Status
Not open for further replies.

Borescoped

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2013
Minot, ND
So, I was thinking about the whole "22mm BF rda's make it so I can't slide my door up" situation. So, I said "Could the LP's (only the LP's would need it) be slightly changed to a sideways sliding door?" It would allow any size BF rda to not obstruct the sliding action of the door, and for those that have issues with the door popping up (or down) when putting it in or taking it out of their pocket, should help stop that action. Would also allow for a wider milled drip well (prevent "overhang" from larger atty's).

I don't know how hard it would be for Rob to make that suggested design change (sketching it out, making a prototype, getting it how he thinks it should work, if he even wants to bother with it... I'm sure the logistics of it would be a PITA having 2 types of doors), but thought I'd throw it out there for everyone's consideration (and to get shot down as a poor/bad idea) LOL.

EDIT: I see where the confusion might be with what I typed earlier... I should have said that during all the discussions (multiple threads) about new larger BF rda's that have been discussed lately, I remember seeing some folks stating that with a larger diameter RDA, they wouldn't be able to slide their doors up. To clarify, I don't have that problem/concern as I only slide my door down, and I only own RM2's. Just throwing the idea since some folks stated that before.

Last edited:

Borescoped

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2013
Minot, ND
It doesn't have to from what I can tell, it's just that I've seen a few people mention that it does prevent them from doing that. So, just thought up that idea and threw it out there.

Personally, I don't own any 22mm RDA's, so I don't have that concern. I put mine in my pocket sometimes, but I'm careful about it. I also always remove my door from the bottom for cleaning, juice and batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pwheeler

Just Vaping
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2013
Weimar, TX
I also only slide my doors down for refilling and changing batteries. I do keep mine in my pocket. I wear overalls quite a bit and I can fit both side by side and snap the pocket. No falling over, no laying on their sides. When I get to work I take them out and have a safe place to put one, and one I pocket. I don't run 22mm RDAs on mine. I like my RM2s and my Cyclone and AFC. All doing well as it is.

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
Hey Boro!... you can put a bit of sticky back foam on the inside face of the door, that will jam it up a little when it's trying to slide off.
I still use a fuse in place of the Hot spring and I've noticed that some makes are a mm longer, enabling the door to jam up just enough so it won't slide unless you force it, maybe you could do something similar.
But me personally, I don't even use the door anymore, I set the squonk bottle up so it doesn't flop out when held out sideways and i adjust the fuse leg angle's so the battery doesn't pop out unless i smack reo in the back lol im too busy vaping to put it in my pocket ;)

Borescoped

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2013
Minot, ND
Hey Boro!... you can put a bit of sticky back foam on the inside face of the door, that will jam it up a little when it's trying to slide off.
I still use a fuse in place of the Hot spring and I've noticed that some makes are a mm longer, enabling the door to jam up just enough so it won't slide unless you force it, maybe you could do something similar.
But me personally, I don't even use the door anymore, I set the squonk bottle up so it doesn't flop out when held out sideways and i adjust the fuse leg angle's so the battery doesn't pop out unless i smack reo in the back lol im too busy vaping to put it in my pocket ;)

Well, TBH, I don't need the sticky foam (or tape), as I don't have any problems with my door sliding off. I don't need anything to jam my door.

The whole idea behind the side sliding door wasn't primarily for the doors going up/down because of pockets, it was folks that talked about not being able to slide their doors up with a 22mm atty attached (of which I don't own any, so I don't have that problem either.) I don't know why folks complained about that, but it stuck in my head, and I thought I'd share my idea that came up because of it. Perhaps my solution is for something that isn't really a problem.

Borescoped

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2013
Minot, ND
If they made me make a rule it would be the door is suppose to slide down . When I see people take it off from the top I always scratch my head and ask why would they do that . It is easier to remove the door from the bottom of the mod theirs no atomizer in the way

IMO, it most certainly is easier to slide the door down than up to remove it. I agree with you.

sc12

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 22, 2013
USA
If they made me make a rule it would be the door is suppose to slide down . When I see people take it off from the top I always scratch my head and ask why would they do that . It is easier to remove the door from the bottom of the mod theirs no atomizer in the way
I slide the door up and down depending on what I'm doing. Tend to slide down if I'm removing the door though.

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
Well, TBH, I don't need the sticky foam (or tape), as I don't have any problems with my door sliding off. I don't need anything to jam my door.

The whole idea behind the side sliding door wasn't primarily for the doors going up/down because of pockets, it was folks that talked about not being able to slide their doors up with a 22mm atty attached (of which I don't own any, so I don't have that problem either.) I don't know why folks complained about that, but it stuck in my head, and I thought I'd share my idea that came up because of it. Perhaps my solution is for something that isn't really a problem.

Doh!! My Bad! maybe you cud get a roller shutter door!? hehee the sticky back foam might be good for folks that don't like scratches :D

Quigsworth

Just some guy...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
The Republic of Cascadia
Just put a hinge on the door - or sand one side of the atty flat so the existing door will pass. :blink:

T

Totally stole my thunder :laugh:...I personally don't have a preference though I will say when I get down to the last couple drops in the bottle I do flick the door up for that desperation squonk.

Having said that, it's a reasonable ask and not a bad idea however the problem with a side slide would be the grand is pretty narrow, Rob would have to mill some pretty tight tolerances so the door wouldn't rock and bind...and those tight tolerances would make the door bind.

Borescoped

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2013
Minot, ND
Just put a hinge on the door - or sand one side of the atty flat so the existing door will pass. :blink:

T

Totally stole my thunder :laugh:...I personally don't have a preference though I will say when I get down to the last couple drops in the bottle I do flick the door up for that desperation squonk.

Having said that, it's a reasonable ask and not a bad idea however the problem with a side slide would be the grand is pretty narrow, Rob would have to mill some pretty tight tolerances so the door wouldn't rock and bind...and those tight tolerances would make the door bind.

T, think you might have missed the point of my original post. I'm not the one having the problem with it.... I came up with a possible solution for those that did.

Quigs, you are correct that Rob would have tight tolerances to mill the door/body... just like he does now LOL. I'm talking about taking the exact same type (dimensions/size) of grooves for the door, just moving them to the top/bottom. Probably have to adjust the magnets to a side, and possibly a third groove (where one of the current door grooves is located).

Quigsworth

Just some guy...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
The Republic of Cascadia
a groove on 3 sides?...I could dig that...there is another option too...loose the slide altogether, add a couple mm of meat to the bottom and go to 4 mini recessed mags in the body and 4 protruding magnets on the door (the dowel effect)...If I where to re-invent the alu body that's what I would do

patrao_n

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2013
United States
I slide up. Why? Because I noticed that when I slide the door down and replace it from the bottom up, the magnet pulls the battery. I get a little ocd about the battery not being properly seated. If I had an atomizer that prevented the door from going that direction. I would figure something out. But for now I will always remove and replace from the top. :p

Sent from my SM-N900T

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
i know, i was being facetious. The issue with a small sliding door on one side would be that if it's on the dripwell side - then the atty would still prevent it sliding, and if it's on the switch side then you have a battery in the way.

i think gull wing doors like on a Lamborghini are the answer, since i can afford a Reo but not that car!

T

Borescoped

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2013
Minot, ND
i know, i was being facetious. The issue with a small sliding door on one side would be that if it's on the dripwell side - then the atty would still prevent it sliding, and if it's on the switch side then you have a battery in the way.

i think gull wing doors like on a Lamborghini are the answer, since i can afford a Reo but not that car!

T

If the groove channel was no higher than the current top of the door location, it shouldn't hit the atty at all. The door would actually be a little shorter than the current one, and the channel would slot in below the lowest point of the current dripwell/510 area. Sucks that I can't draw worth a crap, I'd sketch it out. A visual representation would be easier for everyone to understand I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread