RDA Im gonna beat my head against the wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ayloxs

Oct 29, 2014
Pennsylvania, USA
My 2 cents:
Magma works well with a single coil, and the smaller of the air holes are great for MTL, but keep the air inlet that's open pointing down while vaping (check which side that is by putting it on your mod BEFORE building ;)). That's necessary to keep the wick in the juice. You don't need to unscrew the top cap to fill though, just drip right in the center so it doesn't land in the air ports.

Magic Of Light

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Englewood Ohio
Ok I have gotten both the magma and narda in now. Between the two, the magma is much easier to build, and is much much more suited for mtl vaping. The narda "possibly because i use 30g" the airflow when closed down for a good mtl hit, when drawn slowly does not get enough airflow across the coil, and WRECKS your throat. The only option I see of remedying this, is covering one airhole with tape, and making the coil very close to one side so it gets proper air on it, but even then the air holes may be too big for a proper mtl like I am looking for. I will have to play around with it some more.

The magma does have a problem with condensation behind the afc ring. But one strip of cotton across the deck between the 2 cottons coming out of the coil, but not blocking the airflow has slowed that down to a serious crawl, havent had to clean it in a day cause of that. The narda is much harder to put the coil in, and you need to draw on it very hard to get airflow to the coil. For mtl, the magma is far and above the clear winner. It is possible with a possible 1 airhole ghetto rig I may be able to get the narda to perform for how i like to vape, we will see.

The Narda would probably be MUCH better if I had some 28g wire. I am using 30g so there is quite a gap between the airflow holes and the coil.

tl;dr Magma 1mm airflow for 1 coil>Narda 2 airholes closed alot. Narda will destroy your throat without pulling alot of air through it. Im using a high ohm coil on it. About 2.5ohm micro 2.5mm diameter. If you like a tight 1mm draw, Magma>Narda. Narda is more for lung hits with the big airflow channels.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrotherBob

Magic Of Light

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Englewood Ohio
Ok I have gotten both the magma and narda in now. Between the two, the magma is much easier to build, and is much much more suited for mtl vaping. The narda "possibly because i use 30g" the airflow when closed down for a good mtl hit, when drawn slowly does not get enough airflow across the coil, and WRECKS your throat. The only option I see of remedying this, is covering one airhole with tape, and making the coil very close to one side so it gets proper air on it, but even then the air holes may be too big for a proper mtl like I am looking for. I will have to play around with it some more.

The magma does have a problem with condensation behind the afc ring. But one strip of cotton across the deck between the 2 cottons coming out of the coil, but not blocking the airflow has slowed that down to a serious crawl, havent had to clean it in a day cause of that. The narda is much harder to put the coil in, and you need to draw on it very hard to get airflow to the coil. For mtl, the magma is far and above the clear winner. It is possible with a possible 1 airhole ghetto rig I may be able to get the narda to perform for how i like to vape, we will see.

The Narda would probably be MUCH better if I had some 28g wire. I am using 30g so there is quite a gap between the airflow holes and the coil.

tl;dr Magma 1mm airflow for 1 coil>Narda 2 airholes closed alot. Narda will destroy your throat without pulling alot of air through it. Im using a high ohm coil on it. About 2.5ohm micro 2.5mm diameter. If you like a tight 1mm draw, Magma>Narda. Narda is more for lung hits with the big airflow channels.

So after testing it with my ghetto fix. It works wonderfully. But the larger airflow channels get, the worse it will be for MTL vaping. The bigger diameter the airflow channel is, the less focused it is, which means if you are not a lung hitter you will get choked out. The Magma has the airflow holes and channels pretty much just right for MTL vaping. Narda has a bit too much airflow, but can be closed down to do 1 coil with 1 airflow hole ghetto like to make it a very good MTL also.

MTL is apparently a dead market. Ill be buying up all I can, because even things people recommend for MTL are ridiculously huge airflow monsters usually that just dont cut it for me.

Reactions: Woofer

Magic Of Light

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Englewood Ohio
There is one thing I would like to add here. And it is this. Protank 2/Magma/Narda/Boge LR carto...flavor difference between all of them is very very negligible. My Magma and Narda give me pretty much the same exact flavor as the protank 2, or boges I used to use. All this how is the flavor stuff, given the devices I have tried I can only say one thing. It all tastes about the same to me, maybe up to 5% less or more depending on the device/build. Not worth obsessing over.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Protank 2/Magma/Narda/Boge LR carto...flavor difference between all of them is very very negligible.
Allways thought this might be true.
Thanks for the follow up. Good information. On the Magma, I single coil and block off the extra bottom hole. I use 32 ga. Kanthal at 1.8 to 2.2 ohms - MTL. If your interested, I devised a way to keep the Magma middle ring fixed when removing the top.

Magic Of Light

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Englewood Ohio
Allways thought this might be true.
Thanks for the follow up. Good information. On the Magma, I single coil and block off the extra bottom hole. I use 32 ga. Kanthal at 1.8 to 2.2 ohms - MTL. If your interested, I devised a way to keep the Magma middle ring fixed when removing the top.
Very interested, that afc ring that keeps moving around is kind of a pain. The narda does seem to be doing much better since i used the leads in return instead of opposite, and put them about 1.5mm from one of the airholes, but the channels are just to wide for the air to hit it well. Narda is no good for a tight draw :(

Also, with the Magma, it has a single coil afc. Its the middle of the 3 sets that blocks off the other side.

Last edited:

CagedSpam

ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2015
FoPo, Oregon
Have a look at the Atomic RDA. Been using off and on for a few days.

18mm dia. single/double air, doesn't get super tight but acceptable for mtl at ohms reading 1.9 @ 7.5W. AFC does get tightened when you screw on final piece.

Pretty small deck, ended up wrapping the wick around the unused post. Top cap a little on the loose side.

Only running unflavored currently, so can't comment on flavor.

Haven't built on the magma yet.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Very interested
There is a red tube that extends the spray (approx.1/16 " in diameter that is inserted in the spray nozzle) when you buy WD 40 spray lubricant. I cut off a 1/8" (enough length to stop the ring from spinning/falling off if tipped upside down) or so length and then split it lengthwise with an Xacto blade. The tube will tend to open up slightly (expand in the air hole) when inserted into the one single coil air hole I'm using (the other air hole is plugged off). This red insert piece does three things:
Restricts the air flow perfectly (for me) to mimic a perfect (medium) draw.
Keeps the air flow ring frozen on the atty so when you unscrew the top, the afc ring stays in the same place.
Quiets the air flow (whistle) sound to near zero.
I use a safety pin to tease the red slit tube out if I want to clean out under the air collar ring.

Narda is no good for a tight draw
Sounds like the NarDa draw might be a problem because I like a medium draw not airy. Since both taste the same, I think I will look at a few other two post choices I have my eye on.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Have a look at the Atomic RDA. Been using off and on for a few days.

18mm dia. single/double air, doesn't get super tight but acceptable for mtl at ohms reading 1.9 @ 7.5W. AFC does get tightened when you screw on final piece.

Pretty small deck, ended up wrapping the wick around the unused post. Top cap a little on the loose side.

Only running unflavored currently, so can't comment on flavor.

Haven't built on the magma yet.
Thanks for the input. I have a 3 post RDA and it has good flavor. 3 post tend to squeeze the build room for a single coil for me- no thank you.
Magma builds are among the easiest.

Magic Of Light

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Englewood Ohio
Heck yeah Magma is easy. The only real problems i have with it, is how far the airholes come near the center, making it harder to drip. And the whole afc condensation problem. Still a fantastic rda, worth buying for anyone. The Narda is great too, love how its so compact, but the afc being on both sides means use tape, or use big wire so there isnt alot of space between air flow and coil. The Narda is still also a pretty great rda. I would have liked to try a Snapdragon, but the reverse threading thing it uses, as well as many complaints I read about the posts spinning really turned me off trying that one.

24 hours later**

I have spent alot more time with the Narda now, and I can safely say out of the two, it is the one I will use more. Its harder to build on, but the compact size and 0 leakage make it the clear winner in my book. Its much easier to drip on too. I use 30 gauge wire so my coils are quite far away from the air holes if I put it where it should be, but a larger wire may fix that, i cant test since I only have 30g. But even with the 30g and having to tape over one air hole, the 0 leaks with the same flavor make it the winner in my book.

I was kind of overcritical of it at first, but not having to open it up after 24 hours and clean off all the stuff that gets through is more than worth the trade off. My first 24 hours with the magma I bet I cleaned about 10+ drops of condensation off the top cap and in the afc area. Thats wasteful, the Narda doesnt have that issue. Its cheaper, its not as thick so its lighter, its shorter and is much more simple. The Magma is still great in its own right because of how easy it is to build, but its shortcomings are many, and alot more severe than the Narda. Despite having to tape one hole, the Narda is gonna be my go to dripper, I need to buy some more of them :D I hope this helps.

Also want to add on both, the threads are buttery smooth, and none of them came with any oil on them. Both great RDAs.

Reactions: BrotherBob

Magic Of Light

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Englewood Ohio
Ok so now im worried about my Nic base. I placed the order like 12 hours ago and its already sent the email that is is being shipped with the tracking #. I have never EVER received base that fast from any of the 3 companies I have used before. I think they may be making it before orders come in for it :mad:

Magic Of Light

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Englewood Ohio
With demand likely the highest ever, I expect a number of suppliers are bottling as much base as possible to stay ahead of orders.

This is the first time I recall any vaper concerned about an order being filled too fast!:D
Yeah, its never ever in like 4 years of vaping been shipped out the day I ordered it. Usually takes 5-7 days. This is a different company this time than I have used in the past though, but still, it makes me uneasy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread