• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

I have been missing in action

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mary Kay

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Tampa Fl.
My best friends Aunt passed away on the first. When my friend and I were kids (young teens) I would go to her house and watch her mom, aunt and thier friends play cards.. and talk, do hair and laugh. It took a couple of years but they let us play too, We would all go fishing on the Gandy bridge at night or just go places. The older ladies treated us like we were one of the "girls". Aunt Norma was one of those fearless people who would go anywhere at the drop of the hat! Her hubby only fished and worked..so she just told him.."You don't want to go..fine!, I am going on my own" And she did.
As I got older and Mike didn't want to drive to Tampa to visit family and friends, or to go out..I said I am in my Aunt Norma years and I would just go on my own! I did.
My friend told Aunt Norma about it and the next time I saw her she asked me what I meant. I told her she was a great lady, was fearless and independent so I decided to be her! She was just amazed and started to cry. She said she never thought she amounted to much and couldn't believe anyone would want to be like her!
She has two daughters that adore her and nieces, nephews and grandchildren as well as friends who will never forget her..that's the true worth of a human life, the love you give and recieve.
She got diagnosed with Parkinsons about 3 years ago and was active until this year. Her daughter, a Nurse took care of her. She worked catering and sewing clothes to put her girls thru school. They are lost right now without thier mom.
Two of my childhood friends and I are going to the service Sat. My other friend who's Aunt it is, will be coming down from St. Louis with her family. A very sad reunion.
Thanks for letting me talk it out.

Old Chemist

ECF Veteran
Dec 23, 2009
Poland
starychemik.wordpress.com
Mary Kay - the most important thing is - memories. People live as long as you preserve the memories about them. Therefore - she will still live with you, although she is already over the rainbow.
As I can see she was really a very special person - thanks for sharing this with us.

PS> Hope you don't mind me posting in Women's room.

Last edited:

Mary Kay

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Tampa Fl.
Thank you, very kind ofyou.
Right now I am very sad, but it was truly a blessing for her to just slip away. She was in great disress at the end and she just wanted to go on to her next adventure. When my time comes I can only hope I follow again in her footsteps and leave this earth with as much grace and dignity as Aunt Norma.

Alatariel

ECF Veteran
May 19, 2011
Tasmania
im sorry to hear mary *hug*
my grandmother had parkinsons.
i noticed it when i was a kid but never said anything because i didnt know what it was and the first thing that came to mind was a nervous tick. then a couple of years later she found out she had it. i felt so bad.
i flew up to canberra to be with my papa and help him. we went and visited her every afternoon and it was the hardest thing ever. she would say things in almost riddles, and sometimes things that didnt quite happen.
but i am glad i got to see her and spend more time with her.

life goes on and wounds heal. memories will always bring a smile and a tear and they might hurt for a while but, they will always cheer you up.
hugs for you and your family. we're here for you :)

Mary Kay

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Tampa Fl.
Thank you all so much. I am sad but not upset..She lived a long and fruitfull life. It's always amazes me that those people who make a mark in our lives..don't even know it! She thought she didn't amount to much..but she did, by living her life and being a fine example. She was like ripple on the water..ever expanding.
Yes, I am glad she knew she was appreciated, not just by her daughters and family.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread