Howdy; Basic Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

weatherman

Dec 24, 2013
BKNY
I'm an ex-cigarette smoker who hasn't ever really lost the urge to puff on something every now and again. I found my old pipe a little while ago and it got me thinking it would be nice to take up again, but perhaps without the health risks of burning tobacco. I was tempted by some of these fancier wooden pipes I've seen for $100-$200, but I figure before I commit to spending that much, I'd better see if an epipe is really something I'm going to enjoy. So I bought one of these Karma K1000 epipes for $50, but before I use it I have some basic questions;

1) if I'm looking for that pipe/hookah experience, what kind of juice should I get? I'm thinking traditional like apple and cherry flavors with a light tobacco taste.
2) how the heck do I fill the tank on this thing? I guess it's a "clearomizer" from what I've read, but it seems like the hole to add juice is really small - too small for the eyedropper style dispenser that my first sample juice came in.
3) what kind of parts do I need to get to optimize the experience? The tank that it came with will have to replaced eventually, right? So what should I replace it with? I gather that it's 510-compatible, but I've read about eGo adapters and don't really understand what that's all about.

sorry for being such a noob. Help an old timer out!

weatherman

Dec 24, 2013
BKNY
image.jpg image.jpg

Catuela

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
Chester, VA
That is a top coil. With that I would let my liquid hit the rim just inside the opening so it will run down the side of the glass into the tank. I had the same problem as you when I first started, worried about getting liquid into the center, with a steady hand letting the liquid run down the side my problem went away.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Nice looking pipe mod. The "tank" portion which holds the juice and has the atomizer (heating coil which turns the liquid into vapor) appears to be a clearomizer - I can see string wicks within the tank in some pictures of this tank. The other pipe mods that I have seen in the past have used a cartotank as the tank portion.

PROPER TERMINOLOGY: IS IT A CARTO, A TANK, OR WHAT?

The coil heads used in clearomizers must be exchanged every 2 - 3 weeks as they go bad or decrease in performance. Before buying this pipe mod I'd make absolutely certain that replacement coil heads are available and purchase extras to have some in backup. The below image is of another type of clearomizer, but it shows the parts of a typical clearomizer and the replacement coil head which eventually will need to be replaced.

clearomizers.jpg

After watching the above video, it appears that the tank and batteries that come with this pipe are of poor quality and will need to be replaced. I seems any 510-thread clearomizer (Kanger Protank or Innokin iClear 30B) will work in the pipe without an adaptor. It's not specified what size battery it uses, but based on the pictures it will take an IMR 18350 flat top battery like an Efest IMR 18350 flat top. This size battery will last around 8 hours between charges, so you may want to pick up two or three. You'll also need a battery charger that will charge an 18350 battery.

Kamry k1000 pipe mod

Innokin iClear 30S

Kanger Protank 3

Innokin iClear 30S replacement head

Replacement heads for the Kanger Protank

Efest 18350 IMR flat-top battery

Xtar XP1 Battery Charger

Last edited:

weatherman

Dec 24, 2013
BKNY
Ah, I see. I thought the juice went in the middle but actually there is a little are around the center hole that is the spongy bit? Now it makes sense. Thanks catuela.

As for the replacement carts/tanks from the video it looks like there might be a few options but the mini pro tank looks nice - not huge like the "crappy" one that came with the Kamry (I haven't tried it yet nor do I have anything to compare it to so I don't actually know it's crappy, just going with what the guy in the vid said). Anyway, thanks for that video link, baditude - I hadn't seen that one. Very helpful.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Ah, I see. I thought the juice went in the middle but actually there is a little are around the center hole that is the spongy bit? Now it makes sense. Thanks catuela.

As for the replacement carts/tanks from the video it looks like there might be a few options but the mini pro tank looks nice - not huge like the "crappy" one that came with the Kamry (I haven't tried it yet nor do I have anything to compare it to so I don't actually know it's crappy, just going with what the guy in the vid said). Anyway, thanks for that video link, baditude - I hadn't seen that one. Very helpful.

Every clearomizer tank will have a demo or review on YouTube. Just go to YouTube and type in the search function the name of the clearomizer you are interested in. You should get at minimum a couple of videos that show how to fill and care for that clearomizer.

weatherman

Dec 24, 2013
BKNY
FWIW it turns out the tank unscrews so I loaded it with some juice directly for the top. Worked pretty well for my first vape ever - used some vanilla mint from Free State Vapor. I don't taste the mint, but maybe that's because I'm using this like a pipe instead of a cig. Overall, actually pretty happy with the k1000, I just need to find the right juice to go with my morning coffee. I'm actually pretty excited about his vaping thing. It satisfies the urge without being nearly as noxious!

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
FWIW it turns out the tank unscrews so I loaded it with some juice directly for the top. Worked pretty well for my first vape ever - used some vanilla mint from Free State Vapor. I don't taste the mint, but maybe that's because I'm using this like a pipe instead of a cig. Overall, actually pretty happy with the k1000, I just need to find the right juice to go with my morning coffee. I'm actually pretty excited about his vaping thing. It satisfies the urge without being nearly as noxious!

You don't need to inhale like a cig to get the flavor, puff it like a pipe into your mouth and exhale it through your nose.

There are a slew of coffee flavors that go well in the AM, or for a contrasting flavor cinnamon roll, or orange....:)

anuther1

Jan 5, 2014
Denver, CO
I bought this pipe for the boyfriend, and he LOVES it, but I can't find a replacement coil for it. Protank 3 works well, but the drip tip doesn't quite fit in.

Ideas? I'm open to replacing the tank, as we have tons of options and I don't mind buying a new tank, but he would really like to keep the tank and just replace the coils when necessary. FWIW - the original coil lasted 2 1/2 weeks before it started tasting a little burnt. I rinsed it and dry-burned to try to eek a couple more days.... But then gave him the PT3 for it, for now.

anuther1

Jan 5, 2014
Denver, CO
I am impatient, and a lover-of-internet-research. I finally found someone who has replacement parts! One person on ebay : aseelkareem . That's it. I looked EVERYWHERE, including Kamrytech, FT and Alibaba!

BTW - The vivi nova coil looks VERY much like the coil that goes in this tank, but it doesn't. It will fit, but will not fire. We found that out after the best B&M in our area gave us one, as their "last one for that tank". Oh well, another $3 for nothing. Maybe I will buy him a Vivi Nova tank, also, to see how that works. The pipe drip tip is longer than any of my Kanger ones, though, so I don't know whether it will fit the Vivi Nova tank....

So silly. I kinda wish that I hadn't bought him this one now. But since he loves it, I will indulge him. :)

freeatlast!

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2013
Kansas, USA
kestra.zenfolio.com
I have that little pipe (in pink) - thought they were so cute I couldn't resist, although I 've never smoked a pipe!! But I love it! I did use the tank that came with it for a while and it worked okay, but now I have a Smok PBC V2 on it - looks very similar but uses a little different wicking setup and is bottom coil. They are inexpensive and can be bought here: 2.5mL PBC V2 Tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread