i bought vaporesso revenger how should i charge it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
Its best to use an external charger. Even though most mods can be charged with the USB port, they dont always charge the batteries evenly. I only charge mine off the usb port in a pinch, like if im in the car and external charger is at home. Some mods, like the voopoo drag do charge evenly with the usb port. But for the most part, use external.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Most people will say (myself included) use an external charger.

It's often faster charging. It charges batteries equally. It saves your micro USB port for its primary function, which is downloading firmware updates from your computer. Daily battery charging via micro USB can result in unnecessary wear and tear of the port.

And should worse come to worse, should a battery explode while charging, at least you still have your mod. (Should you decide to charge internally anyway, don't use your computer as the power source. Should the battery explode, not only will your mod be destroyed but so will your computer.)

TIPS: Charge on a flame-resistant surface. Don't charge batteries while away from home.

Indoor security camera recording of exploding battery while charging.​

Last edited:

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
Ideally, you should charge them externally if you can. If you get a second set of batteries, you can even use one while the other is charging. Although many devices are capable of "vape while charging," it isn't really recommended and even if you do, you'll be tethered to the wall until the charge is complete.

Amielzzz

May 1, 2018
Most people will say (myself included) use an external charger.

It's often faster charging. It charges batteries equally. It saves your micro USB port for its primary function, which is downloading firmware updates from your computer. Daily battery charging via micro USB can result in unnecessary wear and tear of the port.

And should worse come to worse, should a battery explode while charging, you still have your mod.
okay thanks very much to all of you guys, and i got a different question, does updating my firmware is really necessary? how often should i?

Reactions: stols001

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
okay thanks very much to all of you guys, and i got a different question, does updating my firmware is really necessary? how often should i?
No, its not necessary unless your particular mod had a known glitch post production. Check to see if your mod has a dedicated thread on this forum. APV and Mods Discussion

Some firmware updates may allow you to customize your display screen, or to create different vape profiles. But not necessary.

Last edited:

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
Should you decide to get wild and charge with the usb port ?? make dam sure it is not a 2 amp charger
buddy found out the hard way what happens with a 2 amp charger

batteries and mod are toast !!
What mod? Amps are "pulled, not pushed." A 2-amp AC adapter ("wall wart") is "capable" of supplying up to two amps before it overheats. It should not "force" two amps into a device that only draws half an amp. That should all be taken care of on the receiving end, by the charging circuitry inside the mod that actually draws power from the adapter. What you should never do is use an adapter with an output rated less than your device will draw. That is when you are asking for trouble.

denali_41

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2011
Over Der
What mod? Amps are "pulled, not pushed." A 2-amp AC adapter ("wall wart") is "capable" of supplying up to two amps before it overheats. It should not "force" two amps into a device that only draws half an amp. That should all be taken care of on the receiving end, by the charging circuitry inside the mod that actually draws power from the adapter. What you should never do is use an adapter with an output rated less than your device will draw. That is when you are asking for trouble.

i'll try to get some pics the next time i see him

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
hi, i bought vaporesso with a couple of 18650 batteries and i wonder if i should charge my batteries when they're inside the revenger or with an external charger?
there is any difference ?
thanks!

Unless your mod is defective, just plug and charge. Chargers can be defective too, so it's not going to be a perfect solution from God as some believe.

This is something that I keep debating as people are stuck in the belief that internal charging is the devil.

The cave-at are the wear on the port if you're not gentle (same as with cell phones and such).

There's more risk to the batteries from taking them out and getting caught and ripping the wraps and shorting them (the usual way that most people end up destroying their batteries).

I've been testing several mods, some for over 2-3 years now, and they all charge batteries just fine.

If you get worried, just take a multimeter and test them every few months, switch them around in your mod.

Same advice I'd give even with using a charger.

The mod manufacturers have been making better and better protection for charging internaly, and I've seldom seen reports of internal charging destroying batteries. Lots of people shorting them (when handling them), many sealed mods with a battery that goes bad, lots of mech mods that people using bad builds, faulty devices, bad batteries, etc. that end up on the news... but internal charging going bad, it's quite rare.

It's more important to be certain that you have good batteries and that they are married and stay balanced, and don't charge at high rate... 0.5 to 1A rate is what I recommend so that the battery stays cooler and fills up correctly.

• Optimistic

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada

Firmware are usually more about new features... once in a while it's be for correcting a bad programing bug, but most are for additional things.

I've done it on a few of mine, such as it increased the wattage capacity, improved the interface.. others, I've actually downgraded to a previous version that had features that had been removed, some that the newer firmware made the TC work badly (causing the mod to misread the resistance or jump out of TC) while the older firmware worked just fine.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
i know exactly what he said,and i replied i'd try to get pics of the mod that was charged using a 2amp wall wart

It's very possible that it was not really the Amp capacity that would be the reason, but simply that the adapter was a piece of crap and caused an overload. Also possible, power surge on the outlet that simply fried the adapter and anything plugged in it.

Always buy and use good adapters that are reputable brands which are certified. Never get those cheap 1-2$ from dollar stores. And use good power bars with a proper regulating circuit, even better: an UPS.

Last edited:

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
When you have two (or more) batteries in a series circuit, and there is no system to prevent it, a battery with a higher charge state will discharge to the other batteries and increase their charge until they're all balanced.

Test this.

If you have a dual battery device, use it for a solid 15-20 minutes. Remove the batteries and put them on a charger. You should see anywhere from 0.05 to as many as 0.4 Volts difference.

Leave that mod alone for a few hours, remove the batteries and check their charge.

• Useful

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I think the opinions on this are sort of variant in this thread. I will state the reasons I choose to use an external charger although everyone can decide for themselves.

Convenience: I can charge batteries ahead of time, and carry some if needed.
Consistency: I know how my charger charges, I know that I am charging the same way every time.

Not overstressing the batteries or the mod: batteries usually have a time tor rest after charging, and the mod is not constantly being vaped and even worse in my opinion, sometimes being vaped via passthrough, which is sort of asking the batteries to charge-discharge-charge rapidly in sequence and the mod is pretty much always under "use" so to speak, if charging via USB.
Charging is even (I realize this is a debatable point, but there are certainly mods that charge unevenly and are known to do so.
Charging can be contained to a safe location with an external charger (this can happen too with a USB charger, but it's a bit harder to contain things and especially on the go). Etc.

If anything happens to a battery while charging, it will not damage your mod. If they are in the mod well, the mod will be toast.

Wear and tear on the USB port, not immediately but over time, certainly.

So those are my reasons. You can certainly do what you'd like but there are many, proven benefits to an external charger.

Anna

• Useful
Reactions: Baditude
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread