I have to learn coils again...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stringplucker

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2014
Tarentum, PA, USA
I fell into some money, and decided to buy a high powered box mod. I figured that I'd buy big or go home, so I picked up the SMY 260. What a beast this thing is...three 18650 batteries, up to 260 watts of power, all day long vaping without batteyr changes, magnetic door, etc. It's a serious piece of hardware.

Well, I've been used to building sub ohm coils for my mechanical mods...totally enjoying the experience and learning curve as I got closer and closer to the lowest safe build zone, and flirting with danger a few times. I normally vape 26650 single and parallel mods. Single allows me to be in the 0.15 zone without much fear. I've gotten quite adept at building my favorite dual parallel coils.

Now, with my journey into regulated mods, I am re-learning how to build, but at a higher ohm build. I'm in the stage of regular single coils with 26 and 24 ga kanthal. I never thought I'd enter this realm of mods, and never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I'd be building coils above 0.5 again.

Anyway...In addition to the SMY 260, I picked up a Doge, a Dark Horse, a Little Boy, a Mutation X V2, Freakshow, Tugboat V2, and a Troll. I'll be busy as heck over the next week or so, learning which RDA gives me what I'm looking for, and at which build/wattage. This is going to be a fun journey.

I also plan on getting a DiY e-juice kit so I can start mixing my own juices in the 0-1mg nic range. Yes...I've dropped down to that level nicotine since March of last year. I had planned on being nicotine free by now, but I know I'll be there by March 25th...which will mark one year without tobacco in my system.

I never thought I'd get to that point...and I thank this forum and the vaping community for helping get me there.

God Bless all of you!!

Metimbo

Jan 5, 2015
Memphis, TN
Wow! Congrats on not smoking for that long!

Why do you need to move away from sub ohm-ing? I know you can sub ohm with lower watts and with higher watts you can increase your ohms which basically accomplishes the same task. Am I thinking about that correctly?

And gratz on the new gear as well! You should have a blast building on all that stuff for a while to come!

~Metimbo

catalinaflyer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
FL 510 (Over The Top Baby)
Rock that SMY, I've had mine for a few weeks now and it's an amazing mod. Yes higher resistance and higher wattage as long as it will wick and you'll blow amazing clouds.

20150110_150651_zpsvuhlpudo.jpg

Stringplucker

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2014
Tarentum, PA, USA
Wow! Congrats on not smoking for that long!

Why do you need to move away from sub ohm-ing? I know you can sub ohm with lower watts and with higher watts you can increase your ohms which basically accomplishes the same task. Am I thinking about that correctly?

And gratz on the new gear as well! You should have a blast building on all that stuff for a while to come!

~Metimbo

Thanks. The SMY 260 won't fire below 0.3 ohms, which is 0.15 higher than my norm. From what I've read, this thing rocks in the 0.7-1.0 ohm range. It's a learning curve, but one I'm excited to trek through.

Rock that SMY, I've had mine for a few weeks now and it's an amazing mod. Yes higher resistance and higher wattage as long as it will wick and you'll blow amazing clouds.

20150110_150651_zpsvuhlpudo.jpg

I picked up the Kanger Sub-ohm as well, and starting to learn it's downfalls, such as low airflow. I can't wait til I can get my hands on a Joyetech Delta 2 to play with...I saw a review that said it's even better than the Atlantis and Lemo. I haven't used the stock coil on the Sub-ohm yet. I went straight to the build deck with the provided coils. I'm not too impressed with is yet, but am willing to give it a shot.

The only downfall of the SMY so far is that it's a fingerprint magnet. I'll take that and live with it, since I like all the other features wuite well. I vaped all day long on a single charge at 60w with a Dark Horse, and still had roughly half life left when I put the batteries on the charger about an hour ago.

catalinaflyer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
FL 510 (Over The Top Baby)
Thanks. The SMY 260 won't fire below 0.3 ohms, which is 0.15 higher than my norm. From what I've read, this thing rocks in the 0.7-1.0 ohm range. It's a learning curve, but one I'm excited to trek through.

I picked up the Kanger Sub-ohm as well, and starting to learn it's downfalls, such as low airflow. I can't wait til I can get my hands on a Joyetech Delta 2 to play with...I saw a review that said it's even better than the Atlantis and Lemo. I haven't used the stock coil on the Sub-ohm yet. I went straight to the build deck with the provided coils. I'm not too impressed with is yet, but am willing to give it a shot.

The only downfall of the SMY so far is that it's a fingerprint magnet. I'll take that and live with it, since I like all the other features wuite well. I vaped all day long on a single charge at 60w with a Dark Horse, and still had roughly half life left when I put the batteries on the charger about an hour ago.

I would encourage you to drop in the 1.2 ohm occ coil and give it a try, I think you'll be surprised. I have the Atlantis as well and each have their strong points and I use them both equally. I did however switch out the coil in the Kanger to the 1.2 (which is showing 1.06 ohms) and as far as I'm concerned I'm getting more vapor and better flavor than the .5 (showed .59). I haven't touched the RTA deck, I have a plethora of KayFun's if I want to go that route. I had gone back to carto's for the past several months because I was tired of fiddling with building. Then I was loaned an IPV3 with an Origen RDA and the bug came back for RDA's. So I go in to purchase a regulated box and was given an Atlantis and again, a whole new vaping experience all over again. I now have 3 regulated boxes, an Atlantis, Kanger Sub and as soon as I get back to the house there's a pre-production Sub Tank Mini there waiting for me to try out (which will mean the purchase of another regulated box).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread