I noticed an interesting phenomenon...

Status
Not open for further replies.

flexy123

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2009
I have several Kayfuns, a Berserker and currently using a Dvarw. I am a MTL vaper and usually vape around 12-14W.

I am recently noticing an interesting phenomenon: That the taste of the vape, but also vape production, is much better if the tank is almost empty. (I am guessing if there is only 0.5ml or less left, from tanks that can hold much more, like 5+ ml). I would otherwise attribute to this to placebo effect or something, but recently I just notice this every time..

I am not sure what the reason for this is, but one theory is that if the tank is almost empty (so that only very little e-juice is surrounding the chamber with the coil), the juice itself is getting warmed up, quite hot actually, before it gets to the coil.

This would make the juice wick faster, but could also have other effects on flavour. (My current juice is a DIY DRY4 mix with about 70VG/30PG.

If this theory is true, this would mean that one could design an atty where the juice is going through pipes or some type of channels where it is warmed up first by the coil before it is then getting to the wick/coil. These atties would have better vape production and better flavour than ordinary atties.

Of course, this is only true if it's really the case that flavour and vape is better when the tank is almost empty, and "pre-warmed" juice is fed to the wick and not some type of placebo effect there.

Do you observe the same effect?

Last edited:

flexy123

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2009
I am sure the type of atty plays a role here...aside from the tricky fact that "better" is always somehow subjective. What's noteworthy is that I observe this phenomenon with the Dvarw, but have never actually noticed in many years of Kayfun vaping.

(One could also conclude that, instead of "vape gets better" if the tank is almost empty means "vape is poor" if it is full. All I can say is that I have the "best" experience basically only a bunch of draws before I refill the tank again. Next time I keep attention if a freshly filled tank produces the same vape and flavour. That it tastes "better" when a tank is full I never noticed, to be honest. I always think a "fresh" tank has a muted flavour to it.

Reactions: stols001

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Gives new meaning to the slogan, "Good to the Last Drop".

every_last_drop.jpg

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
It might be true in your case because of things like thicker or thinner juice, altitude of where one lives, wicking, etc, but I personally dont see this. I also dont see it the other way when the tank is full (other thread) I have been vaping rtas for almost 8 years, never vaped drop ins or rdas, so it's been only rtas everyday and I have had and have many and my tanks seem pretty much consistent from full to almost empty....

stratus.vaping

ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2018
UK & much further East.
Yes the bikes run better thing perhaps has a parallel with the vape tank thing.

I've had several older classic bikes where the tank cap had blocked or partially blocked vent holes, this can case a degree of fuel starvation. The running can be affected as the carb/injection system has to suck fuel against a partial vaccuum in the tank. Same with cars too, I had a Morris Minor that ran like :censored: until I replaced the rubber tank cap with an original.

'Tis very funny that the opposite has been discussed too, but I guess it's not surprising as there are many dynamics that affect the flow of liquid and air in complex systems.

Tabac man

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2019
London
With a freshly filled tank the fuel is cold as it sits cold in big tanks underground. Carbs work better with cold fuel so they run better after a refill. Can't comment on fuel injection as I've never had it.

As for vaping there's so many variables I think so here's my thoughts. Wherever flavour seems best ie full tank, half empty or nearly empty, is the perfect alignment of wicking, air flow and power for that particular juice and coil.

stratus.vaping

ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2018
UK & much further East.
Depends how the engine is set up, if the carb is setup with cold fuel it will run better with cold fuel. Petrol has to be at least partially vaporised to increase it's surface area to combust properly, a mist combusts better than stream. A carb needs some heat to mist properly, problem is fast moving air quickly cools things down... so the balance of the system is fragile.

I have a vehicle that lives in a cold climate and I use a carb heater or it runs badly, even when the temp is not low enough to thicken the fuel (-60C to freeze petrol, thickening happens at less extreme ambient temps partly due to the cooling effect of sucking air in).

The OP may well be right about hotter liquid in a nearly empty tank, it may vapourise more efficiently. Or not! Very interesting.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I have several Kayfuns, a Berserker and currently using a Dvarw. I am a MTL vaper and usually vape around 12-14W.

I am recently noticing an interesting phenomenon: That the taste of the vape, but also vape production, is much better if the tank is almost empty. (I am guessing if there is only 0.5ml or less left, from tanks that can hold much more, like 5+ ml). I would otherwise attribute to this to placebo effect or something, but recently I just notice this every time..

I am not sure what the reason for this is, but one theory is that if the tank is almost empty (so that only very little e-juice is surrounding the chamber with the coil), the juice itself is getting warmed up, quite hot actually, before it gets to the coil.

This would make the juice wick faster, but could also have other effects on flavour. (My current juice is a DIY DRY4 mix with about 70VG/30PG.

If this theory is true, this would mean that one could design an atty where the juice is going through pipes or some type of channels where it is warmed up first by the coil before it is then getting to the wick/coil. These atties would have better vape production and better flavour than ordinary atties.

Of course, this is only true if it's really the case that flavour and vape is better when the tank is almost empty, and "pre-warmed" juice is fed to the wick and not some type of placebo effect there.

Do you observe the same effect?
Could be in the wicking. If you perhaps dont have enough wicking material in the coil or specifically the ledges, you might be slightly flooding the coil, but once the tank empties and the tank doesnt wick quite as well, your insufficient cotton is not over wicking as much and flavor increases....just a guess obviously. Now if it's a new wick or coil, it takes a bit of time to break in, so as it nears the end of the tank, it's nice and broken in....

Edgree

May 14, 2019
In my experience with DIYing ejuice and using differnt steeping methods. somtimes I will fast steep a bottle placing a bottle in hot water some juices when steeped longer expecially custard ,bakery,and Tobacco ry4 based juices when steep longer they develop better flavor.
My theory the heat created from the coil in the tank does a fast steep on the juice creating better flavor.
Also the sugars caramelizing on the coils could be sweeting the liquid more just my crazy thoughts.

Sent from my SM-J337A using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread