Status
Not open for further replies.

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
wow... lots of replies... lets get into the "chemistry/mechanics" of polishing... rouge, Brasso, Flitz use an abrasive compound to remove the oxidized layer and the underlying layer of metal to "introduce" a fresh layer of unoxidized layer of metal... the ketchup, vinegar,lemon ( all acidic) "acids" remove the oxidized layer almost effectively and has minimal effectiveness on "pure" metal thus leaving a less active removal of base metal than "polishing" ( in other words, your engravings have a chance to survive) ... if you want to keep the engravings as pristine as possible, do the "acid" wash to remove most of the oxidation and then do a heavy coat of clear fingernail polish on it .... and never use it again ;)

Reactions: faygeleh

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Polish it like I do my motor sickle. Throw a bucket of water over it once a year.

Your mudder doesn't like it, even if she is a dirt bike.

Wouldnt use apple ciderunless you want your vape to smell like rotting fruit for a few days afterwards.

About time for the product warning. I've been jonesin for juicy old time lard fried MickeyD's string fries ever since I glopped the ketchup all over the kitchen a few pages back. Can't win for losin.

Good luck. :)

Last edited:

Dudeman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2009
New Bedford, MA
Nevr_Dull.jpg

Cooperant

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2018
A patina is a lovely thing. If you polish, try keeping it superficial. Just shining up the most pronounced features in the engraving and leaving the crevices dull gives a wonderful effect.

I have a collection of antique copper. When I first buy an object it will often have the crevices filled up with leftover polishing abrasives. This is not what you want. When using an abrasive go with the RED mentioned above (red of Paris). This is a tried and true method for polishing with an abrasive agent.

The buffing wheel is also a great suggestion. You can buy a small buffing tool yourself and start with the softest of the buffing wheels (often included in a small set, you'll find it for cheap in a big box store).

If you do choose a polish, try an antique polish with a very small grit or without an abrasive suspended in it. You want one that smells like paint thinner, not one that smells like amonia.

Vinegar is quick, available and cheap. The acid will however etch the metal and will not produce the shiniest of results, especially when left on long.

Lemon and salt are very effective but way too aggressive for fine engravings.

For any method (except acid methods), make sure to let active compounds evaporate and then give the surface a thorough wash. For all methods take apart mod first to avoid things getting in grooves or between moving parts.

phill_nz

ECF Veteran
Dec 1, 2018
ex kiwi navy .. we tried to avoid polishing and painting everything .. but rabid overlords with a senile desperation for the old traditions usually skittled that option
so
brasso or a metal polishing cloth from pak n save
and then ffs get some auto clear coat in spray can from super cheap and coat it .. it will last a year or so depending on use and clear coat quality ( 2 pack is way better but you need a panel beater or car painter mate to get the 5 grms you need at a reasonable cost
use fine hair artists brush ( 2$ shop stuff is fine if you get hair not nylon bristles ) to coat it .. the spray grade is thin enough that the runs drip off and the coating is still smooth
yehh i can hear the gasps .. ohh nooo dont clear coat it .. tuff titi it saves time and looks nicer longer .. till you have to strip it all off and start again

and you dont have to live with dirty smelly copper oxide on your hands all the time

Last edited:
Reactions: MacTechVpr

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU
When you do your polishing OP (I noticed you did the RDA) just be mindful of some of the chemicals you're actually using. The advice about using vinegar is bang on if you want to clean the mod (note: Clean) and with daily use a clean is more effective than a polish especially with Copper/Brass. If you do decide to polish, I'd highly recommend doing a secondary clean with vinegar to ensure none of the chemicals get into your cotton and by extension - your lungs. And for proof I'll wager that your cotton and coils will have a reddish brown hue to them after vaping.

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
It's worth mentioning that POLISH is abrasive by definition. Many mistakenly use the word as a synonym for buffing. When you polish something you're physically removing the top layer of corroded and scratched metal to reveal the clean metal underneath. Once you've polished something you need to seal it with sealant or wax and then buff it to a shine to keep it looking nice.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: escapetovape
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread