I was was Fired for Smoking my Ecig!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry I don't have the information you need, but the following info may be helpful for you and whoever ends up representing you.

I have a good deal of info posted on my website with regards to the product ... take a wander through the "Esmoke Safety Report" & the "Test Result" pages if you want. They contain a good deal of information on test results and reports done by some of the companies.
Smoke versus Vapor - Esmoke Safety Report
http://smoke-vs-vapor.webs.com/testresults.htm

Best of luck to you

reverendg

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2010
washington USA
www.themadvaper.com
I have sailed the world for 35 years and it amazes me the new breed of american sailor where-as in the old days a Rat,a snitch anyone who did harm to a fellow mariner would be taking the long swim.

Yup, when I was in the Navy this guy would have been float tested somewhere in the I.O.

p.s. Boeing has now banned e-smokes, chew and any other kind of tobbacco products. I have heard this from the neighbors on both ides of me as well as several other people that work there.

BradSmith

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2010
Northern Michigan USA
I live in a town were about a third of the men work on the "boats". It is not what it used to be at all. I have more than one friend who has been drummed out because of minor infractions. This was a minor infraction at most. They all know it but it doesn't change a thing. There is a very strong anti-union movement going on and my guess is that anyone who makes waves is now a target.

I am afraid to say it but it really comes down to how hard the union is willing to fight for your job. I will also say that unions are not what they once were either. Twenty years ago they would not have been able to find a crew if they pulled BS like this. But not now, guys who have worked steady for decades are having a hard time finding a place. Living on the Great Lakes the work is seasonal and every spring it seems to take my friends longer and longer to find a job.

Last edited:

PVPuff&Stuff

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2009
Bishop, California, United States
Hope it works out for you too...in any event, I do have a little advice that might help.

Don't treat the grievance process as a process that is designed to help you. It is not. Grievance procedures give the feel of helping you...but they are designed to keep management and admin out of trouble.

Your personnel rep....is not your friend. Don't tell them your hopes and dreams...keep it to the facts.

And, not to be a jerk...but as a former sailor, I know how serious fires at sea are. I probably would have wanted someone to chap your .... for using it in a paint locker too.

Zeroi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2010
Singapore
Sorry to hear about this. But i think in any Case, E-Cig do not Use Fire but by using the heating element(atty) with vaporizing of the Liquid. i think till certain extend, in order to maintain the safe handling of materials and fire prevention standards in your area. hence u vaping near a paint locker. People may Mis-understand. Maybe u should run a poll asking around if it is right or wrong.

Vapenstein

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2010
It all boils down to what regulations say regarding the offense. I am in a labor union, and if management doesn't follow procedure, tries to give me more serious discipline than the offense warrants, or generally tries to step on my rights as an employee, the union will fight to the death to protect me.

If I did something that is a terminable offense, if I was given a chance to correct maladaptive behavior and didn't, if management is following the appropriate steps, they are not going to stick their neck out for me and dip into the union war chest for a hopeless case. I have great job security, but that doesn't protect me from myself if I violate my workplace policies.

Pur3Rush

ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Southern California
In my opinion, and I am not a lawyer, the case you have is a Wrongful termination suit. It depends on how much you are willing to fight for your rights. I'm not sure if you know, but if you signed papers upon termination saying that it is voluntary then you signed yourself out of unemployment. You can only collect unemployment if you are laid off, or fired where it was not your fault. If the employer says it is, they have to provide documentation. Your case is an iffy one, not in the sense that there is a question of you being in the right, but a question of can money be won by fighting the case. Honestly, maybe or maybe not. If you have been doing this for some time, and it seems you have I recommend fighting the hell out of it. Regardlesss of the consequence, I hold the belief that I gotta do whatever it takes for me to sleep comfortably at night. I personally couldn't let this ride. That's just me. I feel for you man, I really do.

NCC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2010
Fla Panhandle, USA
Lost income of 48K in less than three months? Wow, just wow. Sounds like you can afford a great attorney. Sorry about your job loss. As others have said, the atomizer does produce enough heat to vaporize PG/VG. I wouldn't fill my car's gas tank while vaping. I think highly unlikely to produce an explosion or fire ... but, why risk it?

cobaltblue

ECF Veteran
Sep 22, 2010
A cabin in the woods and loving it
It seems to me that the case doesn't hinge on the ecig at all.
1. He is a Union Rep
2. He has reported the Captain several times for various infractions
3. The captain has been repremanded by the company because of these reports.

It sounds like it may fall under the whistle-blower act.

I have to agree with this.

I'm not sure who asked you the actual polygraph questions, but to me they sound as if they were geared to show that the Captain holds a grudge against the Union, and you also as a result of your participation in it.

The questions/answers clearly show the Captain (and the GW to a lesser degree) retaliating against you by getting you fired.

There's your defense. Run with it.

Last edited:

P-Dub

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2011
Santa Rita,GU, USA
Probably not a good idea to vape around oxygen or when gassing up, either.

TTRP

Sorry Taketheredpill, contrary to popular belief, Oxygen is not flamable. The "Flamability Limits" (FL) of oxygen (O2) and air (N 72% + O2 21%) are roughly the same. Oxygen is nothing more than a component in combustion, A fuel for combustion so to speak. Without Oxygen or the molecular components in oxygen present, combustion cannot happen. Just FYI.

SmokingRT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
YIPEE!!! Home at last
Sorry Taketheredpill, contrary to popular belief, Oxygen is not flamable. The "Flamability Limits" (FL) of oxygen (O2) and air (N 72% + O2 21%) are roughly the same. Oxygen is nothing more than a component in combustion, A fuel for combustion so to speak. Without Oxygen or the molecular components in oxygen present, combustion cannot happen. Just FYI.
This is a true and indisputable (it is a large part of my job) However it is combustible and the general public can not distinguish so we allow them to say flamable to prevent overly safe feeling when using oxygen. If you smoke while wearing oxygen and a petroleum based lubricant (vaseline) the oxygen will not burn but it will help the "flame" from the ciggy or ligther grow to reach the vaseline and vaseline and flesh are flamable. NOT PRETTY. I do understand your point but a small allowance of ignorance is sometimes ok. As they say Ignorance is bliss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread