If you can't find GANDALF, SHADOWFAX, GOLLUM, etc., don't freak out...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkinniePost

ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2012
Madison, WI
The names on their own were never the main issue... It was the association that was made, mainly through the use of images, which were then strengthened by the use of the name that was commonly associated with them. Can anyone argue that the use of the names and images were not meant to evoke an association to the film and story? The use of the name Gandalf, a nonspecific name on its own and not copyrighted, with a random picture wouldn't have been as big a deal, but still could have been deemed questionable. The key to the whole thing is willful intent to make the association with copyrighted material, regardless of potential for profit. I could get a cease and desist letter for my current avatar, and I would immediately remove it. The likelihood of it happening is probably pretty slim, since I am not using it for profit, but it could still happen.

Last edited:

CarbonThief

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
juice fanatic" data-source="post: 8270270" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
Todd the E juice fanatic said:
Kate Beckinsale is my dream girl...;)

Yeah she's damn hot, I mean, have you SEEN her as a vampire in those other movies? Whatever they are called. Smokin'.

EddardinWinter

The Philosopher Who Rides
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
But the thing is... it says "Heather's Heavenly Vapes" on it...

The photos are attached to comments made by the user (a forum post), something the author may not want to have associated with their work - and they have every right to defend it's use. Damages don't have to be monetary.

A note saying you claim no ownership does NOT excuse you from the law, and would have ZERO effect in court.

If it's on the internet, it's not personal use.

If it says HHV on it, fingers will be pointed at them. Even if a fan created it and supplied the links, it'd be up to HHV to defend themselves.

The things you said are mostly true, it's just that none of it applies to this situation... not even a little bit. The lines of distinction can be thin, but they matter greatly.

The author is dead. WB purchased the rights to this when they started making movies. JRR Tolkien (the author) has no feelings on the use of the name, images, etc. I conceded that the poster could be notified by WB, and even given a cease and desist letter. That does not change the fact that WB would not pursue the matter if an individual poster did this. Here is why.

Of course they would have legal right to try to stop you. But to what end? They could pursue a hundred of these, and if the people receiving cease and desist letters change the avatars, and there is no consideration gained by the poster, what will WB pursue it for? It would cause them great expense for minimal (if any) gain. The fact that there is no monetary damage makes the pursuit of the case against a poster on ECF a loser for WB. In my book, that is as relevant as it gets. I would say, therefore, that it applies to this situation.

There is no legal precedent to hold HHV liable for an unassociated third parties actions. There is no case law I am aware of to back your assertion to the contrary. Sure, a judge could create this precedent if he felt like it, but that is extremely unlikely, since there is a high likelihood of it being overturned on appeal. Corporations generally do not make a case of extremely unlikely payoffs with low end pay outs.

The cease and desist to HHV had teeth because there were merits to the arguments that HHV enjoyed value added to their product through the use of this name. Therefore, there was consideration. It became a worthwhile matter to pursue for WB. Wisely, HHV immediately and publicly complied with the cease and desist letter. Without a violation of the cease and desist letter after it's receipt (I have no idea of the specific language of it) it will be difficult for WB to pursue this matter successfully.

EddardinWinter

The Philosopher Who Rides
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
I stand on the merits of what I stated, despite your interesting response that it is a "wall of WRONG". I am also open to changing part of that opinion if someone can cite case law holding a vendor responsible for the copyright infringements of an unassociated third party.

Nothing personal here, I just disagree with your positions, PanSiren. Have a great evening at work!

kdwycha

ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2012
Tampa, FL
gthompson:8270309 said:
There's a movie called Legend too (starring a very young Tom Cruise), but you can't copyright common words just because you use them in a movie title.

That is not entirely true. Go to UPS. com and read the bottom of the page. The color brown is owned by UPS and they can sue anyone using brown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread