If a 4.2v VV batt goes down in voltage as it discharges... is this inefficient for a dual coil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexjustdoit

Mar 28, 2014
Oregon
Just ordered an aerotank, but realized I need more volts than my current ego battery.

Was looking at either the Ego-vv or X6, both go up to 4.2v. From my searches, it looks like most users are using 4.0v to 4.5v with their aerotanks (or similar tanks). It also seems to me that cheaper batteries such as this, even VV, start fresh at say 4.2v but as they discharge they start using less volts.

My concern is this: If I need 4 to 4.5v for optimal performance, how fast will a 1300mAh (X6) dip below 4v after being freshly charged? I'm not looking to get into mods, i just want something simple to vape in peace without complexity (maybe I'll get into that later).

If I have mislead myself with any of this, please do tell me.

Dampmaskin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 28, 2014
Norway
www.steam-engine.org
As far as I know, most starter kits are regulated. The sales pitches for these are not normally very technically oriented, so no wonder there's no mention of them being regulated.

If you buy cheap knock-offs, then all bets are off. I bought an "Ego" clone once that turned out not to be regulated, and it was a waste of money.

alexjustdoit

Mar 28, 2014
Oregon
So I should probably stay away from the ego-vv on Fasttech, doubtless that's a clone. The X6 however, doesn't seem to be widely cloned and less popular, I'm wondering if that may just be genuine and therefore regulated.

I guess I would know pretty fast wouldn't I, as I'd probably notice my aero tank not getting enough power once it dropped from 4.2v to under 4v?

I'm open to alternatives, but I'm not really seeing any variable voltage or fixed voltage batteries in the 4-4.5v range that aren't $20-30, other than ego clones and the X6 on Fasttech...

Visus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2013
United States
Regulated batteries/mods keep the output voltage stable as the battery voltage decreases. In theory. Not all devices are created equal, and some, or most, show a slight dip as the battery is depleted. If that is enough for you to notice, depends on the device.
Ya,
There definitely is a tell -- when the battery is ready for a charge on Ego's. I could tell you when I have one more vape left before it stops firing. I think everyone gets that notion after some use. Works pretty amazingly well down to that point.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Regular, classic Joytech eGos are regulated (3.3-3.4v). Other, eGo-class batteries (non-vv) are usually non-regulated, which means they come off the charger at 4.2 volts and then quickly drop to 3.7v and then cut off when they reach 3.2v or so. Others, like the eGo-upgrade, offer 2 modes--regulated (3.3v) and unregulated (3.7v). VV eGo-style batteries (like eGo-C Twist, Vision Spinner) go up to 4.8 volts; iTaste VV V3 (vv/vw) goes up to 5 volts and 11 watts.

All vv/vw batteries are regulated; however, if you want to use big, dual coil tanks like the Aero (which are 510 threaded, BTW), I suggest you consider getting a battery with the highest capacity you can find, like the MVP 2 (2600 mAh, dual 510/eGo threading, 5v-11 watts). Dual coils require more wattage than single coils and they mow through the batteries (and juice) much faster than their single-coil cousins. :D Also, those bigger 510 threaded tanks are larger in diameter (usually 19 or 22 mm) than the eGo batteries (15 mm) and will make your PV look top heavy--if that matters to you, of course. That said, you can use any tank (dual or single coil) on any vv eGo-style battery--many people do.

Good luck.

alexjustdoit

Mar 28, 2014
Oregon
Visus: From looking at the replacement coil packs for the PT3 and Aero on the kanger website, it looks like each coil is 2.0 ohms. I'm not entirely sure what you were saying was dependent on that, the amount of time I could use it on a charge? I'm more concerned with the battery staying at or around the voltage I need.

Perhaps I misunderstood you?

Katya: Truly, *all* variable voltage batteries are regulated? Is this just a fact of the way that they are wired to obtain a specific voltage? So even variable voltage ego clones are regulated?

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Katya: Truly, *all* variable voltage batteries are regulated? Is this just a fact of the way that they are wired to obtain a specific voltage? So even variable voltage ego clones are regulated?

Yes. If you set your eGo-C Twist at 4.8 volts, you'll get 4.8 volts from the beginning to the end.

Visus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2013
United States
Visus: From looking at the replacement coil packs for the PT3 and Aero on the kanger website, it looks like each coil is 2.0 ohms. I'm not entirely sure what you were saying was dependent on that, the amount of time I could use it on a charge? I'm more concerned with the battery staying at or around the voltage I need.

Perhaps I misunderstood you?

Yes run time is based off the coil ohms your running which is called the load.
So with a 2ohm dual thats two 4 ohm coils in parallel and run time is based off your vaping frequency.
There really is no formulation other than experience.

I from experience told ya I get 6-8 hours with a 650mah ego using a single 2.4ohm coil.. Its dependant on my vaping use frequency.. You will get double that time or more with a 1300mah ego.. With a dual it all changes, @ 2ohms your device is still pushing through two 4 ohm coils and like Katya said, "it requires more watts to run it and run time will decrease moreso than running a single 2 ohm coil.

The ego is best suited to run 1.5 duals and above 2 ohm singles for best run times..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread