I started with Blu is that really so bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roveer

Oct 10, 2013
NJ
so I decided I was going to try e-cigs and went out and got a cheap blu starter pack. it's the 35 dollar one with the regular size case batteries and regular tobacco flavor. So far so good. Not quite a cigarette but I have gotten used to it. The whole idea is to stop "smoking".

All that being said, the batteries are pretty weak and I've read a whole lot about so many other alternatives.

I was wondering if their premium or premium 100 versions which have bigger batteries are better or if there really is a better product I should try? I really don't want to spend a fortune, but if I'm really missing out on something, I should consider it now before I spend anymore money.

I watched a few videos about how I can refill the blu carts so I might do that, but again, I want to learn about what might be better.

Thanks.

Roveer

Darkcraft

Oct 10, 2013
Dallas, TX
I'd say go with something eGo related as your next step up. I am not familiar with the numerous variations available now, but I'm sure someone else will chime in.

It isnt a bad thing to have started with Blu. The thing is, now that you know about the other options out there, you'd be cheating yourself by not switching to something else that isnt nearly as much of a monetary sinkhole. You'll be able to get better devices and better flavors.

I started with something similar to the Blu ecigs when I first started. It's just a stepping stone towards the larger ecig world.

Daryl Glen

ECF Veteran
Sep 23, 2013
Titusville, FL, USA
www.youtube.com
First off, congrats! I started with the disposable Blu's for $10 a pop at Walgreen's. So, don't be ashamed of Blu! You are doing the right thing. Do research! This forum and You Tube is a fantastic resource. An ego twist type battery is probably going to be the next step as far as batteries go, and probably a clearomizer for a head. I'm sure you'll get lots of advice on this!
Welcome!

anit77

Sep 25, 2013
Duluth, GA USA
Hi and welcome.

Having just gone the same route as you in 9/19 I'd say the blu is a good stepping stone. If you're already looking to step up you got one up on me and from what I've read the vast majority here. How you ask? Well you found this forum and posted before you've spent more money.

Look around here and stop by a local store. You'll find that spending a little more up front on good equipment will save you a ton in a short time.

Again welcome and good luck in quitting the analogs.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

gotch23

ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2011
Fukuoka, Japan
Hi Roveer,

no... those are fine... as long as they work for you.
Totally capable of delivering nicotine in sufficient amounts (just use higer nic e-juice, if not satisfied).

My recommendation for next step up, would be a Ego-C Twist or Innokin VV 3.0 battery with an Evod-Cartomizer.
This will give you more power (more vapor), more battery and juice capacity. Good flavor as well.

One step up again i would recommend an MVP 2.0... With the included iclear30 or a Protank II extra.
Same flavor and power as the option above, just even more battery and juice capacity.

Last edited:

VikingQueen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2013
Minnesota
Nothing wrong with what you've purchased. I was about to purchase the expensive Blu and thought I'd do some research, which led me here. :)

I started with a simple eGo-T kit ($60 at my local tobacco store, which is a rip-off) and some overpriced juice at the same place. Never looked back. You are about to get some great advice from other folks. Just wanted to let you know that starter gear is just what it is: starter gear/back-up.

I'll let the much more knowledge folk speak up now. :laugh:

DetraMental

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2013
United States
I'd suggest looking towards the ego style personal vaporizer. They don't cost a fortune and work with most tanks, cartomizers, clearomizers, ect....don't worry about the lingo you'll catch on. Clearomizer will probably be your first pick to go with an ego style personal vaporizer. I'd suggest getting an 900-1100mAh battery for their longevity. If you want something small there are mini's and the 650mAh but they won't have the battery life. Make sure to get two batteries (a kit will come with two) so you have a back-up. Later on you'll know to get back-up's for your back-up's, but for now a kit will do ya. I agree with the above post about starting with the Blu's, as long as it got you started, it's ok. Good luck to you and ECF and Youtube are here for you if you have further questions.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
The Blu are what we call "cigalikes". Cigarette-size batteries. They will offer you an introduction to e-cigarettes to help you decide if vaping can be an effective and safer alternative to smoking cigarettes. They will get your foot in the door, so to speak.

Your overall satisfaction with an e-cigarette is going to primarily depend upon the battery that you use. It is afterall, an "electronic cigarette", right? A bigger battery is always going to allow more power, longer use between charges, and higher overall satisfaction with the product.

I would suggest that you continue using the Blu which you already have while researching a better more advanced setup. Don't spend any more money for a Blu upgrade.

I suggest researching the larger batteries such as the Ego class, or an APV (advanced personal vaporizer; uses replaceable rechargeable batteries). A rather unique option to strongly consider is the Innokin iTaste MVP, which uses an internal rechargeable battery which can last up to 3 days; these have become extremely popular among both beginners and more advanced vapors. To get you started on your research, I've already written a few blog articles to help new vapors get a good start with electronic cigarettes:

Advancing up the Vaping Ladder with Ego's & Mods

A Good Starters Setup for a Beginning Vapor

Proper Terminology: Is it a carto, a tank, or what? A Guide to Juice Attachments

Last edited:

Arastababy

Oct 3, 2013
Casper, WY
I think it is great you have started down the right path to quit smoking. I know for me I bought a little rinky dinky carto to start...and it took me a while to actually completely switch to just my ecig.....I think I needed that time to learn how to use my ecig properly as it takes time to get used to the different inhale.....any start is a good start...so keep up the good work!:laugh:

Recon Number 54

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
McKinney, TX
so I decided I was going to try e-cigs and went out and got a cheap blu starter pack. it's the 35 dollar one with the regular size case batteries and regular tobacco flavor. So far so good. Not quite a cigarette but I have gotten used to it. The whole idea is to stop "smoking".

All that being said, the batteries are pretty weak and I've read a whole lot about so many other alternatives.

I was wondering if their premium or premium 100 versions which have bigger batteries are better or if there really is a better product I should try? I really don't want to spend a fortune, but if I'm really missing out on something, I should consider it now before I spend anymore money.

I watched a few videos about how I can refill the blu carts so I might do that, but again, I want to learn about what might be better.

Thanks.

Roveer
"Are Blu's that bad?" Good heavens NO! It's not ever a bad thing when someone takes steps to stop burning analogs. Blu is a common entry-point device and you are personally observing/experiencing the reason that many people "move up" from cigalikes. You've obviously noticed the "less than optimal performance", the very short battery life, and you are seeing how the Blu "eco-system" encourages you to buy (and buy and buy) their pre-filled cartos. All of those are solid and common experiences and in no way "bad".

Refilling the Blu cartomizers is one way to try to save money (my wife had me refilling hers for months) and it familiarizes you with what a carto is, how it works, how they atomize, how they eventually die, and getting really good at dripping into teeny tiny cartos! :blush:

As others have (and will) recommend, a good "next step" would be to get an eGo battery or two. If you can get one of the many good "starter kits" out there, it will include heads that will allow you to use various liquids and your Blu cartos will fit and work on them as well (bigger battery, longer life, same carto).

If Blu is an "entry level" going with eGo's (and their attachments) is low/mid tier and a very comfortable place to enjoy vaping. Some folks settle in there and feel no need to go "gadget crazy" or spend more on hardware than that. There's lots of additional "steps up" and it is possible to "leap-frog" tiers.... all up to you.

What you will discover is that there are a LOT of well informed, very helpful, experienced and friendly folks here who are more than happy to share their personal experience, insight and advice. All of which will make you a better informed vaper and consumer. What "works best for you" is something that you will determine as you make those informed choices.

WhiteHighlights

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
MetroWest Boston, MA, USA
Welcome Roveer! Like you and many others, I bought a Blu starter kit, found ECF and started learning about different setups. It can be overwhelming at first, but you're getting good advice from the people here. Stay with the Blu until you find what you want buy. I think you'll be happier in the long run with a system that has more power to it. Congrats!

james chapman

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Kerrville Texas
Blu got me off cigs. During my time,they were having supply problems,with Cartos and Batts. My pack and Batts were failing and left me very frustrated. I was ready to go back to Cigs,when a friend recommended the Ego. That worked great for me,but then I started hanging out with a badddd crowd on ECF(in this case it was a good thing),so I got the Vamo and started making my own juices,then I hit the hard stuff,the PROVARI. I could not be more satisfied. Vaping is a journey,so NO there is nothing wrong with starting with the BLU,it feels like a Cig and that is a good thing. I have not touched a cig,in 2.6 years,as of today. If in the beginning you slide and have a Cig don't worry about it,just keep trying,vaping does work. I smoked 35yrs,2.5 pks a day,tried everything to quit. Good luck to you :toast:

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
You started with Blus? You horrible excuse for a person! ;-)

Seriously, lots of people do start with Blus, and lots of people quit cigarettes using them. But they are expensive, and (as you might have guessed) there's a lot out there that's tons better, and costs a lot less! (An ego with clearomizers comes to my mind as a good next step).

fretplayer20

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2013
Mobile, AL
I tried the Blu as well. I found that the smaller "cig-a-like" batteries just began to dwindle after 30 minutes to an hour of use. I then stepped into the eGo realm with this kit from MaxxVapor: MaxxVapor Elite Starter Kit in Black

That kit offered 650 mAh batteries with a new and improved atomizer over their previous releases. I loved this kit. It got me through my first 2 months without the thought of a real cigarette. Eventually though, I realized the e-cig market had become saturated with tons of new and amazing models, sizes, and tech. To the point, my 650 mAh died one day and I did some research. I purchased a Joyetech 1000 mAh eGo-C Twist battery ($27). I put this on my existing drip-tip atomizers and it made a world of difference. Being able to increase the power output to your atomizer gives you the power over saying what tastes and feels the best for you as a vaper.

Once I got the battery and realized how great it really was, I started looking into Clearomizers and decided finally upon the Kanger EVOD ($6). It has a small capacity, but you can buy the right ohm head to get the flavor/vapor that you want. I attached the EVOD to the eGo-C Twist and I was in heaven. It is, not to sound cliche, many many miles ahead of that first Kit I bought, and even more ahead of the Blu in my opinion. I will never go backwards. The next step from this model/type would be getting into the MODs, which from my research, some are equivalent in vapor production/throat hit/lung hit to the setup I am using. Of course I'm sure there are some mods that blow this way out of the water as well. They both have trade offs, of which you can find plenty online by looking up the differences between eGo and MODs.

To answer your question, Blu was an awesome introduction into the vaping experience, but as I believe someone else may have posted, you'd be cheating yourself if you didn't try the eGo style equipment. It will really open your eyes to the new world that has spawned from the old models and how incredibly fast this idea is becoming something people can get behind and stay behind to leave cigarettes behind.

In all, you can get one full ecig with a battery charger for about $40. However, a lot of places sell "kits". You'd get two EVODs, two 1000 mAh Twists, a charger, a case, and some juice for $90. Believe me, these new models last much longer than the Blu and are WELL worth the money.

Best of luck to you. I hope you find something you enjoy. Just keep reading and you'll find something that suits you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread