How to turn locking ring on Bagua 14500?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohaya

Verified Member
Feb 15, 2014
USA
Hi,

I just got a Bagua 14500, which is suppose to have a locking ring, but for the life of me, I can't turn it (to lock the button).

Thank goodness it wasn't in the locked position... at least I can use it :)...

I've tried with nitrile gloves, but with no success.

I was thinking I could try a pair if needle nose pliers, but don't really want to do that as I'm pretty sure that I'd scratch it :(...

Anyone?

Thanks,
Jim

pt91

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2009
AR
I didn't bring mine with me today so I might be off here but can you get a screwdriver and remove the bottom switch from the brass head on the inside of the bottom connector? That might give you more room to unscrew. They can get too tight sometimes. I use rubber bands when I don't have gloves handy.
Try to resist using pliers.

ohaya

Verified Member
Feb 15, 2014
USA
I took to bottom end apart, and unfortunately, it looks like I lost a part... probably a spring... I don't know because I can't find it anywehre around the work area.

Anyway, so I hacked a spring from my spare parts bin and am able to get the assembly back together again, but, even with it apart, I can't get the lock ring to budge at all :(...

ohaya

Verified Member
Feb 15, 2014
USA
Believe that is correct. If you turn left too hard you will unscrew the base

Two magnets in mine. Many people used springs as magnets are a bit too strong

Hi,

AHH!!!

Ok, I got the ring to turn!!

The two things you mentioned were what helped:

- Put the tailcap assembly in a freezer for awhile
- Turn the ring COUNTER-clockwise (to the left) to lock the button

Also, re. the spring: So are you saying that normally, there are two magnets with opposite polarity INSTEAD of a spring, and the opposing magnets are what holds the button open/out?

I'll try to see if I can get a magnet from the seller. He had offered to replace the whole thing, so he should be happy that I got the ring to turn and hopefully he has some spare magnets.

If he can't provide a spare magnet, is there somewhere to purchase the magnets?

THANKS!

Jim

ohaya

Verified Member
Feb 15, 2014
USA
From some msgs I found before I bought this, it seems like one of the "good" things about the Bagua 14500 was that you could stand it up without locking the ring and it wouldn't fire. That's probably why they use such strong magnets?

Fortunately, with the spring I found and hacked (had to cut it to reduce length), the Bagua can still tailstand and doesn't fire while doing that... BUT, I still want another magnet, so I've emailed the seller and hope that he can provide one.

Thanks for ALL of your help!

Jim

ohaya

Verified Member
Feb 15, 2014
USA
That is the thread. I might put a spring in mine someday if I could find the right one

The one that used came out of a driver or contact board for a flashlight. It was "straight", i.e., not conical, and I just cut it off of the contact board and luckily it fit, like a tight fit, over the post on the button part. I put the one magnet that I did find on the button, then the spring on top of that, and then put the button+magnet+spring back into the front housing and screwed the brass screw in.

ohaya

Verified Member
Feb 15, 2014
USA
Hi,

As I think I mentioned, it looks like I lost one of the magnets when I was messing around trying to get the locking ring to turn :(. The spring replacement (+ 1 remaining magnet) seems to be working "ok", but was wondering if anyone here (and in the USA) has a spare magnet (or 2) for the Bagua 14500, or knows where I can get them, that you'd be willing to sell/ship to me?

The vendor who sold me my Bagua said that he'd replace the one I have, but I think that that'd be a bit much, since I think that I was the one who lost the original :(..

Thanks,
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread