If some e-juice deteriorates plastic, then is it safe for my lungs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just started vaping within the last month or so, and love it. I enjoyed smoking, but of course figured this must be healthier, and even if it was just as bad I'd probably still vape instead because of all the other advantages. Anyways, I soon noticed that my plastic tank was cracking and I knew it hadn't been dropped or anything, so I asked the clerk at the local e-cig shop where I bought my mod and juice. She basically just told me, "Well they're so fragile you probably just cracked it and didn't realize it," and then suggested I buy a glass tank with a pyrex sleeve, which I did.

I kept using both tanks, just for the convenience of swapping flavors, and noticed that the plastic one continued to crack, and then noticed that even the tip was becoming deformed on the inside. So I found out that there are plenty of reports of some types or flavors of e-juice that react with and damage plastic. Easy fix though, just use all glass and metal parts. But my problem is wondering how those flavors are affecting my health if they are damaging plastic???

I've searched around for an answer to this and couldn't find anything (apart from using the right equipment or other juices, but it's not my mod I'm worried about). That's the reason I just registered but then found that I couldn't post in the health forum. So, if someone can point me to any info on this, I'd appreciate it.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
It's a common worry. Basically, there are known (and unknown) flavours that will crack or "leech" into plastic tanks.

I've not come across one yet in over 500 bottles, but they are out there....

If I should ever find one, I'd also like to know if inhaling the vapour is any more risky... (so, I'm no help.....)

Good luck though. :)

ImperfectFuture

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2014
Seattle
I've been doing tank crackers from mbv, though other companies same flavors don't crack tanks (who knows about peach).

There are plenty of threads on the forums regarding this, so one needs to search more thoroughly. :D

However, the leech into plastic is a reaction between anise (which is in those flavors) and pg. so, the more vg you have, the less tank cranking done. It is a simple reaction with plastic, and does not damage lungs (but really, one shouldn't be inhaling, since there is really no benefit, you don't get nicotine from ejuice in lungs, just cigarettes). Jmo

You can also find videos documenting this on YouTube.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
It tends to be citrus, cinnamon, and strong menthol juices that do this though not all of them and there are other flavors as well. There are a few lists here on the forum, this being one: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-juices-flavors-crack-tanks-ce2s-clearos.html

While I can't say for certain that these are harmless to vape, it's a chemical reaction between the liquid and certain types of plastic that is happening. Soda will also dissolve a tooth if you leave one submerged long enough. Every time you smell an orange you're inhaling citrus.

One thing you can do to minimize this, if you're truly worried, is to not inhale the vapor into your lungs. Nicotine transfer is more efficient in your mouth and nose, so mouth inhales and mouth/nose exhales do just fine for a lot of vapers.

Joe P.

Mar 9, 2014
At Home
:facepalm: Again. "As you noted anything is safer than cigarettes." Sucking on a shotgun, much safer.
Any vendor that sells product that destroys plastic tanks should be slapped. Their product is no way safe for consumption in any way. To try to make more profit by using inferior and dangerous products is reprehensible and shameful. No matter what part of the process the additives are introduced. I have bought many (similar) flavors from other vendors with no issues. Find the "additive", find the vendor(s) avoid them. Plain and simple.

Last edited:

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
:facepalm: Again. "As you noted anything is safer than cigarettes." Sucking on a shotgun, much safer.
Any vendor that sells product that destroys plastic tanks should be slapped. Their product is no way safe for consumption in any way. To try to make more profit by using inferior and dangerous products is reprehensible and shameful. No matter what part of the process the additives are introduced. I have bought many (similar) flavors from other vendors with no issues. Find the "additive", find the vendor(s) avoid them. Plain and simple.

It's not about "inferior and dangerous products", it's simply a natural reaction certain flavours have with certain kinds of plastic. It's a material-specific chemical reaction, and as someone said unless your lungs are made of plastic (and a specific type of plastic at that) you have no reason to worry. Not dangerous to your lungs, other than possibly getting some of the dissolved plastic into your system. Use a glass tank and you avoid that problem.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Joe P.

Mar 9, 2014
At Home
It's not about "inferior and dangerous products", it's simply a natural reaction certain flavours have with certain kinds of plastic. It's a material-specific chemical reaction, and as someone said unless your lungs are made of plastic (and a specific type of plastic at that) you have no reason to worry. Not dangerous to your lungs, other than possibly getting some of the dissolved plastic into your system. Use a glass tank and you avoid that problem.

:facepalm: it's simply a natural reaction
:facepalm: It's a material-specific chemical reaction.
:facepalm: unless your lungs are made of plastic
:facepalm: Not dangerous to your lungs
Please quantify which reactions you are referring to. Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) on several of these "reactions" have been noted as unsafe and expected.
I guess gasoline would be good as well, if we avoid plastic tanks.

Last edited:

Lucky1384

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2014
Sheffield, UK
I avoid cinnamon simply because of the uncertainty around the ingredients and if they're safe.

As far as other tank crackers go, it really doesn't take anything dangerous to crack plastic. At work we use natural organic cleaning agents, and a particularly zesty one is well known now to really mess up the polycarbonate safety guards we have. At the end of the day, lemon juice is an acid, but still very tasty :D Do you drink Coke? Have you seen what that stuff does to metal? I drink it regularly and haven't had a cavity or other problem in many years. Same goes for brown sauce (not sure if it's popular outside the UK), many people use it to eat rust and remove oxidation from brass.

Joe P.

Mar 9, 2014
At Home
I avoid cinnamon simply because of the uncertainty around the ingredients and if they're safe.

As far as other tank crackers go, it really doesn't take anything dangerous to crack plastic. At work we use natural organic cleaning agents, and a particularly zesty one is well known now to really mess up the polycarbonate safety guards we have. At the end of the day, lemon juice is an acid, but still very tasty :D Do you drink Coke? Have you seen what that stuff does to metal? I drink it regularly and haven't had a cavity or other problem in many years. Same goes for brown sauce (not sure if it's popular outside the UK), many people use it to eat rust and remove oxidation from brass.

Yes cola and lemon juice, lemon zest fine in plastic. Not sure what you mean.

ImperfectFuture

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2014
Seattle
Also, lemon juice is a natural dissolver of grout and othr nasties on your sink (I'm into REALLY green cleaning, several ebooks on how to clean with what you eat. AND, you can't keep pure lemon juice in a plastic bottle. However, I have no problem adding 1/4 lemon, about 1/2 teaspoon of organic raw apple cider, and honey together to drink (methinks I smell the stuff too, so inhaling more into lungs than actual ejuice). Also, have another 1/4 lemon in glass of water to finish off the two glasses to start the day.

Vinegar and baking soda, scrub veggies. Vinegar and corn starch, natural carpet cleaner. While you can store Vinegar and water in plastic spray bottle, don't try this with vinegar and lemon. Also, lemon juice or alcohol, you soak the filters to get off gunk (also, hydrogen peroxide). Hydrogen peroxide and lemon juice, natural alternative bleach (though I also use some bonners natural soap, hydrogen peroxide, and baking soda). The combo will ovrheat if not allowed to breathe a little. But absolutely no poisonous gases are released. (much safer than using actual bleach, and no VOCs, something that is at the heart of safety regarding second hand ejuice).

But whatever floats your boat. I've REALLY enjoyed blood orange by nt baker, and have had no ill effects (and that stuff is so tasty, wanna gulp)

:vapor: :toast:

Last edited:

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
:facepalm: it's simply a natural reaction
:facepalm: It's a material-specific chemical reaction.
:facepalm: unless your lungs are made of plastic
:facepalm: Not dangerous to your lungs
Please quantify which reactions you are referring to. Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) on several of these "reactions" have been noted as unsafe and expected.
I guess gasoline would be good as well, if we avoid plastic tanks.

A lot of facepalms there but not a lot of evidence. A lot of chemicals will deteriorate polycarbonate plastic (which is the most common plastic used in clearomizers, some of them are unsafe for human consumption, others are safe. For example, allspice, cloves, and nutmeg will rapidly attack pc. Cola, coffee, and cocoa may degrade pc over time. Citric acid is generally ok in concentrations below 10%, but increase the concentration and it's a different matter. Also, the concentration of flavours in eliquid are high - increasing the likelihood of degradation of pc, but the amounts we actually inhale are miniscule. For example, a glass (2.5 dl) of orange juice contains about 2.2 grams of citric acid. A lemon-flavoured e-liquid will have a far greater concentration of citric than orange juice (and will thus be more likely to dissolve polycarbonate tanks) but you'll get far more citric acid into your system by drinking a glass of orange juice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread