Status
Not open for further replies.

Keeferes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2013
Belton; Upstate SC
www.facebook.com
I see alot of people talking about drilling out air holes on multiple devices. What I don't see is anyone saying how they do it. They give the sizes they drill too though. I would assume most use a small machine vice and a drill press, but was curious how many folks use another method?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Hdivr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2011
Rolla MO
I would spend the extra money and buy a cobalt drill bit made for high tensile steel. I believe I spent less than $2 for a 1/16 bit at our local Lowes. Made quick work of enlarging an airhole and drilling out the center pin of an RDA for bottom feed conversion. A cheapie drill bit made out of Titanium or one of the other materials wouldn't have done the job or would have snapped when applying the pressure.

Annie56

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2013
What Hdiver said! I ruined a top cap using a regular drill bit. I ended up getting cobalt bits. Cordless drill, black and decker. The battery pack is really heavy, so it sits nice on a surface. Wrap the top cap in a dish towel. Hold the cap, wrapped in the towel, with regular pliers, with airhole up to the drill bit. Start off slow. The cobalt will drill thru stainless rather effortlessly, so high speed is not necessary. I just pulse, and get the airholes drilled out to how i like.

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
I've always held the atty or cap I'm drilling in my hand. I use a corded variable speed drill and cobalt bits for 1/16 or larger. I've got a small cheap metric set I got off amazon for smaller.

I take it slow and go up in steps which it helps keep heat and the possibility of broken bits down. If I feel the material heating up I stop, let it cool off then start again.

Flt Simulation

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2014
Florida
Let me get this straight ... So, your drilling out this hole (red arrow) on your Kayfun Lite Plus just a little bit in order to get an easier draw?

AirHole.jpg

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
Let me get this straight ... So, your drilling out this hole (red arrow) on your Kayfun Lite Plus just a little bit in order to get an easier draw?

AirHole.jpg

Quite often yes, many of the clones come with air holes that are drilled smaller than the authentic version. The first releases from Tobeco were very bad I've read but it seems to be getting better now. Still many are smaller and some people...including me drilled out.

mbliffert

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2014
Ocean Springs, MS
The newest Tobeco KFL+ clones have a much larger airhole not leaving enough meat in the base to drill any larger in my opinion. With the airflow screw on its largest setting or completely removed and the restrictive stock drip tip replaced or cut down, I find the draw to be great and I only do direct lung inhales.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread