I tanked confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leon1972

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2014
Been wanting to try a good carto as I'm a flavor chaser. I have a pt2 and a nautilus and am curious to try both a carto and disposable drippers. I am interested in a ibtanked for the carto but it is a confusing piece of gear to me. Lots of pieces to choose that I don't understand and not much info on them. Can anyone help me with some knowledge on these intriguing little tanks please? Starting direction for research just as welcome as giving me the details.thanks a bunch.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
If you want to try a carto tank, you need a glass tube with caps and some cartomizers.
Handy to have a "carto tool" or "pusher" to change cartos when one's used up.
Maybe a drip tip.
On the IBTanked site, first you choose your diameter (22mm for the most common mod) specify a standard or long tube (for 35mm or 45mm cartos) and pick your caps.
The rest is optional (like colored glass).
I still have and use some carto tanks - but many people want more airflow and bigger clouds of vapor you can get with drippers or some of the new low-resistance coil/tank setups.

Leon1972

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2014
If you want to try a carto tank, you need a glass tube with caps and some cartomizers.
Maybe a drip tip.
On the IBTanked site, first you choose your diameter (22mm for the most common mod) specify a standard or long tube (for 35mm or 45mm cartos) and pick your caps.
I still have and use some carto tanks - but many people want more airflow and bigger clouds of vapor you can get with drippers or some of the new low-resistance coil/tank setups.

What they lack in clouds they make up for in flavor though correct? Flavor over cloud for me

And this tells me what I need but neither why nor what it does

Reactions: David Wolf

Leon1972

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2014
Maybe a drip tip.

I understand I need this stuff. but i dont understand what it does, how it works, how many of what i need. With the knowledge I have right now if something goes wrong then i cant figure out how to fix it or why its acting the way it is. For some reason indepth info on these is non existent or im looking in the wrong place. im not a jump into something with no knowledge kind of person.
Will I use the same, less, or more juice using a cartotank than i do with my clearotank? I run through about 5ml of liquid daily with my Nautilus.
How does a carto tank differ from a clearotank in its plus and minus? it seems to me as both tanks draw liquid into its respective wick they would both have the same advantages and disadvantages.

Last edited:

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
Here is a broken-down cartotank showing the pieces:

https://img.fasttechcdn.com/152/1522704/1522704-1.jpg

From left to right, tube, drip-tip, top-cap bottom-cap cartomizer.
The cartomizer goes in the center of the tube (through the holes in the end caps.) The drip-tip goes into the top of the cartomizer.

Not much more to it than that. If you know how to use/diagnose a carto, the carto-tanks are the same except you also need to make sure the right amount of liquid is going into the carto (which depends on hole size, thickness of your liquid, and how frequently you vape).

A carto-tank will give very similar performance to a cartomizer, except that it feeds liquid continually into the carto, so it doesn't run dry.

The cartomizers are replaceable/discardble. They are like regular cartos, except they have holes punched in the sides at the bottom for the liquid to flow from the tank into the carto.

Have you ever tried just a cartomizer? If you like them, you will probably like carto-tanks more. If you don't you probably won't like carto-tanks. The ones I've tried tend to have a tight draw, tighter than I like. And as for flavor, I have some simple BCC's that I like better. However there are a lot of carto-tank devotees that swear by them.

I wouldn't call them the "holy grail" of flavor, though, in any case.

ETA: This is what it looks like when assembled. Also note this is not an IBTanked, but fundamentally the carto-tanks all work on the same basic principle.

https://img.fasttechcdn.com/152/1522704/1522704-4.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: David Wolf

Leon1972

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2014
Here is a broken-down cartotank showing the pieces:

https://img.fasttechcdn.com/152/1522704/1522704-1.jpg

From left to right, tube, drip-tip, top-cap bottom-cap cartomizer.
The cartomizer goes in the center of the tube (through the holes in the end caps.) The drip-tip goes into the top of the cartomizer.

Not much more to it than that. If you know how to use/diagnose a carto, the carto-tanks are the same except you also need to make sure the right amount of liquid is going into the carto (which depends on hole size, thickness of your liquid, and how frequently you vape).

A carto-tank will give very similar performance to a cartomizer, except that it feeds liquid continually into the carto, so it doesn't run dry.

The cartomizers are replaceable/discardble. They are like regular cartos, except they have holes punched in the sides at the bottom for the liquid to flow from the tank into the carto.

Have you ever tried just a cartomizer? If you like them, you will probably like carto-tanks more. If you don't you probably won't like carto-tanks. The ones I've tried tend to have a tight draw, tighter than I like. And as for flavor, I have some simple BCC's that I like better. However there are a lot of carto-tank devotees that swear by them.

I wouldn't call them the "holy grail" of flavor, though, in any case.

ETA: This is what it looks like when assembled. Also note this is not an IBTanked, but fundamentally the carto-tanks all work on the same basic principle.

https://img.fasttechcdn.com/152/1522704/1522704-4.jpg

Thank you. Very informative. I was going to try the disposable attys (like the stingray and the 357) as well. I am looking for the best flavor without rebuilding.

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
Thank you. Very informative. I was going to try the disposable attys (like the stingray and the 357) as well. I am looking for the best flavor without rebuilding.

Well, for the "best flavor without rebuilding" I think you're going in the wrong direction, just IMHO.

Many swear by the Aspire Nautilus or Atlantis; or the Kanger Subtank (or others) - make sure your battery will drive whatever head/coil you choose. I'm actually surprised others haven't chimed in here.

"best" is, of course, subjective. But I will post links to some out-of-the-ordinary that should be better-known than they are:
The GS-H2:
$11.32 H2 Bottom Coil Clearomizers (10-Pack / 2.0mL) 10-pack - 2.5ohm at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
The "Vivi Tanks" (Never seen these anywhere except FastTech, and they're totally different from the Vivi Novas):
https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10006433/1532200-vivi-tank-bcc-clearomizers-7-pack-3-5ml

The Smok BCC tanks:
https://www.myfreedomsmokes.com/clearance/smok-pyrex-bottom-coil-pbc-tank-v1-6-0ml.html
https://www.myfreedomsmokes.com/clearance/smok-pyrex-bottom-coil-pbc-tank-v2-3-5ml.html

The links above are great tanks that work well with most moderate-power batteries. They're not high-power heads.

If you want a high-power head, and don't want to rebuild, I believe the Kanger Subtank or Aspire Atlantis are your choices. Perhaps someone else will chime in with different choices. But I like all 4 of the above, they are the best-tasting and most problem-free of the non-rebuildables I've dealt with. (Not to mention, they're inexpensive).

Last edited:

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I understand I need this stuff. but i dont understand what it does, how it works, how many of what i need. With the knowledge I have right now if something goes wrong then i cant figure out how to fix it or why its acting the way it is. For some reason indepth info on these is non existent or im looking in the wrong place. im not a jump into something with no knowledge kind of person.
Will I use the same, less, or more juice using a cartotank than i do with my clearotank? I run through about 5ml of liquid daily with my Nautilus.
How does a carto tank differ from a clearotank in its plus and minus? it seems to me as both tanks draw liquid into its respective wick they would both have the same advantages and disadvantages.

If you use carto's then a carto tank is something to consider.
If you don't already use cartos maybe you should just try them out first before getting a tank to go with the carto.

Leon1972

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2014
Well, for the "best flavor without rebuilding" I think you're going in the wrong direction, just IMHO.

Many swear by the Aspire Nautilus or Atlantis; or the Kanger Subtank (or others) - make sure your battery will drive whatever head/coil you choose. I'm actually surprised others haven't chimed in here.

"best" is, of course, subjective. But I will post links to some out-of-the-ordinary that should be better-known than they are:
The GS-H2:
$11.32 H2 Bottom Coil Clearomizers (10-Pack / 2.0mL) 10-pack - 2.5ohm at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
The "Vivi Tanks" (Never seen these anywhere except FastTech, and they're totally different from the Vivi Novas):
https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10006433/1532200-vivi-tank-bcc-clearomizers-7-pack-3-5ml

The Smok BCC tanks:
https://www.myfreedomsmokes.com/clearance/smok-pyrex-bottom-coil-pbc-tank-v1-6-0ml.html
https://www.myfreedomsmokes.com/clearance/smok-pyrex-bottom-coil-pbc-tank-v2-3-5ml.html

The links above are great tanks that work well with most moderate-power batteries. They're not high-power heads.

If you want a high-power head, and don't want to rebuild, I believe the Kanger Subtank or Aspire Atlantis are your choices. Perhaps someone else will chime in with different choices. But I like all 4 of the above, they are the best-tasting and most problem-free of the non-rebuildables I've dealt with. (Not to mention, they're inexpensive).

I've been told high power doesn't necessarily mean high flavor. I want flavor, regardless of how I come by it.

ckquatt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
Milledgeville, GA
I'm a diehard ibtanked user! To me they are hands down the best flavor atties out there. (I mean as in cartotanks in general) they're super easy to setup and maintain and look great!

I learned how to set one up by watching some you tube videos. Search "ibtanked setup" and youll figure it out.
Really great tanks!

Sent from my Atari 2600 using Tapatalk

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
I've been told high power doesn't necessarily mean high flavor. I want flavor, regardless of how I come by it.

No, it doesn't. I hope you will forgive me for saying this, but you sound like you want us to provide the perfect vape for you, and you do come across, at least to me, a bit arrogant. I, and others have made suggestions, but it's up to you to figure out what direction to go.

Flavor is not just about what head you use (although that's a VERY important part of it). It also depends on the e-liquid; higher VG tends to give smoother, but less flavorful vape, higher PG tends to give stronger flavors, but can be much harsher. Adding a bit of water (a TINY bit) can mellow out the PG, and bring out flavors from the VG. Adding a bit of PGA can bring out the flavors and also bring up the throat hit.

But you need to realize that, at least nowadays, you will have to try stuff; do a bit of experimenting, and find what you like. Nobody else can hand you a "magic formula". There are folks who have spent thousands on equipment and liquids, who are still searching for their perfect vape, others who found what they were looking for very quickly and cheaply.

I could tell you "Buy this head, this battery, this e-liquid, and vape it at this power level". But I won't. I think the heads I've recommended are very very good for the price, and will move you forward on your quest. But you have to try them, and figure out what works for you.

Leon1972

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2014
No, it doesn't. I hope you will forgive me for saying this, but you sound like you want us to provide the perfect vape for you, and you do come across, at least to me, a bit arrogant. I, and others have made suggestions, but it's up to you to figure out what direction to go.

Flavor is not just about what head you use (although that's a VERY important part of it). It also depends on the e-liquid; higher VG tends to give smoother, but less flavorful vape, higher PG tends to give stronger flavors, but can be much harsher. Adding a bit of water (a TINY bit) can mellow out the PG, and bring out flavors from the VG. Adding a bit of PGA can bring out the flavors and also bring up the throat hit.

But you need to realize that, at least nowadays, you will have to try stuff; do a bit of experimenting, and find what you like. Nobody else can hand you a "magic formula". There are folks who have spent thousands on equipment and liquids, who are still searching for their perfect vape, others who found what they were looking for very quickly and cheaply.

I could tell you "Buy this head, this battery, this e-liquid, and vape it at this power level". But I won't. I think the heads I've recommended are very very good for the price, and will move you forward on your quest. But you have to try them, and figure out what works for you.

Don't know where you get arrogant. I have stated earlier I want to try different methods of vaping. I want to try carto tanks, drippable atomizers like the stingray 510 and the hh.357. I already knew it would take trial and error.thsts why I'm on several boards here asking questions about multiple devices I want to experiment with different types of devices with different flavors Because I know different flavors will taste differently With different vape methods. I was only looking to further my knowledge base on cartos before I added one to my list of things to try. I am also adding the kanger subtank to that list too. With that probably being purchased this week.
I already have an aspire nautilus, hence why I didnt pick up on any of the tanks you suggested. I like my nautilus for a clearo so far. Now I want to add to that equipment with more types.

Last edited:

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
Don't know where you get arrogant. I have stated earlier I want to try different methods of vaping. I want to try carto tanks, drippable atomizers like the stingray 510 and the hh.357. I already knew it would take trial and error.thsts why I'm on several boards here asking questions about multiple devices I want to experiment with different types of devices with different flavors Because I know different flavors will taste differently With different vape methods. I was only looking to further my knowledge base on cartos before I added one to my list of things to try. I am also adding the kanger subtank to that list too. With that probably being purchased this week.
I already have an aspire nautilus, hence why I didnt pick up on any of the tanks you suggested. I like my nautilus for a clearo so far. Now I want to add to that equipment with more types.

Leon,

First, I apologize for that comment about arrogant. I'm normally a friendly guy; had a rough 2 days recently and perhaps I'm letting too much of it hang out here. Didn't mean to get on your case like I did.

I also have a Nautilus (Actually 3 of them). I like the Smok BCC tanks better, perhaps because the BVC coils did not work well for me. Perhaps your Nautilus works better than mine, so my advice may not be helpful. Not sure how you would know, though.

I appreciate that you want to explore different types of heads to get the best flavor. But since you aren't interested in rebuilding, you have eliminated some of the most interesting categories: RDA's RTA's, RDTA's, and Gennys. With what's left over, carto-tanks might be interesting, but bridgeless atomizers would probably be a better choice for flavor.

Have you tried a cartomizer? Seriously, if you don't like a carto, you won't like a carto-tank any better.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio

The biggest difference to me is the wick material (resulting in differing flavor potential. Basically, a "cartomizer" is a steel tube completely filled with polyfill (the wick material). It generally provides more flavor than a typical clearomizer because of the larger mass or surface area of the wick. The "clearomizer" uses just a small string of silica as the wick. Not as much surface area for carrying the flavor of the e-liquid, resulting in more potential for dry or burnt hits. (And most people might agree that silica is not such a great flavor carrier.)

Clearomizers are popular for beginning vapers because these tanks are very simple to fill and use. Cartomizers (and cartotanks) are slightly more demanding in skill and time in initial preparation, but you generally get better results.

Both styles make use of negative pressure inside the tanks. You draw on the mouthpiece, which causes negative pressure inside the tank, moving the juice to the coil.

Clearomizers will need their coil heads replaced as needed; generally every 1 - 2 weeks, or when you get a funky or burnt taste.

Cartomizers will need to be replaced in the cartotank every 2 - 4 weeks, generally. When the air draw becomes tight, or when you get that funky or burnt taste. The price difference between cartos and replacement heads are pretty close.

Proper Terminology: Is it a carto, a tank, or what? A Guide to Juice Delivery Devices

Baditude's Cartotank Setup Guide

IBTanked Pyrex Cartotanks - A Review

Baditude's Blogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread