Status
Not open for further replies.

melissa1928

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2013
Beaverton, OR, USA
Hi everyone,

I've taken up serious vaping, but haven't been able to ditch traditional cigarettes. I envy those folks who say that they picked up a vaporizer and never touched or wanted another cigarette, but hey -- we can't all be lucky.

I'm following the usual advice to up the nicotine level (I'm at 30 right now) and to vape constantly to keep the internal level high.

I think I've got three main problems:

There's something missing from the vaping. As time passes, the vaping becomes less satisfying and after a few hours I feel the need for a real cigarette. I've ordered some WTA which I hope will help with this. WTA users, please let me know if I am correct.

Another is cues, such as coffee. I hope to address this by deliberately reassociating the cues with vaping (e.g., deliberately drinking an extra cup of coffee and vaping while doing so).

The third, which is a real stumper, is stress. There's an extremely high-stress situation in my household, and when it gets to be too much for me, out I go for a cigarette. The cigarette temporarily makes me happier, and it also gets me away from the household situation for a few minutes.

Yes, I know that I'm allowed to vape outside. :) I'm not sure how to address the need for that little mood lift, though. Will the WTA provide that little lift, making vaping more deeply satisfying?

I found it helped take the edge off during my transitional period--which in my case was about 3 1/2 months long! It's not a miracle cure, but it definitely supplies something that was missing.

There's no right or wrong way to go about quitting, I simply found that the number of analogs tricked down day by day until it slowly disappeared. Point on fact, my absolute last analog was Christmas Eve, 2012, at 3 PM, so I'm about 10 1/2 hours away from my official smoke-free one year anniversary! Although through most of December, that number of analogs was very low and I smoked less than a pack in November and December combined.

If, on average, you're doing better this month than last, I'd count it a victory right now. Certainly give the WTAs a try, they do seem to cut the craving a little bit, but allow yourself the time to adjust.

Regarding triggers, change them just as you're doing. Mine was the computer in my home office. If I computed, I smoked. Nowadays I vape and the impulse to smoke is long gone. It took me a solid eight weeks to rebuild the association, but I eventually did it. Even then, I'd occasionally wonder where my ashtray went for a while. As of today? I don't even know where my ashtray is located and don't care.

Stress you can't do much about except wait for things to get better. In a stressful situation, I'd say you should go easy on yourself. Otherwise you just add to the stress.

You should be extremely proud of yourself for cutting back (from the sound of it, severely cut back) rather than beat up on yourself for the few remaining cigarettes.

melissa1928

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2013
Beaverton, OR, USA
Welp, I'm doing better. Mostly I just started asking myself "Do I really want this?" before smoking. Just asking the question made the time between cigarettes longer. However, I allowed myself to smoke every cigarette I wanted, provided only that I truly wanted it. Real cigarettes were in the single digits yesterday, maybe 6-8, and I think I'm at 4-5 for today.

My WTA liquid came. That dark honey tobacco flavor is delicious! It's only 24mg instead of the 30mg I'm using for nic-only liquid, but it seems to be providing something that was missing.

I'm not going to push too hard. If I smoke five a day, I smoke five a day. That's still a lot better than 25 a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread