iJoy Katana - help please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

yeeteryotes

Sep 16, 2019
Hello, I joined this forum with hopes of getting some help with my iJoy Katana.

I got it from an acquaintance about a month and a half ago, and was initially was going to purchase it from him. Two days before I was going to buy it it stopped working, and I got it for free. I've been trying this past month and a half to charge it back up, update the software, etc. I only got it to charge recently (apparently my cables weren't working for it) - as in today - but after downloading the iJoy software update application and pressing the fire button while inserting the cable, nothing happened. I've tried a few times but the only thing that happens is that the "Katana V1.2" screen pops up for a second before the battery charging animation starts.

I've tried leaving it for two hours to charge, seeing if the software will pick up the vape, and changing the USB ports, but nothing's worked. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
If it won't charge, the battery is probably not good any more. Internal battery mods have a life that is only as long as the battery remains good. That could be a year, could be more, could be less.

If you are talking about updating firmware, it could be the cable. The cable would have to be data compatible to upgrade the firmware

yeeteryotes

Sep 16, 2019
If it won't charge, the battery is probably not good any more. Internal battery mods have a life that is only as long as the battery remains good. That could be a year, could be more, could be less.

If you are talking about updating firmware, it could be the cable. The cable would have to be data compatible to upgrade the firmware

Do you have a specific cable you'd recommend I use? I'm currently using a cable from a friend that I believe was a cable for their PS4. They have an information plug connected to their laptop (I'm not sure how exactly to describe it), and every time a USB cable is inserted the light next to it will flash to indicate that information is going from the device to the laptop - it didn't blink with the Katana.

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
Do you have a specific cable you'd recommend I use? I'm currently using a cable from a friend that I believe was a cable for their PS4. They have an information plug connected to their laptop (I'm not sure how exactly to describe it), and every time a USB cable is inserted the light next to it will flash to indicate that information is going from the device to the laptop - it didn't blink with the Katana.

Unfortunately, there's not much that can be diagnosed as far as what is wrong with the Katana. Any more information would be nice... Like when did it stop working, how old is the Katana, was there a failed software update? etc... there could be many things that is wrong with it... perhaps there is a short, perhaps the electronics are bad, or perhaps the battery is bad... there is no definitive way of finding out, and Ecigs do not have a diagnostics mode. Also, since the battery is built in, the only way to diagnose the battery is to open the mod, de-soldier the battery, and hook it up to a battery tester.

The first option, would be to see if it's under warranty. If it is, I recommend trying to get it replaced through the reseller first, if not them, then Ijoy. Of cours, I would try another charger and cable first to check that part out. It uses a standard micro USB cable, and those are quite popular. It charges the same as an android phone, so you'll probably want to get an android charging cable, and a 1 amp wall adapter. If you know someone who has an android phone, ask them, they probably have a few laying around. I wouldn't suggest charging it from a laptop. (BTW, the "information port" is called a USB port.

Hope this helps some.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread