I cringe when I see the title of this particular forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobsyeruncle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Sep 5, 2010
    in a cave, eh?
    I believe there's already an "idrag" app out there. ;)

9457404487b.jpg

:D

Puffadder

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 29, 2011
    Punta Gorda Belize / NJ
    ipuff sounds a little girly to me. Would you guys vape an ipuff? Maybe you could make ipuffs for the girls and idrags for the guys? lol, I don't know

I thought iPad sounded a little womanly as well but it didn't seem to hurt sales. Of course the iSheeple will buy anything with that logo on it.

Puffadder

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 29, 2011
    Punta Gorda Belize / NJ
    Nope, a 'poofta' is slang for a gay man, that would be a 'tranny' (as in transvestite)

NOT that I use these horrid words! :)

Just making a play on words, however try googling puffta you might be surprised. I seems the teens over there are using this version of it with pride.

DuncanDisordely

ECF Veteran
    Feb 17, 2011
    London
    Just making a play on words, however try googling puffta you might be surprised. I seems the teens over there are using this version of it with pride.

Yep throughout history there has always been a degradation of the english language through repeated mispellings becoming the accepted vernacular or even colloquialisms. One day txtspeek will be referred to as 'old english' :)

Caddyman

Unregistered Supplier
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 22, 2010
    Delaware USA
    chaseweb.biz
    I think it is probably named e-smoking because the owners of ECF wanted to use as many different terms as possible on the frontpage of the site.

This makes very good sense in the internet world, all of the keywords they want to rank for on Google and the other SE's are covered. This is why you see such a variation of different terms for vaping on ECF.

>IMO< (and i could be totally wrong too)

DuncanDisordely

ECF Veteran
    Feb 17, 2011
    London
    The keywords that are most important in SEO are usually the ones you can't see, the ones hidden away in the code, what we post on here comes secondplace. There is no actual reason technically speaking for the word/s not to be changed. Well, it does add a bit, but what I am saying is that it is not vital, the terms e-cig e-cigarrete etc could be hidden away and this site would still be linked by google against such a search.

Starspecks

ECF Veteran
    Feb 5, 2010
    Florida
    Why would you want the public to identify with terms that have such a negative connotation? Isn't lazy? Why not make sure the public is aware of these new terms ie: vaping, vapor, pv etc. in order for us to make it clear how different this is than smoking. Otherwise we are ASKING to be prosecuted the same way smoking has been. The general public is ignorant. The sheep hear smoking and cigarette they will treat it the same without a second thought, as we have all experienced.
    I can't speak for anyone but myself, however, I believe a term that the public can identify with is important .. and vaping is not that term .. IMO .. it may be fine for those in the know, however, the general public is not going to understand it ..

Sent from my Evo

Caddyman

Unregistered Supplier
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 22, 2010
    Delaware USA
    chaseweb.biz
    The keywords that are most important in SEO are usually the ones you can't see, the ones hidden away in the code, what we post on here comes secondplace. There is no actual reason technically speaking for the word/s not to be changed. Well, it does add a bit, but what I am saying is that it is not vital, the terms e-cig e-cigarrete etc could be hidden away and this site would still be linked by google against such a search.

not true really, hiding keywords is a good way to get a smack from google, get thrown in the sandbox, or worse. the most important parts of seo are your title tag, meta description, and the content on the site.

the #1 rule of seo is content is king, this is the main reason ecf dominates google for ecig terms, massive content with related keywords.

sure they could make this sections name "general vaping discussion" and then in the meta description have it say "general e-smoking discussion" that would be fine, but not nearly as effective as having the actual page title of the forum be "general e-smoking discussion" for targeting that "e-smoking" keyword.

when google spiders read pages the order of relevance inside a site

keyword in URL (look up, e-smoking is in there)
    page title content
    meta description content
    body content

source

like i said, the naming of this section may or may not have been by design, i don't know....but i do know seo.

DuncanDisordely

ECF Veteran
    Feb 17, 2011
    London
    not true really, hiding keywords is a good way to get a smack from google, get thrown in the sandbox, or worse. the most important parts of seo are your title tag, meta description, and the content on the site.

the #1 rule of seo is content is king, this is the main reason ecf dominates google for ecig terms, massive content with related keywords.

sure they could make this sections name "general vaping discussion" and then in the meta description have it say "general e-smoking discussion" that would be fine, but not nearly as effective as having the actual page title of the forum be "general e-smoking discussion" for targeting that "e-smoking" keyword.

when google spiders read pages the order of relevance inside a site

keyword in URL (look up, e-smoking is in there)
    page title content
    meta description content
    body content

source

like i said, the naming of this section may or may not have been by design, i don't know....but i do know seo.

I've run SEO based web design for years, and while I agree with everything you're saying I was making the point that it's not essential to have the words cig or cigarette in the title for ECF to be found under those terms, yes I did make a hash of my explanation but I was trying to make that point and not explain SEO as that was irrelevant to my point.

Btw, the 'hidden code' I mentioned, I was referring to the meta tags/content. Not everyone reading this is going to be conversant in IT lingo.

Happy vaping! :)

Puffadder

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 29, 2011
    Punta Gorda Belize / NJ
    Yep throughout history there has always been a degradation of the english language through repeated mispellings becoming the accepted vernacular or even colloquialisms. One day txtspeek will be referred to as 'old english' :)

The only stagnant languages are dead or dying languages so yeah that will always be the case. However I applaud what these kids are doing in that they are reclaiming a derogatory term and taking ownership of it as opposed to crying about it's use to the PC police. Much in the same way you and Caddyman just took ownership of being geeks.

There is no such thing as an offensive word. Sure people choose to be offended by words but it is merely a fault of the person being offended and not the word itself. And yes people use words with intent to cause psychological injury to one another and that is what the person feeling offended by a word is really taking umbrage to. The intent and not the word </RANT>

DuncanDisordely

ECF Veteran
    Feb 17, 2011
    London
    The only stagnant languages are dead or dying languages so yeah that will always be the case. However I applaud what these kids are doing in that they are reclaiming a derogatory term and taking ownership of it as opposed to crying about it's use to the PC police. Much in the same way you and Caddyman just took ownership of being geeks.

There is no such thing as an offensive word. Sure people choose to be offended by words but it is merely a fault of the person being offended and not the word itself. And yes people use words with intent to cause psychological injury to one another and that is what the person feeling offended by a word is really taking umbrage to. The intent and not the word </RANT>

Y'know, I had to go and 'google' again after reading your post, I missed this the first time round - gay guys have started referring to themselves as puffters eh? Well that shines a new light on things, I completely agree with what you're saying here :)

This is along similar lines to what I try to advise my kids to do when being taunted, take it on the chin and smile :):):), mainly because that annoys the 'taunter' more though :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread