IKV Gold 510 Cartomizer LR - Horizontal Coil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaporologist

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2010
Epic Journey
Hey everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has any additional info or opinions based on personal experience with this carto. The description from the website states:

Come and witness the All new 510 Gold Stainless Cartomizer! Built with tightly woven high density filler with a horizontal coil. These have been specially made for perfection on 3.4-4.2V and are guaranteed not to burn. They retain liquid and disperse vapor with finesse. We do go above and beyond overall resistances with the perfect aim of execution focusing on other internal components such as wiring, environment, and actual heating element resistances.

Cartomizer's are of a different species than atomizers. They can last just as long if not longer with the proper care, but they are known as disposable. As an atomizer has metal mesh, cartomizers are made with polyester type batting. They're job is to hold a good amount of liquid and avoid constant dripping. The setup gives moderate flavor and moderate throat hit depending on applied voltage. For true potential apply 4.4V with varible voltage device.

What's the resistance of this carto?

Beside the horizontal coil, how are these different from LR 510 Gold V2 2.0 which appears to be a LR version of the current standard V2?

I assume the coil is at the bottom. Would that be correct?

I'm on the prowl for the best tank carto on a 3.7V PV to fit my needs. Great TH and ability to wick quickly are a must. I love the 510 Gold V2 in a tank at 5V and DCs at 6V for those reasons. I've seen satisfactory reports on single coil 1.7s at 3.7V and I'm entertaining the idea of giving them a shot. But I've always felt that a bottom horizontal coil would be ideal for a tank since usually a filler stays dry at the top. So, I'm hoping that this carto could be it. But I'm curious to hear some feedback please.

Thanks a lot! :thumb:

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
Can't say my good man. that was around the time that I got totally lost with the plethora of cartos hitting the streets with similar names (remember)

OTOH I made meself a tank using the Gold V2 dripomisers (length). 6V was too hot for it, 3.7V was too cold (gurgling) and 5V is just right. Good TH, great flavour and great vapour, but YMMV. BTW not sure how your top is drying out submerged in a tank of liquid, mine constantly looks like a slushy?

Vaporologist

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2010
Epic Journey
Can't say my good man. that was around the time that I got totally lost with the plethora of cartos hitting the streets with similar names (remember)

OTOH I made meself a tank using the Gold V2 dripomisers (length). 6V was too hot for it, 3.7V was too cold (gurgling) and 5V is just right. Good TH, great flavour and great vapour, but YMMV. BTW not sure how your top is drying out submerged in a tank of liquid, mine constantly looks like a slushy?

It sounds like you got it just right, Switched! :cool:

As you may know, many people struggle with tanks. There are so many things that affect the performance and juice flow rate and they each need to be considered when fine-tuning the carto/tank setup: type of a carto (easy or stiffer draw), thickness of the juice, size of a hole or a slot, juice consumption rate based on wattage preferences, soft vs. hard pull vaping style preferences, etc... And just when you get all the stars to align, a few days go by and the draw on your carto stiffens causing it to obviously start flooding... Some cartos (like Boges) require a larger hole or even a slot in order to be fed properly while other cartos with less or looser filler (like Gold V2s and DCs) work better with a very tiny punched hole due to their ability to transfer juice at a more rapid rate. To accomplish for your carto to stay completely wet/moist without flooding is very challenging and takes a lot of trial and error and finesse, imo....

Boge cartos seem to always appear dry at the top and, in my experience, are always about 7-10 drops away from being completely saturated, even with two slots cut. I don't care for them much. V2s and DCs also appear to be dry at the top but completely saturate with only two or three drops added or just a couple of cold pulls, whether I've been vaping 15 minutes or 5 hrs... So I'm very happy with my tank setup at 5V and 6V and I'm hoping to find that at 3.7V.

I was ready to order LR 510 Gold V2s last night but got curious when I ran across the LR Gold horizontal coil. If it has the same filler material as the V2 and if the only difference is the type of a coil and it's bottom position, it sounds like it could potentially be ideal for tanks... I don't know, I wish Isaac would chime in if he is the only one who knows all the details...

Thanks.

loft

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2011
CT
I know the 808 LR Mega's use a horizontal coil but I can't remember if they wick as fast as the Gold v2... I've been using the Fusions in my tank and they adapt just fine. The only time I flooded it was when I filled the tank and rushed putting it back together. The pressure of pushing the carto back in forced juice through the slots, in turn flooding it and the juice shot out the battery connection.

Vaporologist

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2010
Epic Journey
I know the 808 LR Mega's use a horizontal coil but I can't remember if they wick as fast as the Gold v2... I've been using the Fusions in my tank and they adapt just fine. The only time I flooded it was when I filled the tank and rushed putting it back together. The pressure of pushing the carto back in forced juice through the slots, in turn flooding it and the juice shot out the battery connection.

Ahh, I didn't know that about 808s... So, could this pretty much be an LR808 with 510 threading?

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
It sounds like you got it just right, Switched! :cool:

As you may know, many people struggle with tanks. There are so many things that affect the performance and juice flow rate and they each need to be considered when fine-tuning the carto/tank setup: type of a carto (easy or stiffer draw), thickness of the juice, size of a hole or a slot, juice consumption rate based on wattage preferences, soft vs. hard pull vaping style preferences, etc... And just when you get all the stars to align, a few days go by and the draw on your carto stiffens causing it to obviously start flooding... Some cartos (like Boges) require a larger hole or even a slot in order to be fed properly while other cartos with less or looser filler (like Gold V2s and DCs) work better with a very tiny punched hole due to their ability to transfer juice at a more rapid rate. To accomplish for your carto to stay completely wet/moist without flooding is very challenging and takes a lot of trial and error and finesse, imo....

Boge cartos seem to always appear dry at the top and, in my experience, are always about 7-10 drops away from being completely saturated, even with two slots cut. I don't care for them much. V2s and DCs also appear to be dry at the top but completely saturate with only two or three drops added or just a couple of cold pulls, whether I've been vaping 15 minutes or 5 hrs... So I'm very happy with my tank setup at 5V and 6V and I'm hoping to find that at 3.7V.

I was ready to order LR 510 Gold V2s last night but got curious when I ran across the LR Gold horizontal coil. If it has the same filler material as the V2 and if the only difference is the type of a coil and it's bottom position, it sounds like it could potentially be ideal for tanks... I don't know, I wish Isaac would chime in if he is the only one who knows all the details...

Thanks.

Vlad,

I hear you my good man! Try making the equipment you got work for you, vice trying to find the rainbow. We have had numerous chats on the subject, I do not need a perfect vape, but do have the savy to make a good vape better. I do not know if I am making sense here...

What are you missing, and how would YOU make it better is probably what I am heading towards. There is no magic answer out there, IMHO.

KNowing you do not like salad, then you are looking at a 3.)Ohm device at 5-6V. I say 5 because you would be surprised of what 5 can deliver. You saw me hold back a choke on 12mg, how is that possible? Perhaps you also need to look at the liquids ou vape rather than V all the time.

I remember in the beginning we had various conversations explaining the various components in a "satisfying" vape. I believe you need to go back to the basics vice saying bliss is acquired with watts. If, (strong if) you require watts to achive satisfaction wrt "the fix" you might want to consider an increase in nic.

Vaporologist

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2010
Epic Journey
I'm not sure we are on the same page here, Switched. Rainbows are out there and I like finding them :). I found a few different ones at 6V, at 5V, even at 3.7V, and many places in between. The only thing that's missing in my vaping arsenal right now is a rainbow inside a tank at 3.7V for a smaller MOD when on-the-go. I believe in first starting out with the equipment that's suited for me before making modifications for the one that's not for me in hopes that it will be. I'm simply trying to find out which LR carto would be the best for me theoretically based on what it's supposed to do in order to narrow down the field. Really, the 1.6 ohm Clearos sound like the ones but it's been mentioned that they are too wide to fit inside a tank. I'm not looking for a perfect vape at 3.7V, I don't think I'll ever find that based on what I'm looking for. But I do know that some setups give me more than others at that voltage.

Wingapo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2011
Taos, NM
I also dropped by this thread because I too would like to know about horizontal coil cartomizers Ikenvape's or the Kanger 510's. I'm just about completely tired of regular cartomizers they're great for about 3ml's then it's time to toss them, no matter how they are used. So my thoughts on the horizontal coils is that since the coil is at the bottom the filler can be replaced easier and hopefully the gunk build up can be burned off before repacking the filler, like with a CE2 an atty or rebuildable. So have you found anything new out about the horizontals since 9/14? I sure would like to know if you have.

Sincerely,
Wingapo

Vaporologist

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2010
Epic Journey
Funny you should ask that right now because I actually had a chance to try this carto today. After seeing my last post, a member "michaelcly" PMd me and offered to send me a couple of them. He refused to accept anything in return for them. A very nice person, to say the least... :thumb:

Well, my thoughts are that this specific carto is just not for me. I have found a couple of other ones I prefer more. It's really difficult to enjoy many cartos after being exposed to the Gold V2 cartos which are completely different.

Vaporologist

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2010
Epic Journey
Yea, Gold V2s are awesome for me at about 5V loaded. I find them too cool on a 3.7V mod and way too hot at 6V so I recommend either a VV device or one that's 5V fixed. I'll probably end up trying the newly arrived LR Gold V2s. I just hope they are warm enough for me on a 3.7V mod, being 2.0ohm... I've tried some 1.7 ohm cartos recently which are hitting the spot quite nicely at that voltage.

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
I also dropped by this thread because I too would like to know about horizontal coil cartomizers Ikenvape's or the Kanger 510's. I'm just about completely tired of regular cartomizers they're great for about 3ml's then it's time to toss them, no matter how they are used. So my thoughts on the horizontal coils is that since the coil is at the bottom the filler can be replaced easier and hopefully the gunk build up can be burned off before repacking the filler, like with a CE2 an atty or rebuildable. So have you found anything new out about the horizontals since 9/14? I sure would like to know if you have.

Sincerely,
Wingapo
There is a misconception out there that has spread like wild fire and in return have many a vaper frustrated - cartos are a disposable item, always were always will be. They were never intended to be refilled.

That being said... they can be refilled. The mileage out of a carto will vary amongst each user, but they do not last for ever.

Re-building a carto only sounds good on paper to be honest. One would need to acquire the proper batting and pack the carto to the proper density for it to wick properly.

I know folks do not like hearing this but, if a carto is worth $1.50 and you get 2-3 days + of vaping from one, then IMHO you got your moneys worth. That is $0.50/day compared to what we spent before.

So IMHO if one can get 2 days out of a carto and 1 month+ out of an atty, then the rest is gravy.

We all like the freshness and performance from a brand new atty and carto, then why do we subject ourselves to poor performance by re-cycling? It doesn't make any sense. I am frugal as the rest, but performance is more important than longevity (to an extent).

A point to ponder...

Once upon a time in the West- oops wrong story :lol: Once upon a time i used to vape my batteries to the low voltage cut off. These days I use IMRs and recharge my batteries way bafore they even come close to the LV threshold. It was something I didn't understand about IMRs or LifePo batts at the time. I became accustomed to the performance of IMRs and vape them to the middle of the plateau, then they hit the charger. I am not getting extended battery life between recharges, but I am getting top performance (why we use IMRs) and my batteries will last longer using them in this manner.

I used to smoke premium cigars, now in retrospect that was a waste of money - a $60 dollar Opus X = 1.25hrs :lol:

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
Would you believe that just like half the other times I go running to Ikenvape it's closed. This time they're going to Vapestock in Clearwater Florida until, get this, 6/16/11. A few months late it sounds like.

That was the only sign he could put up because he is switching servers.

The current server (the one shut down) was a total chaos and useless. I won't go into the details but suffice to say that not only was a server change needed, it was a must. IKV would not have survived on the old server. This job should have happened in June when things were quiet and the shelves were bare = perfect opportunity. Unfortunately for both Isaac an us, the handler promised to fix things only to really screw them up to the point that the site was totally useless for both the vendor and customers. There has been several reports and threads mentioning some of the problems, that was only the tip of the iceberg.

So let's allow Isaac some breathing room so he can make things right, which after all it is what he does best. IKV Where the goodness never stops!!!

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
Yea, Gold V2s are awesome for me at about 5V loaded. I find them too cool on a 3.7V mod and way too hot at 6V so I recommend either a VV device or one that's 5V fixed. I'll probably end up trying the newly arrived LR Gold V2s. I just hope they are warm enough for me on a 3.7V mod, being 2.0ohm... I've tried some 1.7 ohm cartos recently which are hitting the spot quite nicely at that voltage.

Something I was saying all along. I simply could not see how folks were enjoying them at 6V with 5-7 sec toots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread