I dispise Voopoo...

Status
Not open for further replies.

smoked25years

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2018
For those like me that hate having to watch a 8 minute video just to see what this is about...

Cliff Notes: Voopoo sponsored a video by Ben Phillips, a Youtuber popular with kids, and the video was not age restricted. (looks like he fixed it though)

Maybe I should video my response and post it. ;) haha. I don't watch Ben Phillips but it seems that the mistake is corrected. Looking at his video there does appear to be warnings and an age restriction. Perhaps he edited it.

Is Voopoo targeting young people... well... the other day, I noticed that Voopoo's slogan is "The vape of young people".

Just noticed that the links to Voopoo say "The vape of young people"... might be best to get rid of that slogan--haha!

VOOPOO® VAPE - Spark Your Moments - Drag|Vape wholesale|Vapour cigarettes|E cigs|E cigarettes|E cigarettes supplies|The vape of young people

Probably best to get rid of that slogan.

Last edited:

tailland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2018
Germany
I have mixed feelings about this particular incident.

There is a tendency in the "community" to be overly defensive about vaping, and I can only guess it's because vaping has some powerful opponents which have lots of influence over public opinion. The fear that events like this could be used against vaping makes certain people act like "appeasers", aka cowards.

The reality, however, is this: Vaping itself is not a public health hazard, unlike tobacco, unlike alcohol, and other things. I don't want vaping be named in the same breath as these things, and none of you should act submissively towards this public myth either.

Speaking generally, I have a problem with companies advertising directed towards children. And I don't particularly appreciate the idea of kids being lured into vaping by advertising. This is a bad practice.

But I'm also not going to act as if Voopoo has done some kind of unforgivable thing here, which deserves this faux outrage, just because some anti-vaping proponents will pick this up and use it for their purposes. Don't be played like a fiddle.

We have to be more self-confident than this.

Last edited:

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
It's not appeasement. It's illegal to market to minors. Voopoo took a deliberate step to circumvent the laws to get minors engaged and interested in their products.

If Absolut did the same with flavored vodkas my reaction would be the same. That's not appeasement, that's expecting a manufacturer to act responsibly.

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    • Deleted by Misty
    • Reason: inappropriate posts excessive ridiculing

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 18, 2013
    Chicago
    • Deleted by Misty

Tonee N

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 24, 2017
    Nevada
    I have seen 2 companies whose advertising is inappropriate, one the guy was sitting in a jungle gym vaping and the other was a girl shooting product with an air rifle. I did contact them and told them this is bad advertising due to the political surrounding vaping in the US.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 20, 2017
    Boston
    • Deleted by Misty

smoked25years

ECF Veteran
    Mar 8, 2018
    I switched to "restricted mode" and I can still see Vaping with Vic's videos. Hmmm. ???

vaping-with-vic.jpg

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    I swear to all that is good and holy, whomever is in charge of Voopoo's marketing needs some serious reeducation (or education) on what is good and what isn't. From "competitions" that are basically who has the most friends and popularity (LOL I wrote a scathing post on that competition thread then deleted it, and people are "liking" it, I want to tell them to STOP IT.) But everything... is so weird.

I get the name fail but when that happens, rename yourself! That's what everyone else does. Their stuff is, uh, whimsical to say the least IN GENERAL.

But marketing to "young people" (and I get they want to be the young adult-er vape I think) and to kids is JUST NOT ACCEPTABLE.

If you can't find a way to do it like Virginia Slims, DON'T DO IT AT ALL. Not that I think VS maketing is all that great, but it makes sense they are targeting women, and it's NOT THAT offensive.

Voopoo the mod that is NOT FOR YOU I say. There you go Voopoo, l made you a slogan and it works.

wackygt

Nov 4, 2018
    I have to say Voopoo's lack of common sense amazes me. At least with last year's fiasco there were 2 sides to it and may not have been their fault. This time though...

Such a shame as I really like their gear (other than their coils) but they do need to cut out these sorts of errors in judgement.

Of course this has to happen when 5 of us are expected to review their products in the next couple of weeks!!

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Well review the products fairly... Then pass judgement/review the company.

Honestly (though I don't think I own much if any of their stuff a lot of it has a decent reputation) that is what I would do.

Products aren't separate from the manufacturers who make and sell them as many a boycott for "social reasons" has shown.

If you care, mention it. If you don't care (many folks don't I'm sure) then don't mention it.

Anna

dom qp

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 15, 2015
    South Central... Ontario
    I have to say Voopoo's lack of common sense amazes me. At least with last year's fiasco there were 2 sides to it and may not have been their fault. This time though...

Such a shame as I really like their gear (other than their coils) but they do need to cut out these sorts of errors in judgement.

Of course this has to happen when 5 of us are expected to review their products in the next couple of weeks!!

I was told i'd be getting an X217... comes with 2* 21700 batteries and has to be shipped by EMS. IIRC she said it could take months.

I bet by then everyone will have forgotten and things will be back to normal.

I'd be reviewing the product and not the company anyways.

F-machine

ECF Veteran
    Nov 24, 2018
    Trapped in Asia
    Voopoo don't care about U.S. laws.. They won't even cringe or nudge, just like their government towards US relations. You guys reserve the liberty of boycotting whomever you like. Should be good for yah and all vapers worldwide. That's just the way it is. And my location has nothing to do with my opinion. Cheers!

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    One would think that Voo Poo is aware that vaping in general is under some public and governmental scrutiny worldwide, and they need to be careful of not directing their marketing strategies towards underage people. Intentional or not, Juul came under scrutiny for similar reasons and that may or may not affect the future of Juul.

wackygt

Nov 4, 2018
    I was told i'd be getting an X217... comes with 2* 21700 batteries and has to be shipped by EMS. IIRC she said it could take months.

I bet by then everyone will have forgotten and things will be back to normal.

I'd be reviewing the product and not the company anyways.

Fair point and definitely the right way to go about it. I requested a Drag 2 which should be with me next Tuesday although because they insist on it being signed for, I am having to take half a day off work as DHL will not leave it with a neighbour etc

• Optimistic
    Reactions: stols001

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Voodoo did a stupid with that ad. Their name has issues too. What I see is a Chinese company that had a bit more than the usual disconnect with the American market than usual. Are they evil? No more evil than the average corporation imho. They do need to pay more attention to the cultural aspects of their marketing in foreign nations though. Is it fair to say that they would market to kids if they could? Probably. But that is true of any corporation. The ONLY interest a corporation has by definition is maximum return for share holders. By any means. That’s how capitalism works. It is at least supposed to be the job of the government to regulate the behavior of corporations to limit the amount of evil they do to everyone else in their unseeing mindless dash towards wealth. Corporations do not have morals. They are not human. They are a conceptual non human construct given theoretically limited rights in the name of efficiency.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread