Safe Disposal of Nicotine

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonpuff

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I'm posting this in the general discussions forum because I honestly don't know where it belongs :| Anyways...

I've been vaping for awhile now and i find myself accumulating empty nicotine bottles. I save them because i fear that throwing them away, whether in the trash or recycle bin, could lead to small animals being poisoned by them 8-o

My question is primarily geared toward anyone with knowledge of chemistry: what can i rinse the bottles with that will bind with nicotine, rendering it inactive and, therefore, safe enough for disposal?

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
Chemist here. All components of e-juice are water soluble. I wouldn't try to "bind it up", but I do like your thinking as to why it would be a good idea. The only thing I think you could have areound that might do this is vinegar, but this will just make it nicotinium acetate partially, which would just go back to nic when very dilute in the waste effluent. Just rinse the bottles out with hot water. As for toxicity, nic is in all plant material, not just tobacco. It is part of photosynthesis. So even if it ends up in a stream or river, any plant material rotting in the same stream is adding nic too. Not an issue. But I am very happy you are concerned about the toxicity of nic! Keep that attitude, especially if you work with 60-100 mg juice...it will keep you safe! ;)

dragonpuff

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Chemist here. All components of e-juice are water soluble. I wouldn't try to "bind it up", but I do like your thinking as to why it would be a good idea. The only thing I think you could have areound that might do this is vinegar, but this will just make it nicotinium acetate partially, which would just go back to nic when very dilute in the waste effluent. Just rinse the bottles out with hot water. As for toxicity, nic is in all plant material, not just tobacco. It is part of photosynthesis. So even if it ends up in a stream or river, any plant material rotting in the same stream is adding nic too. Not an issue. But I am very happy you are concerned about the toxicity of nic! Keep that attitude, especially if you work with 60-100 mg juice...it will keep you safe! ;)

Thank you very much Kurt, that is exactly the kind of answer i was looking for :D

Yeah i do remember NAD, nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide, being part of the glucose cycle. I found that interesting but couldn't make the connection. I figured it wasn't the same since it was an amide of nicotine and not nicotine itself. Well i guess it shows that i haven't finished organic chem yet! :p

Again, thank you! I appreciate it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread