Not open for further replies.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
7 to 8.5W -- 3.7 to 4.5V.
But, isn't the discussion kinda meaningless without the resistance factor? Or is the assumption (erroneously) that everybody is sub-ohm?

I would think the assumption is that no one is sub ohming at 7 watts, and no one is tootle puffing at 100 watts..

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I would think the assumption is that no one is sub ohming at 7 watts,
By "sub-ohming", do you mean DTL vaping?

I haven't built a coil over 1 ohm in the better part of 4 years, but I'm exclusively an MTL vaper, darn near a tootle-puffer.

I use mechanical squonkers. So my (mildly) sub-ohm coils only produce about 20 watts. But with regulated mods, it's entirely possible to to run 50 or more watts on a coil that's above 1 ohm, or 5 watts on a coil that's less than 1 ohm.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain

I haven't built a coil over 1 ohm in the better part of 4 years, but I'm exclusively an MTL vaper, darn near a tootle-puffer.

I use mechanical squonkers. So my (mildly) sub-ohm coils only produce about 20 watts. But with regulated mods, it's entirely possible to to run 50 or more watts on a coil that's above 1 ohm, or 5 watts on a coil that's less than 1 ohm.

Not necessarily.

"Sub ohm vaping" was always traditionally used to describe those who were building below an ohm, and pushing their mods in order to get the most power possible...

As you well know.

As the market gets more power as a whole, "sub ohm vaping" then is just those who vape at higher wattages overall.

Case in point, I have had the occasion to build a .8 ohm coil where I vaped it at around 16 watts.. that was not "Sub ohm vaping" even though my ohms was technically below one ohm, and the same could be said in reverse.. if your building at 1 ohm but your vaping that ohm at 70 watts you don't really qualify as a tootle puffer either .

But I'm positive you know that.

Sub ohm vaping is about pushing power - however that translates in our modern day.

Last edited:

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Wow, I've only seen about half a dozen people vaping as low wattage as me!

Me? Mainly 7 to 7.5. Although rarely down to 6.5 or even more rarely up to 8.5
    I kept on having to jack it up because of gurgling, finally just left it on 8.5. Newer tanks aren't too happy any lower. I try to work around it with different af settings and dt's. I find myself vaping less often now.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain
    Yeah, I know we butcher the meaning of certain words and phrases on this forum, and it drives me nuts! :laugh:

It's a part of life, been happening since the dawn of time.. live with it..

:pervy:

You know I love you...

Last edited:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    It's a part of life, been happening since the dawn of time.. live with it..
    giphy.gif

You know I love you...
    :wub:

Ryedan

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada

I totally agree Rossum. The old concept that sub-ohm vaping equals high power is entirely false now. I'm vaping a DoggyStyle with a 0.34 ohm SS coil at 15 watts and it's a perfectly delightful restricted DL vape. Back in 2012 0.34 ohms would have been a 40 watt vape, only possible in a mech mod, and considered dangerous. How times have changed :)

"Sub ohm vaping" was always traditionally used to describe those who were building below an ohm, and pushing their mods in order to get the most power possible...

Yup, but we don't have to continue to use outdated concepts. Change is hard, but when it reflects reality it is IMO a good thing :)

Back on topic ...

I vape at ~15 watts.

Hmm, I think I said that already, but I had to get back on topic somehow :rolleyes:

Equality 7-2521

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 29, 2013
    oakland ca.
    yeah well this is aggrevating..there are alot of people who started out on mechs, and we liked a warmer vape than 1 ohm and would drill out our airholes a bit and vape anywhere from .8 to .5 ....this was called sub-ohming...there weren't any regulated mods that would let you sub-ohm....then a group of nimrods started wrapping towels around there mods because of the heat and vaping like .15 or .2 ohms.....this redefined the term sub-ohming...so using the term sub-ohm means different things to different people...I generally vape around 20-25 watts.

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    30 watts for myself. Once in a blue moon I go crazy and vape near 40 watts. :lol:

It's funny, Geekvape sent me their Aero Mesh tank for review recently. The coils have a best recommended wattage range between 60 - 80 watts (Mesh X1 0.2ohm, 30-90W, Best at 60-80W).

Believe me, it was difficult to do an fair review of the tank and coils because I don't normally vape at such a high wattage. Even at 30 watts, the vape was extremely warm to me. No way was I gonna vape at 40 watts with those coils.

I did message the Geekvape rep and told her of my issue, and recommended that they offer a coil for low wattage vapers. I sent her a link to this poll to prove a point that not many vapers actually vape at very high wattages.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread