Im newish to vaping :3

Status
Not open for further replies.

gafoob

Feb 26, 2014
Texas, USA
Hello, I just started learning and understanding the basics of mech mods and APV mods, I would like to verify some information that I have. I have been learning this stuff for about 5 days solid and I have only owned a pen style e-cig. NOTE: I do not smoke, I use 0-nicotine, but I do enjoy the art of vaping :3 I feel I have done my research and I have gone out ahead and gotten myself an EhPro Nzonic (Black edition) and a Sony VCT4 as my battery. I have yet to decide on my RBA. There are is an example I would like to show to ask some questions first.

1. If i have the Sony VCT4 which has a 30amp limit at 4.2V on a fresh charge. With a .25 sub ohm coil on (no specific RBA, but lets pretend its the Kayfun Lite CLONE) this would mean if I used my mech mod without a kick2 or any regulation device, I would be vaping at a safe 16.8amp level which is just about half the amps of the batteries limit. is this going to explode or do anything bad to my battery besides drain the life out of it and potentially ruin its lifespan? What all are my risks? I have seen different charts, one saying if I use that Sony VCT4 with a .25 ohm coil I am vaping at unsafe levels. Another chart showing the same battery says it is safe at .20 ohms. I have researched and I feel I fully understand ohms law and the generals of it and having to do with my battery. So that is my question, am I correct? Is this okay to do with my knowledge and understanding? What are my risks at these levels? how many amps would you go to stay in a safe range of amps on the VCT4?

2. I am looking for a good RBA to use that is shorter than the kayfun and something that does not directly look like the kayfun. If anyone has good RBA suggestions, please post them! I have yet to find them, so I joined the forums to ask around :3 also, I would prefer something cheap in cost, clones are okay as long as they are 1:1 and trusted. (my range maxes out at $60)

3. Where is the best place to buy flavors for making my own e-juices and what cotton should I get specifically. What brand cotton, I understand it needs to be %100 cotton, where is the best place to purchase, ect.

JaxMike

ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2014
Jacksonville FL
"If i have the Sony VCT4 which has a 30amp limit at 4.2V on a fresh charge. With a .25 sub ohm coil on (no specific RBA, but lets pretend its the Kayfun Lite CLONE) this would mean if I used my mech mod without a kick2 or any regulation device, I would be vaping at a safe 16.8amp level which is just about half the amps of the batteries limit. is this going to explode or do anything bad to my battery besides drain the life out of it and potentially ruin its lifespan?"

Boy, if I had a nickel for every time a newbie has asked that question. :laugh:

(just kidding... no idea from me, but welcome to the forum)

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Hello, I just started learning and understanding the basics of mech mods and APV mods, I would like to verify some information that I have. I have been learning this stuff for about 5 days solid and I have only owned a pen style e-cig. NOTE: I do not smoke, I use 0-nicotine, but I do enjoy the art of vaping :3 I feel I have done my research and I have gone out ahead and gotten myself an EhPro Nzonic (Black edition) and a Sony VCT4 as my battery. I have yet to decide on my RBA. There are is an example I would like to show to ask some questions first.

1. If i have the Sony VCT4 which has a 30amp limit at 4.2V on a fresh charge. With a .25 sub ohm coil on (no specific RBA, but lets pretend its the Kayfun Lite CLONE) this would mean if I used my mech mod without a kick2 or any regulation device, I would be vaping at a safe 16.8amp level which is just about half the amps of the batteries limit. is this going to explode or do anything bad to my battery besides drain the life out of it and potentially ruin its lifespan? What all are my risks? I have seen different charts, one saying if I use that Sony VCT4 with a .25 ohm coil I am vaping at unsafe levels. Another chart showing the same battery says it is safe at .20 ohms. I have researched and I feel I fully understand ohms law and the generals of it and having to do with my battery. So that is my question, am I correct? Is this okay to do with my knowledge and understanding? What are my risks at these levels? how many amps would you go to stay in a safe range of amps on the VCT4?

2. I am looking for a good RBA to use that is shorter than the kayfun and something that does not directly look like the kayfun. If anyone has good RBA suggestions, please post them! I have yet to find them, so I joined the forums to ask around :3 also, I would prefer something cheap in cost, clones are okay as long as they are 1:1 and trusted. (my range maxes out at $60)

3. Where is the best place to buy flavors for making my own e-juices and what cotton should I get specifically. What brand cotton, I understand it needs to be %100 cotton, where is the best place to purchase, ect.

This is your first post.
This is the new members forum.
I would not qualify 16 amps held in your hand up to your face as "safe", and worse yet if it comes from a battery in a tube in your hand.
For a battery with a 30 amp limit, I would call 3 amps (10%) as "safe"; 20% as "safe enough"; 40% as "concerning"; and anything over 50% as potentially risky.

If you want to stay in the safe zone, stay above 1 ohm. Once you go below 1 ohm, don't convince yourself you are 'safe'.

And if you want safe, aviod cheap; and keep that fire extinguisher handy.

nicholasv00

Verified Member
Jan 30, 2014
Nash County NC
1. In my experience and from the charts I have seen you are safe using the VCT4 at that level. The chart I have shows that at 30-40 amps you are safe to have a constant pull on it for <80 seconds. Which if you can pull a lung hit that lasts that long more power to ya! But yes you should be well in the safe zone at 16 amps. I have seen a guy running .077 ohms at 152 amps and he is still alive with all his fingers and his face.

2. As far as an "RBA" the only style I have seen would be a genesis style.. I don't know of any tank style RBA's other than the Kayfun

3. I'm not sure about the best place to buy flavors but I got my "100% organic cotton" at a local CVS.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
1. In my experience and from the charts I have seen you are safe using the VCT4 at that level. The chart I have shows that at 30-40 amps you are safe to have a constant pull on it for <80 seconds. Which if you can pull a lung hit that lasts that long more power to ya! But yes you should be well in the safe zone at 16 amps. I have seen a guy running .077 ohms at 152 amps and he is still alive with all his fingers and his face.

2. As far as an "RBA" the only style I have seen would be a genesis style.. I don't know of any tank style RBA's other than the Kayfun

3. I'm not sure about the best place to buy flavors but I got my "100% organic cotton" at a local CVS.

? is there a word missing there?
The genesis type is a topcoil with vertical wick extending downward into the tank.
The kayfun type is a bottom coil

nicholasv00

Verified Member
Jan 30, 2014
Nash County NC
? is there a word missing there?
The genesis type is a topcoil with vertical wick extending downward into the tank.
The kayfun type is a bottom coil

I probably could have worded that better. :facepalm:

I meant I dont really know of any other RBA's that are similar to the Kayfun.. The closest thing I have seen would be the genesis style

which the genesis style rba is still worlds apart from the kayfun..

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
I probably could have worded that better. :facepalm:

I meant I dont really know of any other RBA's that are similar to the Kayfun.. The closest thing I have seen would be the genesis style

which the genesis style rba is still worlds apart from the kayfun..

the fogger and the aqua are also bottom coil.

gafoob

Feb 26, 2014
Texas, USA

Great to know that about my amp safety. Some people have always said for "newbies" not to vape outside of the trusted charts. Now I understand that the charts are made for those who dont actually do their research completely. I have come to understand a vast amount of things in the past 5 days. I have learned many different style mods, capabilities, what PG/VG can do, its side effects. and how coils are made, what they do, how certain builds do what and why, and overall how everything comes together.

I am not a fan of the genesis style personally, I saw it once and I said no because of its top coil build. People highly tout that kayfun and its capabilities, but I was hoping for something shorter and not the kayfun. If need be, I will just get the kayfun with the nano kit. All money I dont want to completely spend.

I read and have been told most people buy their cotton at their local CVS. Someone I know uses a different kind of cotton and he started making his own flavors. We tried Root Beer and Monster Engergy. Both which tasted terrible. I wanted to find out if it was the cotton he used. I might have found by vaping those exact flavors at a shop today, that he didnt do bad at all actually. I still wanted to get a new cotton though.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I hate seeing these kinds of posts in the New Members Forum and they make me cringe. :unsure:

Why start out as a new vaper and plan to use sub-ohm coil builds right out of the box? What's your rationale if I may ask? 0.2 ohm is just 0.2 ohm from a dead short. I don't care what battery you use or how many amps it has, it will blow if it hard shorts. Have you seen what a battery in thermal runaway looks like and the potential damage it can do? Is this something you want happening next to your face?

IMR_battery_post-venting.jpg battery_fire.jpg battery_failure.jpg Trustfire2.jpg

Please consider building 1.0 ohm coils initially until you have perfected your rebuilding skills. Baby steps. Don't jump into the deep end until you've learned to swim. A lot of things can go wrong if you don't have the practical knowledge and experience when you use a mechanical mod with no or little protection.

Cloud Chasing is Dangerous

How is Sub-Ohm Vaping Dangerous?

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/rebuildable-atomizer-systems/465483-sub-ohm-vaping-discussion-safety-battery-info-warnings.html

Last edited:

gafoob

Feb 26, 2014
Texas, USA
This is your first post.
This is the new members forum.
I would not qualify 16 amps held in your hand up to your face as "safe", and worse yet if it comes from a battery in a tube in your hand.
For a battery with a 30 amp limit, I would call 3 amps (10%) as "safe"; 20% as "safe enough"; 40% as "concerning"; and anything over 50% as potentially risky.

If you want to stay in the safe zone, stay above 1 ohm. Once you go below 1 ohm, don't convince yourself you are 'safe'.

And if you want safe, aviod cheap; and keep that fire extinguisher handy.

I just would like to understand the possibilities. I do not however plan to be making sub ohm coils as of now. I am fresh to making my own coils, so in the aspect of understanding how they taste and feel, I have yet to experience. I will be making my own coils at varius ohms and testing the volts with those coils aswell as trying with my kick2. From my understanding though, with a kick2, you can go sub-ohm while still pulling very few amps and volts, so its safe. The volts will kick my watts up really high, I just would like to reach 30 watts with my 4.2V battery raw power. That means my coil would be a .59 (or a .6) resistor to reach that. anything lower than that is bouncing my wattage probably higher than I will ever want/need. So i will be safe in that aspect while im in the learning phase of coil building.

I appreiciate the help aswell :) now as far as "cheap" what do you mean, as far as I know, if your not buying a silver plated mech mod with copper contact, your going a bit cheap, if your buying an RBA from fasttech for $10 your going cheap. this is why my price range is $60. that seems to be a good price to buy any 1:1 good name clone that is not considered 'cheap'.

Last edited:

gafoob

Feb 26, 2014
Texas, USA
I hate seeing these kinds of posts in the New Members Forum and they make me cringe. :unsure:

Why start out as a new vaper and plan to use sub-ohm coil builds right out of the box? What's your rationale if I may ask? 0.2 ohm is just 0.2 ohm from a dead short. I don't care what battery you use or how many amps it has, it will blow if it hard shorts. Have you seen what a battery in thermal runaway looks like and the potential damage it can do? Is this something you want happening next to your face?

View attachment 309882 View attachment 309883 View attachment 309884 View attachment 309885

Please consider building 1.0 ohm coils initially until you have perfected your rebuilding skills. Baby steps. Don't jump into the deep end until you've learned to swim. A lot of things can go wrong if you don't have the knowledge and experience when you use a mechanical mod with no or little protection.

please read my post made seconds apart from yours :3

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
please read my post made seconds apart from yours :3
When I initially read your first post, it literally was your "first post" on this forum. You said you were "newish" to vaping. We veterans can only go by what you actually tell us about yourself.. We see far too many people new to the forum who have no knowledge of safe vaping of rebuildables, therefore our first response is, and should always be, "safety first". :)

Wicked & Coiled

ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2014
Stratford, NJ

View attachment 309882 View attachment 309883 View attachment 309884 View attachment 309885

Please consider building 1.0 ohm coils initially until you have perfected your rebuilding skills. Baby steps. Don't jump into the deep end until you've learned to swim. A lot of things can go wrong if you don't have the practical knowledge and experience when you use a mechanical mod with no or little protection.

Cloud Chasing is Dangerous

How is Sub-Ohm Vaping Dangerous?

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/rebuildable-atomizer-systems/465483-sub-ohm-vaping-discussion-safety-battery-info-warnings.html

+1 on the cringe.

Another "newbie" looking to go straight to a .2 Ohm? Again? Why would any "newbie" need that much heat? What does it serve? Don't tell me you need the throat hit.

There seems to be this morbid fascination that runs parallel to the "Import Tuner Crowd". Those younger folks whom, on the same day they get their driver's license, want to load their '98 Honda Civics with a hundred-shot of Nitrous.

As I was leaving a local B&M last week, I was passed on the way out by a group of around 7-8 vociferous 18 year-olds. It occurred to me that, if nothing else, it is THAT very sight of GROUPS OF KIDS entering vape shops which will serve to have E-Cigs banned/regulated by it's political opposition.

Seems that all this brings is negative attention, and an air of exotic danger to a practice many of us have started to SAVE OUR LIVES from deadly Cancers. Not because, for some sick reason, it has become en vogue in the halls of certain high-schools, or carrying a mod around is some sick, new "fashion accessory".

I started smoking at 16. Smoked for 20+ years over 2 packs/day. I understand it's "fun" to blow vapor around. I just don't get this dangerous trend that's going to be the impetus behind e-cigs being banned, and/or making CASAA's job ten times harder after some kid blows his face off with an unvented mech mod and a Trustfire 18650 pushing 22A on a battery that can't handle it.

Get an eGo Twist and an iClear 16 w/ a 2.1 Ohm coil, and load it up with your Zero-Nic flavor, and blow your vapor. Enjoy.

WHY must the envelope of safety be pushed to the limit? Will you be entering these nonsensical "cloud-chasing" competitions? (another stumbling block for CASAA, and a smear on vapers as a whole). Why are people who don't even own an RDA looking up max discharge limits? Why?

Take your time. Work your way there. Have you ever felt the heat from a .2 build? Do you know what that does to your juice? It fries it. The guys who run .2 do it solely for clouds and with straight VG. Ugh.

My .02
I digress.

rhean

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2013
Madison, Wisconsin

1. If you're just starting out, .20 ohms is not a good idea, as there's no wiggle room for a mistake there. Start with higher resistances, get used to building your coils and wicks, THEN go subohm. Coiling materials are tiny, fiddly, fragile. Your first few coils might have all manner of booboos.

2. There are plenty of drippers in that range, but obv those aren't rbas. People also mention Taifuns and Squape, all of which have been cloned and in that range. Research this forum.

3. For flavors, try Lorann, Flavor Apprentice, and Mount Baker. The vg/pg can be bought online or from a pharmacy.
Wicking is a matter of choice. I use organic cotton balls. Others use Peaches&Cream ecru yarn. Some people recommend cotton gauze. Others like silica. I've heard of people using hemp and bamboo yarn. Trial and error :)

gafoob

Feb 26, 2014
Texas, USA
Let me restate my earlier posts. I am only curious of the potential. I am a non smoker so a big throat hit is not much of my thing. I know just regular ohm coils will satisfy me and I have no plans to go into sub ohms. Please read my posts. If I find myself looking to go aub ohm, I will make sure I understand what I am getting into because I honestly do not know the full power of sub ohms. So its not worth trying right now. I am not diving in head first on this. I am a fairly smart person when it comes to these things.

Last edited:

gafoob

Feb 26, 2014
Texas, USA
+1 on the cringe.

Another "newbie" looking to go straight to a .2 Ohm? Again? Why would any "newbie" need that much heat? What does it serve? Don't tell me you need the throat hit.

There seems to be this morbid fascination that runs parallel to the "Import Tuner Crowd". Those younger folks whom, on the same day they get their driver's license, want to load their '98 Honda Civics with a hundred-shot of Nitrous.

As I was leaving a local B&M last week, I was passed on the way out by a group of around 7-8 vociferous 18 year-olds. It occurred to me that, if nothing else, it is THAT very sight of GROUPS OF KIDS entering vape shops which will serve to have E-Cigs banned/regulated by it's political opposition.

Seems that all this brings is negative attention, and an air of exotic danger to a practice many of us have started to SAVE OUR LIVES from deadly Cancers. Not because, for some sick reason, it has become en vogue in the halls of certain high-schools, or carrying a mod around is some sick, new "fashion accessory".

I started smoking at 16. Smoked for 20+ years over 2 packs/day. I understand it's "fun" to blow vapor around. I just don't get this dangerous trend that's going to be the impetus behind e-cigs being banned, and/or making CASAA's job ten times harder after some kid blows his face off with an unvented mech mod and a Trustfire 18650 pushing 22A on a battery that can't handle it.

Get an eGo Twist and an iClear 16 w/ a 2.1 Ohm coil, and load it up with your Zero-Nic flavor, and blow your vapor. Enjoy.

WHY must the envelope of safety be pushed to the limit? Will you be entering these nonsensical "cloud-chasing" competitions? (another stumbling block for CASAA, and a smear on vapers as a whole). Why are people who don't even own an RDA looking up max discharge limits? Why?

Take your time. Work your way there. Have you ever felt the heat from a .2 build? Do you know what that does to your juice? It fries it. The guys who run .2 do it solely for clouds and with straight VG. Ugh.

My .02
I digress.

I find this be offensive, I am not your stupid kid who takes risks and does stupid things to look cool. I have done a big part of research to find out my information, as far as I know, dumb people dont do kuch research, they only do enought to get by. I have read sub ohms are hot and sub ohms are dangerious. Especially a .2 dear god. I used it mearly as an example. So lets put my example at a .5 ohms okay? I must ask, am i dumb for having knowledge of how to build a coil, have battery safety and knowledge of how ohms law works with them batteries, how to get a coil to certain ohms, what vg/pg is and its effects on the body, what product to buy as far as quality and much more? I believe that to be false. I came here to get knowledge. Not get bashed for having curious questions. Questions only, which I stated these are only examples and not something plan on doing, again, I stated this in a previous post. I appreciate people who are concerned, but not people who are insinuating im a kid who does things you dont seem like. And when I got my first car, I was actually excited it had an engine, everyone always bragged about their cars vs my 4 cylinder saying my car was stupid, yes I would like to have a sports car, but its not smart to jump into a seat of a car you dont understand or can handle. Start small, I understand.

Sorry I did not take time to review my post so excuse me for improper grammar and paragraphing :S gotta get back in to work

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Welcome to ECF, gafoob.

You're past the 5 post count and are no longer restricted to the New Members Forum.

For questions about high powered vaping, sub ohming and such advanced topics, please see the Rebuildables forum and the batteries forums.

Rebuildable Atomizer Systems
Batteries and Chargers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread