Howdy a few questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve W Pedersen

ECF Veteran
Nov 11, 2011
bakersfield,ca
I currently am a van dweller I live in my veheicle 24/7.
I have little to no access to power so no refridgeration besides ice in a cooler.
How quickly will eliquid degrade in say 104 deg heat of summer inside a container out of the direct sunlight in a van. ?
I know it's not really an anserable question lot's of variables but I am pretty sure it would degrade pretty darn quickly for me.
eliquid is kinda spendy but is still quite a bit cheaper then the snus products I was buying about 18bux a day every day.
Is it just the nic that will degrade quickly or flavor's as well ? would the raw pg/vg go bad ?

I am asking because I am toying with the idea of diy juice. If I can solve the degradation problem then I think It would be a good idea.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I keep my nic base in a freezer myself. The problem is there just isn’t a lot of available data. I don’t KNOW that the freezer is necessary. All I know is it’s degraded by heat and light, so I give it as little as possible. So far the stuff seems to have held up pretty well for me for nearly a year. I would suspect it’s good for a month, because that’s about how long juice lasts for me in a pocket. 104f is really hot though. Without an address one would think that the mail order bit of DIY would be more than a bit difficult.

CagedSpam

ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2015
FoPo, Oregon
You might try finding the total volume of one months usage. Use that number as a basis for a DIY juice run with a few flavor shots or something.

Idea being by the end of the month you have used up the current stock.
FYI 120ml of 12mg nic is $6.39 at Wizardlabs, in either 100% PG or VG.

12mg Nicotine solution - 120ml

Steve W Pedersen

ECF Veteran
Nov 11, 2011
bakersfield,ca
I rent a mail box so I have an address, and I use truck stops to shower and clean up every now and again.
Doing the van thing does not mean liveing like a refugee, you just have to make do with less.
not buying more then you can make up in a month that makes total sence thank you.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I rent a mail box so I have an address, and I use truck stops to shower and clean up every now and again.
Doing the van thing does not mean liveing like a refugee, you just have to make do with less.
not buying more then you can make up in a month that makes total sence thank you.

If you have ice in a cooler in summer, it's going to be best to store your ejuice in it.. that will keep it out of the worst of the heat as temperature rises quickly on the inside of a vehicle. .. just double or triple bag using freezer bags so water doesn't get to it..

It's either that or something like this - it's a cost but so is ice.. so over the long haul something like this thermoelectric cooler would work and maybe even save money.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Igloo-Iceless-40-Qt-Cooler/24413781

Last edited:

Steve W Pedersen

ECF Veteran
Nov 11, 2011
bakersfield,ca
How do you spend 18.00 a day on Snus?
I Snus 14 hrs a day at a pouch every 2 hrs. That's about a buck fifty a day. What am I missing?

3 cans a day . i used 5 pouches at a time( 3 lower lip 2 top lip) , went through a can pretty quickly. I haven't purchased a single can of snus in over 2 weeks.

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I too would recommend some sort of cooler, that type of heat isn't going to be good for e-liquid, especially as your vehicle heats even higher than that! I would almost think (without a cooler) that you'd be better off storing a small bottle on your person somehow, if you can achieve it, and use small bottles so they won't be in the heat as long... .Hopefully you can vape them before they degrade.

Best of luck,

Anna

Steve W Pedersen

ECF Veteran
Nov 11, 2011
bakersfield,ca
I'm already starting to percolate ideas on how to set up a waterproof partition in my cooler to hold a few bottles of things like the nicotine and flavors maybe 3 inches wide or so. Some kind of hard plastic sheeting epoxy and silicon sealers the gist.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
I'm already starting to percolate ideas on how to set up a waterproof partition in my cooler to hold a few bottles of things like the nicotine and flavors maybe 3 inches wide or so. Some kind of hard plastic sheeting epoxy and silicon sealers the gist.
Cooler idea may be over kill. I suggest any temperature over 70F& up starts getting to be a concern. Summer can really start the degradation. Could consider digging a hole in the ground in shade, big enough to store your liquids. Data suggests temperature fluctuations may be acceptable (+/- 10F in Bakersfield best case) baring no refrigeration.
re:
Soil Temperature Experiment
https://shop.perfumersapprentice.com/flavorsworkshop/shelf_life.pdf
https://www.amazon.com/Compact-Refr...ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=n:678542011,p_36:1253524011

• Useful
Reactions: stols001

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
For something to store your eliquids (and nic base if you go that route), inside a cooler - Just get a cheap, taller, plastic container from Dollar Tree or elsewhere, that has a wide-mouthed opening and a lid or cap. Put the bottles of eliquid and nic base in it and push the container as far down into the ice in your cooler as you can. Small bottles of PG & VG could fit in the container, too, or could go anywhere in the cooler. As long as you replenish the ice on a regular basis, they should be fine.

rollersk4te

ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2016
Orlando, FL
socialonlinebydesign.com
I currently am a van dweller I live in my veheicle 24/7.
I have little to no access to power so no refridgeration besides ice in a cooler.
How quickly will eliquid degrade in say 104 deg heat of summer inside a container out of the direct sunlight in a van. ?
I know it's not really an anserable question lot's of variables but I am pretty sure it would degrade pretty darn quickly for me.
Eliquid is kinda spendy but is still quite a bit cheaper then the snus products I was buying about 18bux a day every day.
Is it just the nic that will degrade quickly or flavor's as well ? would the raw pg/vg go bad ?

I am asking because I am toying with the idea of diy juice. If I can solve the degradation problem then I think It would be a good idea.
I've been in your shoes before (living without power) and honestly it takes a LOT for eliquid to degrade past the point of being useful. Like others have said, the ice cooler will be enough to keep it if you refill the ice on a daily basis. Even if the ice melts, it will stay cool inside there for quite a while. Eliquid keeps a lot longer than regular tobacco will... it's entirely ideal for your situation.

NicotineRush

Linux Mint/Mate
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2008
Living 'Off Grid'
3 cans a day . i used 5 pouches at a time( 3 lower lip 2 top lip) , went through a can pretty quickly. I haven't purchased a single can of snus in over 2 weeks.

DAMN!
American Snus? I use Swedish Snus and a 12mg pouch for me is potent. I can't imagine 5 pouches at a time.

NicotineRush

Linux Mint/Mate
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2008
Living 'Off Grid'
I lived on a small sailboat for many many years. Used one of these. Expensive, but quiet and works on ac/12v dc. It was worth every penny. It's still running almost 20 yrs later.

engel.png

Capt.shay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
W. Ma. U.S.A.

You mean something like a re-purposed sour cream or deli container or something like that?

CagedSpam

ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2015
FoPo, Oregon
Reminds me of a story about Steven Harris, the portable power guy.

He was a traveling salesman, instead of buying ice he used a countertop ice maker hooked up to the car battery/inverter to make ice while driving. They run about 170.00$ US. Item NewAir AI-100S 28-Pound Portable Ice Maker.

Found at solar 1234.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread