How safe is safe with children?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jode

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2014
Seabrook, NH, USA
I am hoping to get a better idea of risk and safety measures needed for vaping in a home with small children. I did search and most posts address things like safety while dyi or for nic mixes but not everyday ordinary safety measures. I am not asking about proper safe storage for eliquid not being vaped. This I not only keep in a locked (combo lock) toolbox, but is also in a place that the children cannot get to at all, even with a high chair to climb on. We do not keep bottles (even with safety caps) out in reachable areas and nobody drips so no reason for bottles to be out anyway. What I am asking about is the set ups themselves. I have four adult vapers in my home and two children under the age of 5, but both walking. How cautious should we be with our setups. All of us use various regulated devices with clearomizers (tanks) as toppers so there is no exposed liquid as in dripping. We have had several discussions in our home as to how extreme do we need to be with these units. Obviously none of us would intentionally let one of the children handle our vapes, but what my concern is that children are smart, if they see something they want they will find a way to get to it. I get concerned that if they do get their hands on one if the small amount of juice you may find on the outside of a driptip is enough to be concerned over. I mean we all know that sometimes a small amount of juice finds its way on the outside of the clearomizers whether this is due to the coil suddenly going and causing a slight leak or a flooded tip. I know sometimes I can taste the juice on the end of the drip tip so this is the stuff I am asking about, not a child actually being given access to a larger amount of ejuice. The discussion came up in my home after we had a little thing happen. The kids were in bed and one of us set our vape down on the buffet. It was knocked to the floor by the dog (I think). Nothing broke so no damage was done but it raised these questions in my head. Because nobody noticed the vape on the floor right away I wonder about if this had different circumstances and the baby got it in the short amount of time it was on the floor. So my question is this....I never thought to carry my packs of cigs into say the bathroom with me, but how extreme should we be being with our vapes since the nic is in a different form? I also wonder about drippage when filling a clearo. I always do it over a napkin and dispose of this right away but the other day I noticed something that again made me think. I had finished filling my clearo, threw towel away and washed hands then sat down at desk again. I saw a small drop of liquid near where I filled clearo, my eyes were not as good as when I was younger. Of course I cleaned it up with a alcohol prep pad but it made me aware that even when very careful these things happen. Am I the only one that has these concerns? Am I just being a worrywart or are these possibilities a real concern? As I said earlier, nobody drips in my home, nor do we DIY because of the kids but I am being led to believe I may be going a bit overboard with the safety thing. What are others thoughts please.:?:

Jode

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2014
Seabrook, NH, USA
Thank you for chiming in. I think many vapers read posts like this and steer clear out of fears of drawing unwanted attention to these types of issues, but I think the more knowledge we have (the good, bad and ugly) the better. I appreciate your honesty as well. I am sure I am probably worrying about the "what ifs" too much but I never want to be that person that is crying that they didn't know such a small amount could do that much damage. When my daughter was small I had a friend that was what I would call a very loving, attentive and responsible parent, however, she was all aglow one day while telling me that her child loved to brush her teeth so much that she would find her doing it several times a day. She had no idea that fluoride in relatively small dosages was toxic (even deadly). I know as soon as I learned about fluoride toxicity I changed how I stored toothpaste and monitored how my child brushed more closely. So I was looking for a similar idea in regards to our vapes. As I reread my OP and my typing here I realize that this probably does not have a good answer to it anyhow. The truth of it is that we can and need to be as safe as we can with anything toxic (our vapes included) but unfortunately accidents happen with various toxics every day. I do not regret having posted my concerns, however, because if it even gets one person to question how safe they are being with their vapes around pets and kids its a good thing.

cigarbabe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2010
Residing in Henniker, NH
vaperstv
It takes a lot more of the e liquid then we have been led to believe to poison anyone.
Still I would be careful with children and pets.....though I believe you can't be too careful where kids are concerned
you may be going overboard!
Just keep your device out of their reach and you should be fine.
A good rule of thumb says "it is the dosage that makes it toxic".
C.B.

Last edited:
it has been claimed that for small children nicotine could be lethal at level of about one-half(.5)mg per lb of body weight. To me this means I wouldn't be worried about a drop or 2 of condensate in the drip tip, but I would be worried about the juice in the tank.

I have 4 kids of my own, and I share the same concerns. My answer to this concern has been to simply keep my vape with me at all times that it is not in an inaccessible location. I do not put it down on chairs, counters or tables, it is either in my hand, in my pocket, or within close arm's length. I drip, and the same rules go for the bottle as well. I only keep 10ml out at a time in a "childproof" bottle that has proven itself against attack.

Jode

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2014
Seabrook, NH, USA
it has been claimed that for small children nicotine could be lethal at level of about one-half(.5)mg per lb of body weight. To me this means I wouldn't be worried about a drop or 2 of condensate in the drip tip, but I would be worried about the juice in the tank.

I have 4 kids of my own, and I share the same concerns. My answer to this concern has been to simply keep my vape with me at all times that it is not in an inaccessible location. I do not put it down on chairs, counters or tables, it is either in my hand, in my pocket, or within close arm's length. I drip, and the same rules go for the bottle as well. I only keep 10ml out at a time in a "childproof" bottle that has proven itself against attack.

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks. I believe that most vapers do practice extremely safe practices when around children and pets ( at least ones that read here or have been educated). You hit nail right on the head though because I was looking for an answer on the very small amounts and now I have my answer. I was finding it difficult to get accurate information because of all the fear mongering in google land so this is why I asked here. Thank you all for your comments. I knew the we were all (in my home) being very safe.....Just want to make sure (as sure as I can be) that our view of safe is proper.

Maiar

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2014
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
I don't vape around kids. But I do vape in the house if they aren't around. I'm also meticulous about keeping everything vape related out of theirs and my pets reach. I don't even throw the paper towels I set them on and clean them with in the garbage in case the dogs get into it. Anything that's touched juice is cleaned thoroughly and tossed straight into the bin outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread