in 8 months. Vapor production was finally down.

After cleaning, it's like new again. I used to clean every 3-4 days, but no more. I may never need to buy an atomizer again.

All I vape is DIY using USP glycerine and USP propylene glycol mixed with FA and PA clear flavors.

Cleaning via ultrasound and dry burn. YMMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread