iJoy 40A 4200mAh 26650 Bench Test Results...overrated but a great 30A battery!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeekyGeezer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Flyover Central
This is an older thread but I thought I'd throw in an update.

I got an email from liionwholesale.com that they had these batteries in stock. I ordered a pair and they arrived today. But I am beyond disappointed in that they won't work in my Dicodes No 6! Not only are they too small in diameter (serious rattle) but they are also too short. The battery cap runs out of threads before contact is made.

This is a new one on me. I've heard of batteries being too big, but never too small. I wish I had some calipers so I could compare their size to that of my old standby Basens The only apparent difference is that on the Basens, the positive terminal is slightly raised from the top of the battery. On the Ijoys, it's completely level.

I suppose I could rig up some sort of shim to make up the length difference, but just the safety aspect of that has me shivering.

Reactions: stols001

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    This is an older thread but I thought I'd throw in an update.

I got an email from liionwholesale.com that they had these batteries in stock. I ordered a pair and they arrived today. But I am beyond disappointed in that they won't work in my Dicodes No 6! Not only are they too small in diameter (serious rattle) but they are also too short. The battery cap runs out of threads before contact is made.

This is a new one on me. I've heard of batteries being too big, but never too small. I wish I had some calipers so I could compare their size to that of my old standby Basens The only apparent difference is that on the Basens, the positive terminal is slightly raised from the top of the battery. On the Ijoys, it's completely level.

I suppose I could rig up some sort of shim to make up the length difference, but just the safety aspect of that has me shivering.

That's the first I've ever heard of a battery being too short. Thanks for reporting it!

I have to strongly advise against using a shim.

GeekyGeezer

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 14, 2015
    Flyover Central
    That's the first I've ever heard of a battery being too short. Thanks for reporting it!

I have to strongly advise against using a shim.

Thanks for the reply. I have to admit I wasn't serious about the shim thing.

For those who are unfamilar with the mod, it doesn't use spring tension for battery connection. I'm assuming Dicodes didn't want to deal with the varying resistance that a spring can introduce into the equation. It uses a cap which screws into threads inside the mod's battery bay. There seem to be plenty of threads there (maybe 5 or 6?) but obviously not enough in this case.

Though my Basens locate fine, I'm wondering if there might be an issue with my mod, that somehow the internal positive terminal is higher in the mod than it should be. I can't really see in there very well. The thought crossed my mind since, as Mooch states, a too short battery is pretty much unheard of. I've posted some messages in places Dicodes owners tend to hang out trying to see if anyone else has run into this problem.

Reactions: stols001

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Thanks for the reply. I have to admit I wasn't serious about the shim thing.

For those who are unfamilar with the mod, it doesn't use spring tension for battery connection. I'm assuming Dicodes didn't want to deal with the varying resistance that a spring can introduce into the equation. It uses a cap which screws into threads inside the mod's battery bay. There seem to be plenty of threads there (maybe 5 or 6?) but obviously not enough in this case.

Though my Basens locate fine, I'm wondering if there might be an issue with my mod, that somehow the internal positive terminal is higher in the mod than it should be. I can't really see in there very well. The thought crossed my mind since, as Mooch states, a too short battery is pretty much unheard of. I've posted some messages in places Dicodes owners tend to hang out trying to see if anyone else has run into this problem.

There are differences in the lengths of 26650's though.
    If your positive terminal is a bent piece of sheet metal, as seen in so many battery sleds, then perhaps it has flattened some?

GeekyGeezer

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 14, 2015
    Flyover Central
    There are differences in the lengths of 26650's though.
    If your positive terminal is a bent piece of sheet metal, as seen in so many battery sleds, then perhaps it has flattened some?

This thing has my curiousity aroused, so I found a really strong light and looked down into the battery cavity.

These things were made by German medical equipment engineers so it wasn't a surprise when I saw that the board (or at least the section that carries the positive terminal) is round, the size of the battery tube, and looks a lot like the old Kick devices from a few years ago. It's unlike any board I've seen before (Yihi, SXK, Evolv) The contact is a pretty hefty gold colored puck in the center of the pcb, and the metallic arm it's mounted to is soldered to the board itself. I don't see any signs that it has moved since if it had been mounted more towards the opening of the tube there wouldn't be anything to mount it on. No brackets or attach point in the cavity anywhere.

I also checked my Dani Box (18650 mod) and it looks exactly the same but obviously the board is a smaller diameter.

So at this point I'm saying the battery is shorter than the Basen at least, and enough to cause a problem on this mod. I really wanted to try these but it looks like I need to move them on.

Hi, I'm new here but I have two mods coming in that use 26650s, a custom made unregulated box and a lost vape skar. Does anyone use this battery in the skar, does it fit fine? I allready bought two of the ijoy's, and really wanted to try them. I guess it will be fine, I'll have to check out a good review on the skar to see the battery contacts.

el tomaso

KenD

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 20, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    kennetgranholm.com
    i'm getting the weak battery message using a 26650 ijoy 4200mah 40A on a dx75 dna75 mod, does anyone knows what migth be the problem, or how to solve it?
    What's your wattage? I'm guessing that you're getting the message due to the voltage under load being low due to a too watt setting.

Sent from my K6000 Pro using Tapatalk

excalibur-x

ECF Veteran
    Nov 15, 2016
    i'm getting the weak battery message using a 26650 ijoy 4200mah 40A on a dx75 dna75 mod, does anyone knows what migth be the problem, or how to solve it?
    Did you install service pack?

What are your settings, what kind of tank are using, what is your cut-off limit?

I get whole day of vaping 10-15 ml on 35W (50W preheat) without any warnings.

Sent from my LeTv 1 Pro using Tapatalk

J.D. Merchant

Sep 2, 2016
    Maryland, U.S.
    20171207_122902-1.jpg
    20171207_122911-1.jpg
    Capture+_2017-12-07-12-34-01-1.png
    Hey Mooch photo one is the iJoy 26650 I purchased a couple of months ago. Black iJoy band around the positive and scratch off code on the side.
    The second is what they are selling now are these the same cells would you know or a re-wrap thanks appreciate all of your hard work bro.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Reactions: J.D. Merchant

Barkuti

ECF Veteran
    May 3, 2016
    Alhama de Murcia, Spain
    I know GeekyGeezer's issue was due long ago but…
    If cell height supplementing is required my advice is to add low temperature solder on the positive terminal. I've personally used Rose's metal (particularly Bi50Pb32Sn18, available in pellet form on eBay for relatively inexpensive buck amounts) for height supplementing and battery pack assembly to great satisfaction. You'll also need a standard soldering iron and some aggressive flux or some sort of fine file.
    The positive terminal of some batteries can sink if somehow excessive pressure is applied to it, happened this to a close friend's NCR18650B inside a flashlight because of a drop.

Cheers :)

Reactions: J.D. Merchant
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread