I need box help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uselessdreamer1

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2009
Kentucky
i dont have access to solder right now so im trying to just twist the cables and get the same effect. here are some pictures.

IMG_6120.jpg

IMG_6121.jpg

I followed Nico's directions but mod'ed the 4 AAA bat pack. When i put the batterys in and try to start vaping nothing happens. Im sure its my connection somewhere or possible wiring problems. (this is my first try at any kind of mod). my ground in in-between the nut on the atomizer end.

Does anyone see anything i did wrong? is there anyway to test it?

Last edited:

dabar1

ECF Veteran
May 1, 2009
Hayti, MO. USA
Pardon if I am missing something basic, but I only see two bats being used. Two AAAs isnt going to provide enough power at least for very long,...is it? 3v ?

I tried 2 AAA in my mod early on and it only lasted a few minutes, with not great results. I am using 5v and BIG difference!

Also,...must use solder to get the best connections INHO.

nicowolf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2008
near Akron, OH, USA
The wiring looks good. Until you get some solder, you could try putting your black wire between the lock washer and the nut and then tightening the nut down really snug. This would make the nut carry your negative connection.

The previous poster was correct. 3volts will just barely power an atomizer and alkaline will not last long at all with this kind of drain.

KoS

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2009
VT, USA
Ya their is not a direct phsical conection from the neg pole on the conector to the threads. It goes to a thin piece of metal in the conector itself( thats why its a swich). Look down into the conector and see for yourself. When you push in a power jack it pushes that piece of metal to the side to make contact with the treads. We don't need this function You have to solder the wire directly to the upper half of the conector or like I did a glob of solder where that little metal sping is in the conector.

Problem 2: Seriously get a soldering iron. Loose conections are a dangerous resipie for disaster. I have used the butane one for years and love it. Solder or torch anywhere. Great for July 4th (200 bottlerockets at a time no prob :D
Mini Butane Gas-Powered Iron - RadioShack.com

Problem 3: 2 alkalines are not going to cut it at 3V (1.5V+1.5V). You need at least 3 NmHA at 3.6V (1.2V x 3) or 1 Lion 3.6V. NmHa will work nicely and give a cpl day vape you just have to use 3

Attachments

• IMAGE_346.jpg
    IMAGE_346.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

Uselessdreamer1

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2009
Kentucky
i guess you live and learn eh? the ****ty batterys were the only thing i had laying around. ill eventually get rechargeable AAA bats. SO is this project trash now? well just the casing? it wont work with just 2 AAA? i can mod a 9volt im sure. or a usb smoker? im just not sure yet.

Does anyone know what to do about the reversed mini switch. Its like when you press the button down it stops connection. I need one that will start the connection. there were 2 red and 2 black in the package i got. Maybe the black ones are the "push to connect" style?

Im extremely new at circuts and what not. but i dont have problems learning it. im a pretty good tinker, if anyone has any info that would help me out; i would appreciate it greatly. thanks.

PS. thanks to those who have helped my already!

PSS. watch out for my HELP with mag mod. im sure ill be needing it as well.

dabar1

ECF Veteran
May 1, 2009
Hayti, MO. USA
when you press the button down it stops connection. I need one that will start the connection. there were 2 red and 2 black in the package i got. Maybe the black ones are the "push to connect" style?

Sounds like you are using NC (normally closed) PBs (Push Buttons).
You need to get NO (Normally Open) types for your application. If I am reading your post correctly.

It should say on the packaging somewhere.

sMuCk_fOg

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2009
Lakewood,California - u$a
Problem 3: 2 alkalines are not going to cut it at 3V (1.5V+1.5V). You need at least 3 NmHA at 3.6V (1.2V x 3) or 1 Lion 3.6V. NmHa will work nicely and give a cpl day vape you just have to use 3

I have the same box setup as your picture...
3 radio shack AA 1.2v @ 2100 mah in series.

It only lasts me 5-6 hrs on a charge....very dissapointed.

I was looking at deal extreme at the higher Mah, li on batts,but they're 2.6 inches long compared to normal AA's @ 2 " long.

I really need something that will last me at least a day and a half @ 3.6 - 5 v without worries.
I guess I'm gonna start carrying around a deep cycle marine battery and hook up a voltage limiter to the darned thing lol.

sMuCk_fOg

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2009
i guess you live and learn eh? the ****ty batterys were the only thing i had laying around. ill eventually get rechargeable AAA bats. SO is this project trash now? well just the casing? it wont work with just 2 AAA? i can mod a 9volt im sure. or a usb smoker? im just not sure yet.

Does anyone know what to do about the reversed mini switch. Its like when you press the button down it stops connection. I need one that will start the connection. there were 2 red and 2 black in the package i got. Maybe the black ones are the "push to connect" style?

Im extremely new at circuts and what not. but i dont have problems learning it. im a pretty good tinker, if anyone has any info that would help me out; i would appreciate it greatly. thanks.

PS. thanks to those who have helped my already!

PSS. watch out for my HELP with mag mod. im sure ill be needing it as well.

If you still have the package that they came in...on the back , it will say - one of two things,either
Normally open , or Normally closed.

You need the Normally open switches , I haven't seen them mixed together in the same pack.

nicowolf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2008
near Akron, OH, USA
I have the same box setup as your picture...
3 radio shack AA 1.2v @ 2100 mah in series.

Something is wrong here. I have done a 3xAA mod with NiMH and a 3xAAA mod with NiMH. The AA was 2100 mAh and would last me a day and a half easy - I usually just charged them because I didn't want to push my luck and be stranded with dead batteries. The AAA was something like 800 mAh and would get me through most of the day - about 14 hours. If you don't mind a bigger box, you could try doing a C cell mod - 3 C cells in series would be massive, like vaping a torpedo.

sMuCk_fOg

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2009
I just decided to ck my connection at the atomizer
with my multimeter.
For some reason,even at rest....circuit open, AND the master switch OFF there is a continuous drain of .25 volts at the atty. haha

Maybe the epoxy I used is actually Conductive to some extent? I dunno.

But even then with the master switch off...that doesn't really make sense...to me lol

KoS

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2009
VT, USA
I just decided to ck my connection at the atomizer
with my multimeter.
For some reason,even at rest....circuit open, AND the master switch OFF there is a continuous drain of .25 volts at the atty. haha

Maybe the epoxy I used is actually Conductive to some extent? I dunno.

But even then with the master switch off...that doesn't really make sense...to me lol

Wow that is weird. Start probig with your meter. Not realy anything to give a parisitic drain. Very curious.

My 3x AA NMhA last almost 2 days also. I too just charge to be shure lol

usamare

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2009
Wadsworth
The solution for the TRUE lazy-a55, such as myself, is to simply get the Radio Shack 4X AA battery box, drop 4 NiMH's in it, use the switch provided on the box, and just solder the two wires to an atomizer mount. It's about the most straight forward approach there is, and should last pretty long. I'm still looking at a good way to mount the atomizer, but tests are looking promising:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread