I need INFOOOO plez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello guys. So im new to mods and though I know about battery safety and know enough to not blow my self up i have a question on how to set up my coil. Currently my build is at a .5ohms and i feel like i get a burnt flavor (as if im cooking my cotton) even though my wick seems to be adequately saturated. This will happen after a hit or two. Im no monster cloud maker so i dont take enormouse drags that should dry up my cotton after one or two hits

Some Specs:

Battery: 81650 3.7V 2100mAH
rda: Patriot V.1 -- dual coil set up
Coil: 28awg Kanthal - rated 5.4 ohms/ft --- I believe i have it at a 5/4 wrap (dont have my mod currently with me)

Any help or insight you guys can give would be appreciated!

Tinkiegrrl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
New York, NY
There are a lot of factors that could go into creating a burnt taste. First, different juices can handle different temps. Some tend to burn at the higher temps produced with sub-ohming. Next, there could be a hot spot on your coil. An area that is heating up faster then the rest of the coil. When you fire the coil without the wick, does it glow evenly, starting from the middle of the coil outward? Does any part seem to glow brighter? If so, you may want to change the coil. Last but not least (in fact, likely should have gone first) is airflow. Many drill out the airholes on their caps to increase the airflow. Doing so will increase the clouds and decrease the overall temp inside.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Hello guys. So im new to MODs and though I know about battery safety and know enough to not blow my self up i have a question on how to set up my coil. Currently my build is at a .5ohms and i feel like i get a burnt flavor (as if im cooking my cotton) even though my wick seems to be adequately saturated. This will happen after a hit or two. Im no monster cloud maker so i dont take enormouse drags that should dry up my cotton after one or two hits

Some Specs:

Battery: 81650 3.7V 2100mAH
RDA: Patriot V.1 -- dual coil set up
Coil: 28awg Kanthal - rated 5.4 ohms/ft --- I believe i have it at a 5/4 wrap (dont have my mod currently with me)

Any help or insight you guys can give would be appreciated!

Tinkiegrrl covered pretty much everything here already, just wanted to add one thought. If you're using cotton wicks try using a bit less in the coils. It should go in with minimal friction in the coils. It will swell when it gets wet and too much will actually choke off juice flow.

There are a lot of factors that could go into creating a burnt taste. First, different juices can handle different temps. Some tend to burn at the higher temps produced with sub-ohming. Next, there could be a hot spot on your coil. An area that is heating up faster then the rest of the coil. When you fire the coil without the wick, does it glow evenly, starting from the middle of the coil outward? Does any part seem to glow brighter? If so, you may want to change the coil. Last but not least (in fact, likely should have gone first) is airflow. Many drill out the airholes on their caps to increase the airflow. Doing so will increase the clouds and decrease the overall temp inside.

The coils glow evenly. Though now that you mention the airflow issue.... That may be my problem as my atomizer tends to get decently hot after a good vaping session. I will have the airholes drilled out hopefully today as i was planning on doing it anywhere and report back..

Thank you.

Pics or it isn't adequately saturated! :)

Seriously, pics of your build make all the difference in our ability to diagnose a problem.

Rickajho,
I am currently at work and dont have my mod with me, but i'll try to post a pic once i am home.

Thanks.

(If only my boss knew what i was doing right now =X)

Budkiss,
Now that you bring that up..

Something else i was wondering..... If i were to look up the proper resistance i should be using as per the "Safe Vaping Chart" i should be at a about 1.5 to 3.2 ohms but in order to achieve that, both the sites you provided tell me i need around 14 wraps to attain 1.8ohms. That seems like a bit much IMO.
Safe Vaping Power Chart: FastTech Forums

Again i am using Kanthal A1 28AWG. Should i be useing a a different wire?

Thanks for all the help guys i appreciate it

Tinkiegrrl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
New York, NY
Budkiss,
Now that you bring that up..

Something else i was wondering..... If i were to look up the proper resistance i should be using as per the "Safe Vaping Chart" i should be at a about 1.5 to 3.2 ohms but in order to achieve that, both the sites you provided tell me i need around 14 wraps to attain 1.8ohms. That seems like a bit much IMO.
Safe Vaping Power Chart: FastTech Forums

Again i am using Kanthal A1 28AWG. Should i be useing a a different wire?

Thanks for all the help guys i appreciate it

The chart is more helpful for stock coils in clearos while using a regulated device in my opinion. Using a mech mod with an RDA, you should be able to go lower in resistance. Use an online ohm calculator, enter the resistance and the voltage of your battery, and make sure that the amperage that the calculator gives you is within the safe range of your batteries. RDA's have better airflow then a clearo or carto, and should therefore be able to take more power as long as you are within the amperage limits of your battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread