Ideas for better cart designs... Free to all manufacturers to use!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rlorange

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2009
Australia
Just thinking that the design of the carts is really poor and basically the same for most ecigs (exception being the cartrige/atomizer combined).

I have some ideas for new cart designs which I think is a long overdue upgrade that the manufacturers have overlooked so far. Messy open cartriges with liquid ozzing out is not good from the point of view of the Authorities and the delivery to the atomizer is not very satisfactory.

I think any new cartridge design should screw into the back of the atomizer and/or seal so that there is no leakage. The atomizer should have dedicated holes on it rear side for vapour release separate to the wick opening.

Idea 1.

-rubber capped cart/reservoir with a mouthpiece end that screws off for refilling, no wool inside.

-central sharp hollow needle protruding from the atomiser which 'pierces' this rubber cap thus sealing the connection with atomizer. hollow needle prtrudes into liquid filled cart, is preforated along its length with holes and is filled with the metal wool wick so the cart will supply liquid on-demand at the ideal rate no matter what level is in the cart.

-separate holes explelling vapour from the atomizer.

Idea 2.

- cart screws onto the back of the atomizer and is sealed with an o-ring.

-tiny single hole in the middle of a rubber membrane sealing the end of the cart pushed up againts a flat circular metal mesh wick. This hole only delivers liquid under pressure.

- The back end of the cart has a syringe type sealed plunger which is geared up to a Rotating mouthpiece. So by roating a lightly ratcheted mputhpiece the plunger delivers a measured dose of liquid to the wick via the tiny hole under pressure thus acting like a valve.

-This design is sealed, refillable and replicates the 'drip method' but without the dripping!

I hope people can visualise this from my description. I would love to make an illustralion if I can find the time...

Vageorge

Mar 4, 2009
Australia
A paper-like material called tyvek is water proof, but air can pass through it. Some envelopes are made out of it. Maybe a piece of this or something in a cartridge may stop the liquid getting out but let the vapour through.

Also these are micro solenoid valves that could be used on a sealed cartridge to inject a single drop at a time onto the heating coil, preventing liquid getting out.

Attachments

• Semi Inert4.jpg
    Semi Inert4.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 41
  • Series 120 SV.jpg
    Series 120 SV.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 37

Houdini

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009
Las Vegas
I've been trying to come up with a way to make a 901 cart bigger. That's my only gripe. I don't have leaking problems and rarely have a mouth full of liquid. I think the leaking comes from the cart being pulled on and off so many times the plastic wears down and doesn't fit as tight. I was thinking of the O-ring too. That would be a good, cheap idea. I don't even think it would have to screw on. It could still be pushed on. What we got now is simple and cheap and basically works. I guess its all a matter of cost.

Cymri

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2009
Austin Texas
nice brainstorming there rlorange. I think the trend will be toward more robust designs - heavier gauge wire in atomizers and more power like madogs mods and the screwdriver using standard batteries. search the forum for muzeitgeist's cogent thoughts on atomizer design as well. 3 months should be a minimum lifetime for an atomizer.

I am very much looking forward to the 2nd generation of esmoking vaporizers. I think they will likely arise from innovative people on this forum and relieve the reliance on Chinese products

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread