I have questions about: Venting holes

Status
Not open for further replies.

DocChimney

Mar 12, 2016
Venting is very important, one thing I really like about most mechanical mods is that you can run the battery in either orientation because battery positive up or down doesn't matter to a mechanical mod, all you need to do is complete the circuit and insulate all battery areas necessary from contact. Really the mod is just completing the circuit, for a large number of mods you can orient the battery however you choose.

Personally I tend to run my mechanical mods with the battery positive facing whichever way the vent holes are located, regardless of design the vent holes being close to the positive is most important to me. For example, I run all of my SMPL mods with the battery "upside down" to normal, with the positive pole facing the button, this allows the area that would be venting gasses to be closest to the venting holes.
Really? Maybe I'm thinking about boxes and applies only to that, because at least on box mods it usually says something like "WARNING: REMEMBER TO PUT BATTERIES IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION". That might be because they are wired either in series or parallel, but doesn't the current flow from the positive? Wouldn't that mean that putting it with negative up that the power has to travel for a longer distance? Maybe I'm all wrong but for me, putting it positive up would be the most natural thing to do, thanks for the info!

Froth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2014
Chipotle.
Really? Maybe I'm thinking about boxes and applies only to that, because at least on box mods it usually says something like "WARNING: REMEMBER TO PUT BATTERIES IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION". That might be because they are wired either in series or parallel, but doesn't the current flow from the positive? Wouldn't that mean that putting it with negative up that the power has to travel for a longer distance? Maybe I'm all wrong but for me, putting it positive up would be the most natural thing to do, thanks for the info!
Single tube mech mods are what I was referencing, with most boxes you have a seam or a gap that will provide sufficient venting no matter how the batteries are installed. The battery is an engine, even with it installed correctly the current must travel the exact same distance, I have done NUMEROUS voltage drop tests with the batteries oriented both directions and I can find no difference from positive up versus positive down in regards to the drain on the battery.

For a single tube mech mod the battery doesn't care about orientation in most cases, so long as the wrap is in good shape and everything that SHOULD be insulated is in good shape there is no problem with running many mods with the battery "Backwards", I have run my SMPL mods with the battery "upside down" for many months without issue, I prefer to point the positive pole of the battery at the venting holes, no matter how that orients the battery.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
But if there is no 510, what kind of connection is there? I believe there are different and as said before some where the atty and the mod is a one piece mod, but is it like threaded like the 510 (510 is the measure(or measurement, not a native English speaker sorry) of the connection, but a different size? Click it on?

This is a hybrid.
The atty has 20x1 threads.
It attaches to the body of the mod.
There is no top cap.
image.jpg

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
...one thing I really like about most mechanical mods is that you can run the battery in either orientation because battery positive up or down doesn't matter to a mechanical mod, all you need to do is complete the circuit and insulate all battery areas necessary from contact. Really the mod is just completing the circuit, for a large number of mods you can orient the battery however you choose.
Reversing Batteries in Mods
"Why do people want to insert batteries the wrong way round?
Perhaps because a battery that fails will vent first from the positive end - you can see the tiny gas vents around the positive terminal at the top. All rechargeables have these. Maybe the device being used only has gas vents at the bottom, so that the user assumes that it will be safer if the battery pos terminal is by the tubemod's gas vent.

There are so many faults in this reasoning that it is futile listing them and would take too much space. Just don't do it." ---Rolygate, ECF Forum administrator and battery expert.

Warning: battery reverse polarity in APVs

Reversed battery polarity in mechs

Reactions: KenD

Froth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2014
Chipotle.
Reversing Batteries in Mods
"Why do people want to insert batteries the wrong way round?
Perhaps because a battery that fails will vent first from the positive end - you can see the tiny gas vents around the positive terminal at the top. All rechargeables have these. Maybe the device being used only has gas vents at the bottom, so that the user assumes that it will be safer if the battery pos terminal is by the tubemod's gas vent.

There are so many faults in this reasoning that it is futile listing them and would take too much space. Just don't do it." ---Rolygate, ECF Forum administrator and battery expert.

Warning: battery reverse polarity in APVs

Reversed battery polarity in mechs
Guess someone should show that to the people who designed the Subzero mod, as the battery goes in negative towards atomizer...Note, I'm not saying that makes it right!

That first link has a section that bothers me, though.

However, if the battery is reversed, and the device's operational polarity is reversed from normal, this is a different matter. With the casing positive and 'live', a torn or worn battery label then allows a direct neg to pos short that could bypass any fuse wherever fitted, and a fire will result. The full battery discharge current will pass through the short-circuit and the battery will go into meltdown. There is an explanation of the circuit in the notes at

This simply isn't true, perhaps it was typed quickly or worded wrong on accident but when the battery position in a mechanical mod is reversed the polarity of the battery case itself does not change, the entire outside case will REMAIN negative. Meaning if there is a tear in the wrapper the negative is the entire case, so if the negative is touching your atomizer pole and there is also a tear in the wrapper which would be another negative location there is no route for the electricity to travel since contact is negative to negative, so it will not fire.

The only issue in that specific scenario which would be dangerous would be pushing the button while the wrapper is torn and contacting the body of the mod, which would cause a hard short...since we're supposed to be checking battery wraps every time we use one that isn't a personal issue for me, but I could see it being one for others. I'd prefer to have a battery vent than a mod explode, I'm not confident the SMPL has adequate venting with the battery installed positive up at the top.

Reactions: sig-cmt

sig-cmt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2015
HoustΩn, TX
Guess someone should show that to the people who designed the Subzero mod...
Or the Kennedy Roundhouse/Ruby. Vaperz Cloud. Aria Built. The list can go on. All of them are aware of the potential implications of orienting the positive downwards. All of them are also aware that venting towards the bottom is a far safer proposition than venting towards the top. So why purposefully design a bottom vented device? Because...
...we're supposed to be checking battery wraps every time we use one...

...and so long as the user remains vigilant regarding the integrity of their wraps, orienting the positive towards available venting represents the safest orientation. This is standard practice in competetive vaping circles where battery safety is taken seriously.

Last edited:
Reactions: Froth

Froth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2014
Chipotle.
Wow, thanks @sig-cmt I've been out of the loop as I wasn't aware there were that many devices in which the manufacturer accepts negative towards atomizer battery position, I've been doing it for months with my Nemesis, Stingray X, SMPL's and other mods without so much as a hiccup, so long as the battery wrap is in 100% good shape without a single tear you shouldn't ever run into an issue with the battery installed negative up. Depending on the tolerances of the mod I usually run my batteries with the OEM battery shrink wrapper plus another clear shrink wrap over top it for double protection, some mods have tight tolerances and won't allow this practice though so you have to pick and choose how and where to use that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread