How to avoid burning a coil with the Halo Triton?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyDill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Uranus
Once the wicks are spent {they eventually tatter and fall apart} you can easily replace the wicks. Pick up some 2mm silica wick, cut to size and replace. I have yet to burn up a coil. I have my original two tanks and one replacement five pack. Just seven coils in a half a year and they all still work. I'd say that Halo coils are of high quality! :vapor:

There was a thread regarding the trick to replacing the coil wick some time ago. I cant find it now to paste the link here. Perhaps someone can chime in here that can find it......:)

Fenris4024

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Lubbock, TX
I disagree. A Triton wick stays fairly saturated. I have a tank, almost no juice in the bottom, but the wicks remain wet. A quick tumble if it's been untouched, and it should be good to go.

Now what kind of tanks the vape store had with wicks that can't keep up with the triton, I don't know.

Finally, don't be scared of leaking. Ask Diva how she copes.

Pretty much sums up my experience as well... I've yet to have a triton head (or a standard t2 head, for that matter) end up "not keeping up." Tank gets low, tilt and twirl to re-wet, and back into flavor town! Its possible the Vape store was using (and I hate to use this term, because sometimes, they're better than the original) "cheap china knockoffs" of a kanger T2 style tank...and those had crappy silica, which in turn won't keep up as well.

Yes. 2mm is the right stuff. I have done the teflon tape trick with new 2mm silica wick and it renews the vaping!
To go with what I just said, the only advice I can give would be to use "good" silica for the re-wick, when its needed. I've used bad and good, and the good stuff certainly delivers more flavor and wicks far superior.

For the longest time, I used another clearo before I'd gotten my tritons and tanks, and it was good, but then I'd re-wick it, and it was a miserable vape. (I've found this is partly due to myself just not liking bottom coils), but I recently changed where I buy my silica from, and got some of the better 3mm braided. Re-wicked them on a whim to see, and the flavor was muuuuuch better in them.I still personally prefer the kick to the tastebuds that the Triton tanks deliver though.

weskeene

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2013
Quincy, IL
Pretty much sums up my experience as well... I've yet to have a triton head (or a standard t2 head, for that matter) end up "not keeping up." Tank gets low, tilt and twirl to re-wet, and back into flavor town! Its possible the Vape store was using (and I hate to use this term, because sometimes, they're better than the original) "cheap china knockoffs" of a kanger T2 style tank...and those had crappy silica, which in turn won't keep up as well.

To go with what I just said, the only advice I can give would be to use "good" silica for the re-wick, when its needed. I've used bad and good, and the good stuff certainly delivers more flavor and wicks far superior.

For the longest time, I used another clearo before I'd gotten my tritons and tanks, and it was good, but then I'd re-wick it, and it was a miserable vape. (I've found this is partly due to myself just not liking bottom coils), but I recently changed where I buy my silica from, and got some of the better 3mm braided. Re-wicked them on a whim to see, and the flavor was muuuuuch better in them.I still personally prefer the kick to the tastebuds that the Triton tanks deliver though.

How would I person like me be able to tell good silica from bad? What should I look for?

Wes Keene

Kat Eyez

ECF Veteran
The burned looking wick ends are actually not the "burned coils" as they call it when a coil gets burned out. It's just the natural effect of the coil heating your liquid inside. It's impossible to vape and not get those charred looking wick tips. I too have all Halo Triton systems and once I put a fresh coil in, the wick tips become charred after a day or two. But don't worry, you are not doing any damage to your coil.

And yes, you will absolutely notice when a coil is burned out. It literally taste burned. One of the many great things I love about my Triton is that along with the battery, the coils last an amazingly long period of time...at least in my case. And believe me when I say I vape "all day erryday" ;)! I have had mine since Christmas and have yet to burn a coil out. I'm still using the same one that came with the original unit :cool:!

Hope this helped and happy vaping!

Kat Eyez

ECF Veteran
DaveOno:11957796 said:
When I visited that vape shop they had all their samplers in top coil tanks similar to the Triton tanks. They stored them upside down (on their mouthpiece) instead of the battery end. I asked them why? They said because it helps keep the coils and wicks saturated with juice so you don't burn the coils. He said sometimes when you vape too long or too much the wicks don't draw up the juice fast enough and it helps to keep the wicks saturated.

I was scared of leaking so I have 4 tanks in a little ziploc bag stored on their mouthpieces in the Halo tin so far I haven't had any leaking.

I disagree. A Triton wick stays fairly saturated. I have a tank, almost no juice in the bottom, but the wicks remain wet. A quick tumble if it's been untouched, and it should be good to go.

Now what kind of tanks the vape store had with wicks that can't keep up with the triton, I don't know.

Finally, don't be scared of leaking. Ask Diva how she copes.

Yes, I agree

Last edited:

Kat Eyez

ECF Veteran
It definitely helps. Do you even bother trying to remove the charring, or have found it irrelevant?

Wes Keene
I actually do, but it never comes completely out so I don't go nuts over it, but it is a bit of an eye sore. Really, all I do when cleaning is gently place my coil in a paper towel and press out all the dirty, old juice...a good example would be like towel drying your hair... I don't get too aggressive, but I do it enough to get it pretty clean looking. I know a lot of you use water and some even use alcohol, but I'm always too scared to even get it wet (for fear of not COMPLETELY drying it out and then burning it). For me this approach has worked great! After every cleaning my vapes taste amazing and I feel better about not putting such a rigorous cleaning on my coils--if ya know what I mean. Sometimes less is best. Im sure in the future once I'm a little more comfortable with it, I'll go all out with my cleanings but for now, this has worked great:)

Last edited:

Kat Eyez

ECF Veteran
Yes, I agree with DaveOno on the Triton wick thing (I tried to quote the text but I messed it up I guess :oops:). Ive actually used mine with no liquid at all in the tank other than what the wicks had already absorbed...I know- how dumb am I right?! In my defense I had only been vaping a week, if that, and it was the very last of all my liquid, plus, I simply knew no better. Nowadays you'd be hard pressed to see me with my tank less than 2/3 full but Im happy to say that my coils did not get burned and I'm actually still using that same one!!! Pretty impressive I'd say! I would def not recommend anyone doing that though. Perhaps I just get lucky:blush:.

Last edited:

Fenris4024

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Lubbock, TX
How would I person like me be able to tell good silica from bad? What should I look for?

Wes Keene

Well, you want German silica for the most part. 2mm braided would be absolutely ideal, but I haven't been able to find any of that yet.

RTD's silica is German, but they currently only have 3mm,so that won't be of much help. I still have a ton from when they had the 1mm, 1.5 and 2mm in stock. They do carry the infamous ekowool as well, but I've never tried it yet.

Maybe I'll order some this week after payday to play with...

Bad silica, for lack of a better way to put it, will taste "silica-y" when it's used in a tank. (the first couple of vapes will always have an off taste though, no matter the quality of the silica) It also won't hold up to dry burning very well, and sometimes will pop and fray from it.

Tapped out on a phone... I think

Last edited:

DaveOno

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
Dutchess County, New York
Yes, I agree with DaveOno on the Triton wick thing (I tried to quote the text but I messed it up I guess :oops:). Ive actually used mine with no liquid at all in the tank other than what the wicks had already absorbed...I know- how dumb am I right?! In my defense I had only been vaping a week, if that, and it was the very last of all my liquid, plus, I simply knew no better. Nowadays you'd be hard pressed to see me with my tank less than 2/3 full but Im happy to say that my coils did not get burned and I'm actually still using that same one!!! Pretty impressive I'd say! I would def not recommend anyone doing that though. Perhaps I just get lucky:blush:.

Hey Kat Evez, welcom to the land of us Halons. I'm glad you are enjoying the Triton. Do you have a VV yet? They rock!

I've only killed one coil so far, but some do way better than others. I got all regular 2.2s, but I might try some higher ohms.

Congrats on your quit. And if anyone else hasn'r said it,
Because you use Halo,

You are now officially a Halon!!!!!

Welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread