iJoy 21700/3750 mAh 40A -OR- ZestQuest 21700/4000mAh -OR- SC 21700/4000 mAh

Status
Not open for further replies.

virm

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2019
hi @mimöschen. so i've ordered a vaporesso gen so need more 18650. couple of questions after looking thru the mooch list

i should be looking at the high power comlumn right? (even though i don't go near 100w)
is the latest consensus that we do need to pair/couple batteries?
(if i should indeed get the highpower ones) i'm eyeing the molicels at nkon, but there's one that's not mentioned in mooch: P28A. Is that better than P26A or too big or something?

mimöschen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2016
Cells should be married, yes.

The P28A performs roughly the same as the P26. I haven't heard of any problems considering their size.

If you want to save a few bucks, get the VTC5A instead. On paper the Molicels might be slightly better, but you won't notice a difference in actual use.
Stay away from the "refurbished" version though. Those are harvested from battery packs and not suited for vaping.

virm

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2019
Cells should be married, yes.

The P28A performs roughly the same as the P26. I haven't heard of any problems considering their size.

If you want to save a few bucks, get the VTC5A instead. On paper the Molicels might be slightly better, but you won't notice a difference in actual use.
Stay away from the "refurbished" version though. Those are harvested from battery packs and not suited for vaping.

ok so keep the one i have as a spare for the single cell mod and get two new ones for the new double-cell.

or does married just means charge them together, not use them together from the start?

thanks a bunch. i hope i'm not presumtiously over dependent on you.

yes the molicels are +1euro for 26A and the 28A +2. tho mooch doth say better. we'll see. not sure i'll order before i get the mod. last time was a breeze and i found the package lying at the doorstep (which is weird, the Packetbote didn't do that the one or two times i ordered off amazon), but i keep worrying customs might be in a mood and they hold my shipments. ordered FT and cigabuy.

when i put VTC5A in search at nkon i got types with buttons as well, it clearly says which are refurbished, but there's two identical normal ones with a 20cent difference.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
married from start

Yup. The point of marriage (for batteries, at least) is to make sure the cells have the same experiences so they age and deteriorate at as close to the same rate and in the same ways as possible. Buy them together, use them together, charge them together.

• Informative
Reactions: virm

virm

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2019
Yup. The point of marriage (for batteries, at least) is to make sure the cells have the same experiences so they age and deteriorate at as close to the same rate and in the same ways as possible. Buy them together, use them together, charge them together.

because the current is otherwise effected? even in a regul. mod?
should be efficient enough, help keep the stuff orderly now that it's piling. gotta get rid of my old starter kit, sell it or give it to somebody

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
Mooch has a great video on cell marriage (among other things):

If you have different model batteries, or batteries in different condition, their voltage will drop at different rates. As soon as you have a voltage differential, the demand on one battery is greater than the other, so all your CDR calculations etc. are invalid. Differences in internal resistance are even more significant.

In the best case scenario, you'll only get the performance of the weaker battery so you'll get low battery warnings more frequently than necessary. If you're using a mech or if any of your regulated mod's safety circuits fail, things can get dangerous.

One thing to note is that cells are married to each other, not the mod. If you have more than one dual battery mod, feel free to use a married pair in any mod. Just don't split them up for use in a single battery mod then put them together again.

• Informative

virm

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2019
@Hawise Thanks. I do try and do my own reading rather than hammer you all, but even when i find something i sometimes feel i should double check.

on that note; here's a bucnh

my one current battery has fallen a couple of times and now the wrapping is a bit broken on the bottom (neg pole).
i've taped it down for the time being, and the mod is regulated.
waiting for delivery of new one.
i've read up on re-wrapping, and i'm clear on the how, etc. but i came across someone among those who recommend just buying a new one saying that since most such breaks come from falling you really shouldn't rewrap and use; if i understand correctly, he/she means the battery falling is a separate matter than the wrapping problem and that falling is a clear reason to stop using the cell.
Does the battery falling mess it up or can i rewrap and keep it?

less urgently, i'm wondering if it's ok to mark your batteries somehow to tell them apart? flumaster or something, or people just note the serial numbers to keep track?

also should i buy backups or do you just get batteries when you need them?

mimöschen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2016
Dropping a cell can cause damage inside.
If it gets hot or performance drops significantly, recycle it.
The wraps on most cells are very thin, so they may tear very easily, not only because of drops. Double wrapping a cell helps a lot though.

I mark my cells with a cd ink pen and double wrap them with a second clear wrap. Don't use a common "Edding", because the chemicals inside it may dissolve the pvc wraps.

A backup is always a good thing imo. If you can afford it, get an extra set and cycle the pairs frequently.
But you don't need them at all costs.

Last edited:
  • Useful

virm

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2019
Dropping a cell can cause damage inside.
If it gets hot or performance drops significantly, recycle it.
The wraps on most cells are very thin, so they may tear very easily, not only because of drops. Double wrapping a cell helps a lot though.

I mark my cells with a cd ink pen and double wrap them with a second clear wrap. Don't use a common "Edding", because the chemicals inside it may dissolve the pvc wraps.

A backup is always a good thing imo. If you can afford it, get an extra set and cycle the pairs frequently.
But you don't need them at all costs.

wonderful. not unreasonable to get two sets for the coming dual-cell-mod. i'll keep my eye on the current one, whose backup i've already ordered (the 21700).

cd pen_ morgen.

any brand for wrapping alright? and... errm... is there an alternative to hairdrying it?

@mimöschen heisst die auf Deutsch, 'Schrumpffolie'? nevermind. found it under Schrumplauch at Akkuteile. But none of these are clear, nor are they on Nkon. where do you get yours?
thanks.

Last edited:

virm

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2019
A hairdryer gives me the best and most consistent results, but you can use a lighter or candle instead for example, but you have to be a lot more careful when you apply open flames.
Never put them in the oven or something similar.

I get my pvc shrink wraps from Fasttech.

thanks. i'll chekc it out.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
any brand for wrapping alright? and... errm... is there an alternative to hairdrying it?

Do you mean the wrap brands? I don't actually know of any particular brands. I just get whatever's available. You'll find that some wraps are stronger than others, while some are a wee bit thicker or thinner.

I use a cheap embossing heat tool to rewrap. It's sort of a low-powered heat gun.

I'd recommend watching a few youtube videos before you start. Key warnings are:
  • Be exceedingly careful with the naked cell. Take off any rings, necklaces or other jewellery that could come in contact with it.
  • Use the minimum heat possible. It's really easy to overheat the battery if you're not careful, especially when using an open flame.

virm

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2019
Do you mean the wrap brands? I don't actually know of any particular brands. I just get whatever's available. You'll find that some wraps are stronger than others, while some are a wee bit thicker or thinner.

I use a cheap embossing heat tool to rewrap. It's sort of a low-powered heat gun.

I'd recommend watching a few youtube videos before you start. Key warnings are:
  • Be exceedingly careful with the naked cell. Take off any rings, necklaces or other jewellery that could come in contact with it.
  • Use the minimum heat possible. It's really easy to overheat the battery if you're not careful, especially when using an open flame.

thanks. already seen a couple. didn't come across such a tool. who do i know here to nick their hairdryer?
i think i'll just wrap the new wrap over the old wrap, no?

virm

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2019
The VTC6 is a decent high capacity cell.
I prefere the VTC5A though. YMMV.;)

thanks.
der Bote ist gekommen aber ich war in der Toilette! Muss bis Montag warten, bis ich mein neues Geraet bekommen kann. Feels as disappointing as when i had to wait for candy when i was a kid.

so no clear this one is for above 100w vs that is for longer lasting charge or the sort of difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread