How to know when a battery is done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaketheRedPill

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2009
Southern California
Well, the short answer is, I really don't know how regulated mods with a built-in flat battery handle pop and go. I rest everything from my cellphone to my weedwacker battery :)

Long answer is, I don't know if the information in Mr. Rolygate's library post applies equally today to regulated mods with fixed batteries but I think it would. I've read that the most likely time for thermal runaway is when the batt is at 100% (or overcharged by a wall charger). Most of the replaceable cell battery safety information we have came from the real-time experience of and collaboration with the RC crowd running (and blowing up) their flying thingies on similar batts, and very smart guys here exchanging notes with them. NASA got in on the action : (page 27) http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20100037250.pdf and the Fire Dept had something to say, too : Lithium-Ion Battery Hazards | content content from Fire Protection Engineering. E-Flight warns of a 15minute post-charge observation time for their LiPo: http://www.horizonhobby.com/pdf/EFL-LiPoSafetyWarnings.pdf

So resting seems to make sense.

TaketheRedPill

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2009
Southern California
Juicynoos, I am so sorry, I didn't realize my one post would end up almost hijacking your thread. I wanted to address your question, tho since this is your thread and it's only polite :)

The answer seems about 300 times charged/discharged, barring any dents, drops, loss of voltage:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...9-how-many-charging-cycles-18650-battery.html

The only numbers given in this report on batts, 18650 battery test 2011 are for the Tennergy and the red AW IMR; a 500 cycles number is used, but you're probably not using those.

juicynoos

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
"Paradox", French West Indies
Juicynoos, I am so sorry, I didn't realize my one post would end up almost hijacking your thread. I wanted to address your question, tho since this is your thread and it's only polite :)

The answer seems about 300 times charged/discharged, barring any dents, drops, loss of voltage:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...9-how-many-charging-cycles-18650-battery.html

The only numbers given in this report on batts, 18650 battery test 2011 are for the Tennergy and the red AW IMR; a 500 cycles number is used, but you're probably not using those.

Hey don't worry about it, I already got all the answers I was looking for back by DaveP's post so help yourself lol:D

juicynoos

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
Oh, and I found your post and links very interesting and informative also. cheers:toast:

I hope you don't mind but after reading through your links, I shared them on another post that asked why mods are not built to function at much higher voltages.

What I did find though. that relates specifically to my question, was this:

Battery Life
Batteries that lose 20% of their capacity must be removed from service and disposed of properly.
Discharge the battery to 3V/Cell, making sure output wires are insulated, then wrap battery in a bag for disposal.

So there it is, 20% less capacity and they should be recycled.

Now to figure out a way to determine what 20% less capacity looks like in real world application:?:

Last edited:

cinetrope

ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2014
Joshua Tree, CA
Oh, and I found your post and links very interesting and informative also. cheers:toast:

I hope you don't mind but after reading through your links, I shared them on another post that asked why mods are not built to function at much higher voltages.

What I did find though. that relates specifically to my question, was this:

Battery Life
Batteries that lose 20% of their capacity must be removed from service and disposed of properly.
Discharge the battery to 3V/Cell, making sure output wires are insulated, then wrap battery in a bag for disposal.

So there it is, 20% less capacity and they should be recycled.

Now to figure out a way to determine what 20% less capacity looks like in real world application:?:
Some Yihi chips read joules so if a new battery were to hit 15k when discharged to 3.6v, then it would be down by 20% if it was getting 12k at a similar discharge level. I use an SX Mini and when I put a new conditioned battery in it, I write the joule number on it with a sharpie.

juicynoos

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
Some Yihi chips read joules so if a new battery were to hit 15k when discharged to 3.6v, then it would be down by 20% if it was getting 12k at a similar discharge level. I use an SX Mini and when I put a new conditioned battery in it, I write the joule number on it with a sharpie.

So now all I need to do is to buy the SXmini 350 with the latest yihi chipset, unless you want to lend me yours to check my battery's that is?!

Now you've stoked that fire again and I only just quenched it with a iPV mini 70 watt..lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread