How to polish a copper mech?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tigeercat

May 16, 2019
Hi guys!

I did a post yesterday about getting my first mech, will attach a picture.

I'm wondering, how do I go about polishing a copper mech mod?

I did try googling but seemed pretty mixed response

If someone has before and after pic and their method, that would be great!

(And what polishing a mod even means ) ‍♀️ 15622203394833620970061382224928.jpg

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
And what polishing a mod even means
Polishing a mod is a way to clean it to remove dirt, grime, oils from your hands, and patina. It is done with various polishes for specific metals. Brasso is a common polishing compound used for brass and copper mechs.

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
not too sure what is meant by "stuff it up"... but, yes, one can polish copper with Brasso or Flitz... eventually tho after a few yrs, the engravings will become shallow and hard to see. Copper "tarnishes" rather quickly and will require constant cleaning/polishing to maintain that super shiny effect. I gave up on keeping mine shiny and let it do what it wants to do... basically turn green :)

Tigeercat

May 16, 2019
not too sure what is meant by "stuff it up"... but, yes, one can polish copper with Brasso or Flitz... eventually tho after a few yrs, the engravings will become shallow and hard to see. Copper "tarnishes" rather quickly and will require constant cleaning/polishing to maintain that super shiny effect. I gave up on keeping mine shiny and let it do what it wants to do... basically turn green :)
Stuff it up.. as in ruin the mod ? Make engravings disappear

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
ahhh... okay, kinda like scuff it up, get it all scratched up etc, yes... unfortunately copper is a soft metal ( but it can be alloyed with brass or bronze to make it harder) and will show signs of wear and tear if used alot. If you want to keep the one in the picture new looking, get a mod for everyday use and put the nice one in a display case and use it on special occasions. My copper mod looks like a piece of pipe from the trash bin... ;) its scratched, dented from dropping it, bent, and green from the "tarnish"... its seen alot of use and abuse :)

Reactions: stols001

cats5365

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2013
United States
Hi guys!

I did a post yesterday about getting my first mech, will attach a picture.

I'm wondering, how do I go about polishing a copper mech mod?

I did try googling but seemed pretty mixed response

If someone has before and after pic and their method, that would be great!

(And what polishing a mod even means ) ‍♀️ View attachment 824845
I would recommend a Jeweler's polishing cloth with RED rouge like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Shino-Polishing-Cloth-12-Rouge/dp/B00VF4FWSU

It will slowly take off tarnish and not kill the shine on the mod. Any of the gritty styles of tarnish removers will take off the shine and turn your mod satin. Hand polishing will not take off the oxidation inside the designs like a liquid or dip will. Red is a good soft rouge for jewelry, but will work nicely on copper, brass, bronze, gold, and silver. Don't use your jewelry cloth on a pewter or unknown metal object because some metals will transfer to the cloth and can harm your precious/semi precious metals the next time you want to buff out your gold or silver.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
If I'm not mistaken, the vinegar in ketchup is what cleans the metal up. I've used vinagar on various metals and it cleans most metals nicely.

I mentioned brasso because the op asked about polishing specifically. I agree that it shouldn't be used regularly since it is abrasive. Cleaning with vinegar (or whatever your preferred cleaning product is) between polishes is a really good idea (unless you seek a patina) to keep from wearing the metal down quickly. But occasionally a good polish and buff is needed to restore the finish when cleaning just isn't cutting it.

Vape1048

ECF Veteran
Apr 30, 2019
Gulf Coast, TX
Mother's polishing compound is one I have seen several in shops use to keep the high end mechs looking like new. Personally, I have access to a buffing/polishing wheels at my work that makes short work of cleaning up mech tubes. Just have to use a bit of wax afterwards on a polishing cloth to remove the residue the wheel leaves. Makes them shine like new and doesn't do any damage to the metals.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Mother's polishing compound is one I have seen several in shops use to keep the high end mechs looking like new. Personally, I have access to a buffing/polishing wheels at my work that makes short work of cleaning up mech tubes. Just have to use a bit of wax afterwards on a polishing cloth to remove the residue the wheel leaves. Makes them shine like new and doesn't do any damage to the metals.

I absolutely agree that a buffing wheel works wonders and is easy on the metal. I have a bench mounted unit in my garage workshop and it has proven invaluable at times, for more than just metal work.

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread