Important for the campaign?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
Katink, Nicfits has posted some new Ruyan study information - http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...092-e-cig-safety-confirmed-medical-study.html

It looks like the reason they are claiming 300 puffs per ml is because they are counting 35ml puffs which I think is not typical of vaping behaviour. I might be wrong but I thought I saw somewhere that 65ml draws were more likely (this is from a very hazy memory and I can't remember why I think this).

http://www.healthnz.co.nz/DublinBenchtopHandout.pdf

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
Yes, there have been a few overdose stories and I can remember two or three that ended up going to hospital where they were diagnosed with nic overdose. It's early days yet so these stories are just anecdotes. They should be a warning of the possibility of overdose, especially when we know so little about how much nic we're getting.

There are some stories linked in this thread - http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/health-safety-e-smoking/3598-nicotine-safety.html

This is the first serious sounding one I came across - http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/general-e-smoking-discussion/3579-worst-headache-my-life.html

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
http://www.healthnz.co.nz/DublinBenchtopHandout.pdf

I did find it interesting that they attempted two different variations of the puffs as well... 35ml and 50ml puffs.

Quote from above link:

"Nicotine delivery per puff A 35 mL puff from the
Ruyan® V8 delivers only 10% of the nicotine
obtained from a similar puff of a Marlboro regular
cigarette. Deeper 50 mL puffs from the Ruyan V8
delivers only slightly more nicotine."

Also what is interesting:

"Nicotine dose (Figure 2) An e-cigarette user will
need to take more puffs more often, and deeper
puffs confer no advantage for V8 users. Six puffs
every 5 minutes would deliver the same dose of
nicotine delivered by shallow inhaling (10 puffs of
35 mL per puff) from one tobacco cigarette every
hour, but would not achieve the high immediate
nicotine boost which many smokers crave.
Nicotine overdose is unlikely, even though
nicotine delivery may vary between brands."

Aren't they saying then that for every 10 puffs off of a cigarette you can take 72 puffs off of a PV? I think I will keep my ecig. I can smoke more and get the same. (minus the 70 things that I am not getting from a PV that I would get from tobacco):thumb: I think it's (my ecig) a keeper!

katink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2008
the Netherlands
Looking into your link Kate, thanks!

@Lacey: If a ruyan V8 works as it should, it has a (quick) cut-off, followed by quite a prolonged pause before it can be used again - pretty much forcing a 'decent smoker' to use two at the same time...
I would think that this would result in a different result for our 'ordinary' e-cigs without cut-off (not talking about the 'one-puff measure with given ml intake' of course here... but about how it would work in daily practice)

katink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2008
the Netherlands
Kinabaloo - I have only had 'discarded V8's' so I can only go from those plus what I have read about them. They do have heater coils (look a lot like the other ones we are all using). But it does stay pretty cool, and this is, as far as I understand it, because they have some chips in the device that are a bit more sophisticated then what is in most other devices. I think, but that is just me thinking and not knowledge, that they have chosen such a short cut-off time plus a considerable pause after that, to simply make it impossible to heat up very far (plus it then cools off before a next hit can be taken).

Next to this, there is one more thing that I myself have not seen in mine, but that is said to be in Ruyan-products 'when working as it should'... and that's a small thin 'blade' of metal, that somehow has to do with frequency... and that's all I know on that, so for that I am absolutely no help, sorry!

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
@Lacey: If a ruyan V8 works as it should, it has a (quick) cut-off, followed by quite a prolonged pause before it can be used again - pretty much forcing a 'decent smoker' to use two at the same time...
I would think that this would result in a different result for our 'ordinary' e-cigs without cut-off (not talking about the 'one-puff measure with given ml intake' of course here... but about how it would work in daily practice)

Interesting to note. I personally have not used the V8 so I did not know there was a governor. However, the use of a governor in their product leads me to believe (with some other hints I have picked up along the way) that they are on the road towards getting the Ruyan products approved as pharmaceuticals... which right now, who knows how that fairs for them. But being in the industry, if my hunch on them is correct, at least all paths are being followed so consumers can have an ecig in their hands without a lapse in time. Ah the mystery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread