Overcharged battery question/search assist request

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been searching around for a couple days, including the forum archives...I can find a lot saying NOT to overcharge IMR-type batteries and why it's bad. What I can't find is info on if and when someone makes a mistake and does overcharge (to say 4.5V), how do they safely discharge down to the 4.2V range.

Ohm's law still puts vaping at 4.5V on higher resistance coil builds within a safe amp range for many of the better IMR cells. And, lots of us have variable voltage devices that run at much higher than 4.2V as it is.

Can someone provide links to prior threads, or simply give me a run down on what I can do practically with say a 18350 AW IMR that is charged to 4.5V? If I stick to the "math" and ohm's law and apply that to the max discharge rate of my cell, I think I'm okay. But is there also a way to safely discharge back down to 4.2V?

Also, for the record, and for other new peeps: cheaper chargers like the Trustfire TR-001 and others popular with the flashlight crowd seem to be designed specifically to charge Li-Ion cells to the 4.2V cutoff and actually cut off with that type cell. With the IMRs that have lower internal resistance, this equates to a fast charge rate (can be dangerous) and a misleading cutoff limit - if you leave the IMR charging too long in a charger like that, the little LED light may only turn green once that cell hits a good 4.4-4.5V, and only then will it (hopefully) quit charging. I was told my TR-001 would work fine for IMRs, but that's not what I've discovered over the past few days. The IMRs charge VERY quickly, and end up overcharging if I don't constantly pull them off and check the voltage. If you don't already know, overcharging IMR cells even to 4.5V will cut the life of your cell roughly in half, and that's the safest thing it will do.

The Nitecore I4 seems like the logical next purchase in this case, as it is meant for a variety of cell types and is adjustable for charge rate and such.

Anyway, I hope this helps someone, and I'd love to hear some methods for "decharging" over charged cells, and the general consensus on why we have to be so careful with overcharged IMR cells and max discharge amperage, but so many VV devices otherwise kick out 5 or 6V "safely". I really don't think the VV devices with the built in 1100mAh cell have higher than 3C ratings on average. So what gives?

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
When you overcharge a battery it will damage the internal chemistry slightly, this will effect the batteries life span (number of times it will be able to be recharged) If done often enough it can affect the specifications the battery can endure in operation. Your battery starts out fresh out of the factory in the best condition it will ever be, after being discharged, recharged, exposed to heat and cold (normal summer and winter), etc there will be slow degradation until it is no longer usable.

Charged to 4.5 volts is over the recommended and you can put it in a mech mod, equipped with a high resistance coil (in the 2.5Ω - 3.5Ω range) and fire it in short bursts a few times (held away from you, not vaping) and recheck the voltage. The overcharge is a surface charge and should not last long, as the normal operating voltage of the Li-ion is actually 3.7 volts.

The Nitecore I4 would be very much the logical next purchase....:vapor:

Nytebreed

ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2010
Boston, MA USA
+1 on the new charger. The Nitecore I4 is good and inexpensive, I just picked up a D4 on impulse and love it, the digital display is awesome, the Efest Luc is also a great charger.
A good charger will prevent overcharging, and the digital display models will allow you to know what the battery voltage is from the time you put it on the charger to the time it is done.

As Stosh mentioned the overcharge is not a problem that the extra 3 tenths of a volt will harm your device, then strain on the battery reducing life and potentially creating unsafe invisible internal damage to the battery.
If you vape in a manner that is at or near your batteries limits, chuck it. If not, use it and pick up a better charger to prevent it happening again.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Overcharging damages the cathode/anode structure of the battery itself. Obviously it's nothing you can see, but that breakdown will result in - on the "good" side - shortened life spans. On the "bad" side - potential for thermal runaway and venting.

Any charger should be checked to make sure it's operating properly, and one of those checks is to test battery voltages as close to the end of the charge cycle as possible to get the best reading on what the charger is actually doing.

Jumping from a Trustfire to a Nitecore is cheap, but it's hardly logical. Since the I4 is an "all things wonderful" multi-function charger for Li-On, NiMh and NiCd batteries one other "feature" you need to be aware of is: it cannot recover Li-On batteries that have gone under voltage. They can call it "Intelli" anything - it's really not all that smart.

If you want good reliable chargers for Li-On batteries stick with Pila or Xtar. :2c:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread