How to mill down grand

Status
Not open for further replies.

PNW Rider

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2013
Mukilteo, Wa
I have at my disposal quite a few tools... Can anyone suggest something better than using a file and a belt sander? My Odin will be here tomorrow and my new (replacement) grand is not an LP despite ordering an LP. (Not Rob's fault)

This is the only Reo, (or ecig at all) that I have and I thought I would be back in business today. Rob has offered to mill the new grand for free including shipping but that's 5 days if I'm lucky....

Last edited:

PNW Rider

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2013
Mukilteo, Wa
Disc sander??? I found a few threads in searching after the fact... Sorry I'm just feeling incredibly defeated over everything surrounding this new Reo. I liked my old dented up one before it was stolen... Although I don't care what color my Reo is, this new one is beyond badass. It was/is a blem and I had no idea what color to expect until I opened it.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412039117.594269.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412039117.594269.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

pesky_human

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2011
Greeley, CO
www.peskyhumans.com
A Disc sander would be fine. I would set up a jig to get it true square. I am going to be doing mine in the next couple of days when I can get into the shop. I will use a knife grinder, which is a 2x72 belt grinder with a flat platen and I am anticipating that it will take me around a half hour to set up perfect, grind, and clean up. Will probably start with a 60 grit belt and then take it to 120. The face is basically ending up covered up with the atty anyway. I will maybe stick it on a buffer for a minute to get it shiny and de-burr with a surface plate and some fine sandpaper. Getting it square is key (and not taking off too much material, which with aluminum and power tools is a real concern). If you can get a block jig set up and test on something to make sure you have right angles, you could feasibly do it with a belt sander. . .

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
On the disc sander, you need be careful not to slide it around in it's own dust and scratch up the side it's laying on. Maybe cover that side with tape or something.

I was gonna do my next one on the chopsaw. Carbide tooth blade . . . .. afterwards a slightly dull carbide tooth blade. I would put a sacrificial fence across the saw for added support tho, the mod being small for such an operation.

And, put a small tab of bluetape on the rim of your 510. When you hit tape, stop. When I disc sanded mine, I marked the 510 rim with black sharpie and stopped at first sign of sharpie-gone.

SITS

PV Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2013
Reoville
I thought disc sanders oscillated and/or vibrated which wouldn't make it easy. I was hoping to find a disc sanding bit for a drill... Hasn't Google this yet but sounds like it should be a thing... The more I talk about this the more I want to send the thing back to Rob...

I haven't read the rest of the thread yet but sending it back and let Robert work on it is the smart way to go, imo.

pesky_human

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2011
Greeley, CO
www.peskyhumans.com
This would be great but I don't have one.... View attachment 377703

That's what I ended up using today. Because of the shape, it was tough to mark up, so I just kind of eyeballed it until I was close and then just took off another couple of layers. It was a piece of cake. Since it's aluminum, it gets hot rather fast, particularly if the abrasive isn't really fresh and sharp. All in all, though, with cool down periods, it took about 15 minutes. I took the bottle, delrin cover, and button out, de-burred the grind by hand with a piece of 600 grit sandpaper, and ran it under hot water to get any errant shavings out. Slapped it back together and put one of my Odins on it with a .94 ohm double coil using 9 wraps per side with 30g Kanthal. Works perfectly.

milldowngrand.jpg

pesky_human

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2011
Greeley, CO
www.peskyhumans.com
Thank you everyone. My neighbor has a smaller disc sander apparently and hopefully a way to measure the depth of the cup... I will shoot for just over 1mm depth. Then adjust if necessary.

It's a lot easier if you have a second LP to compare it to. Otherwise, you will need to get the measurement of an LP cup from somebody and try to mark it off. Honestly, it's really easy to eyeball it. As long as you don't take off too much and hit the 510 connection, you can test it with the atty of your choice to make sure you have a good connection and just stop there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread