Inconsistency with juices/DC clearomizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeatboxHero

ECF Veteran
Jul 26, 2013
utah
So here goes my first post. Been reading the forums here for a while now and figured it was time to get some of my own answers. So here is the situation.

I am getting some inconsistency with my set up. I have a eGo-V V2 Mega. For those of you unfamiliar with it, its a variable voltage 1200 mah battery and a 2.5 amp safety cut off. I know its lower end and I will need to upgrading to a new mod soon to get what I am looking for. But for now, it works and does what it advertises. Getting the ability to vary my voltage lead me to buy the iClear 30 DC 2.1 ohm clearomizer yesterday. I love the iClear so far! Getting the iClear proved to me just how much my set up can improve flavors and how much vape I get. Took me a second to figure out my watts and find the sweet spot today but once I did it was blowing me away! Tons of smoke and lots of flavor. Now here is where I am confused. I currently have 2 juices that I have been enjoying. One is a 80% PG/20% VG (marked on the bottle) 24 mg/ml vanilla flavor and the other (from a different store) is a "100% PG" 18 mg/ml blueberry flavor. Now here is part of the problem, I am not certain about the mixture of the blueberry juice. They don't have a label to verify so I am uncertain but the manager at the store was fairly certain it was all PG. But since she wasn't completely certain we can assume it may not be.

I was smoking the blueberry at work all day today and loving it. Lots of smoke and I could tell that the DC clearomizer made the juice burn a lot cooler which I kind of liked. No cotton mouth at all. When I got home I switched to vanilla in the iClear and puffed on it for a while. I have noticed that I am getting less smoke. Still good vape. But noticeably less. Also, I noticed that the vanila seems to burn warmer. Still cooler then a single coil but warmer then the blueberry. But the big problem is I am getting next to no throat hit when smoking either of the juices.

So my question boils down to this. I know my voltage/wattage is correct for the DC I am running. Yes I did the math! I am getting a great flavor and decent smoke but no throat hit. Why!? Could this be because of the DC? Or is there something I am overlooking? Maybe the girl lied to me about the PG base of the blueberry juice but I should at least be getting a decent throat hit from the 80/20 vanilla juice right? Or do you think maybe the issue is my eGo is too inconsistent? Any ideas will help :) Thanks in advance!

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
There really isn't a 'correct' V / W setting to vape any particular juice or device, that is why variable V/W devices are variable.
You adjust power up or down to suit your individual preferences.

Different juice flavors & pg/vg ratios may require power adjustments to find the vape quality you're looking for.

As far as little to no throat hit I don't have an answer, using 18 ~ 24mg nic you should be getting good TH.
I'd try turning up the power until you get a very slight burnt taste then turn it down a little.

Last edited:

BeatboxHero

ECF Veteran
Jul 26, 2013
utah
Let me rephrase. There is preferences. I understand that. But there is a "sweet spot" that most vapers fall within. Vaping within "the sweet spot" and using that blend should yield some throat hit. That's a fact as far as "the science of vaping" is concerned.

Also, I am vaping at around 5.5-6 volts which is giving me somewhere between 7-9 watts over the 2.1 ohm DC clearomizer. At that voltage it should be on the harsher end of what most vapers prefer. I think we can at least agree on that. I guess I'm curious if its my eGo or the DC clearomizer that is making it less harsh then I am expecting. Even though there are a lot of variables. Those are the only things that have changed.

Last edited:

K-Woodz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Huntington Beach CA
I have about 20 juices, varied ratios of vg and pg. all 6mg, all with completely different throat hits on the same device. Some are so harsh I don't vape them anymore, while some are so smooth you can't feel anything.

Caterpillar juice, for instance, is 100%vg and some of the harshest juice I have. I also have a 100% pg blueberry juice from liberty flights with no throat hit at all.

And btw, if you plan on asking for anymore advice that nobody here owes you, you might try being a little nicer to someone who is trying to help, wether they do or not.

Ragenowski

Jun 6, 2013
TEXAS
I have a standard eGo 900mAh battery and use 3 or 4 different juices with it....What I've noticed is that every juice I have gives a great TH on the first 1/2 clearo (Kanger MT3) and then starts on a downhill spiral after that and never really gets the TH back to where it was except for the first 1 or 2 hits after a re-fill or a new coil when the old one quits on me. What I've learned over my @ 3 months of vaping is that all I have to do to keep a good TH is to find a couple of favorite juices and refill my tank with a different juice each time. For whatever reason, when I do that I get a better vape, and a better TH for at least as long as that tank lasts.

I just haven't been able to pull the trigger on a halfway decent mod yet....And I don't want to go half assed. For me, the mod you have is about $70 and I just can't spend the green stamps on one of those when I could spend another 50 bucks and get a much better mod. So until I've got the $$$ to spare I'll be using my two simple little plain jane ego batteries.....

pamdis

ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2013
IL
I am using a 1000mah ego twist with iclear16's. As the day wears on, performance diminishes. I have determined it is because the battery is running down. I have several twists, so when it starts to under-perform (usually only about 1/2 way discharged), I take the same tank and put on a fully charged battery, and it's perfect. So this is the one and only reason I am going to buy a provari - it is supposed to give the same performance on an almost dead battery as it does on a full battery. Love the iclears, so when I upgrade I will switch to iclear 30.

BeatboxHero

ECF Veteran
Jul 26, 2013
utah
Ragenowski:10205384 said:
I just haven't been able to pull the trigger on a halfway decent mod yet....And I don't want to go half assed. For me, the mod you have is about $70 and I just can't spend the green stamps on one of those when I could spend another 50 bucks and get a much better mod. So until I've got the $$$ to spare I'll be using my two simple little plain jane ego batteries.....

I totally get what you mean. I found my eGo-V V2 priced at $40 and the iClear at $20. Now that I am looking for a new mod I wish I would have put that $60 towards a pricey one that I wanted to keep! :) But there is always next pay check haha.

BeatboxHero

ECF Veteran
Jul 26, 2013
utah
pamdis:10205422 said:
Love the iclears, so when I upgrade I will switch to iclear 30.

I highly recommend it! I know a few people have had them leak. But they are very well made and as long as you take care of it, it seems like they will last. Plus I'm seriously shocked at how much better the DC vapes! Serious boost in flavor and smoke production.

K-Woodz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Huntington Beach CA
I apologize for not catching the sarcasm.

I use an iclear 30 on an MVP for my "beater" mod. The performance is smooth and perfect all day as opposed to my mech with a dripper on it. That's why I like it. The MVP delivers smooth power throughout the drain of the battery as far as I can tell. Def NOT the experience I had with ego batts (or my mech for that matter)

There's something to be said about being able to pick up a mod at any time and get a nice rip without screwing with the voltage. With ego batts I was constantly twisting that dial to try and find a sweet spot throughout the day.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Because dual coil's are wired in parallel they share / split the power you're trying to heat them with.
In other words if you use 7 ~ 9 watts to power a DC each coil receives 3.5 ~ 4.5 watts to heat / vaporize the liquid.
For my preferences that's gonna be a fairly cool/ low throat hit/weak vape.

Turn up the power.

Last edited:

K-Woodz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Huntington Beach CA
Because dual coil's are wired in parallel they share / split the power you're trying to heat them with.
In other words if you use 7 ~ 9 watts to power a DC each coil receives 3.5 ~ 4.5 watts to heat / vaporize the liquid.
For my preferences that's gonna be a fairly cool/ low throat hit/weak vape.

Turn up the power.

Yeah, I vape the iclear 30 at 4.5-5 volts.

glowplug

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2013
Lakewood, CO USA
All day vaping at work and then noticing a difference once you got home? Did I read that correctly? I am suffering from lousy vape quality right now. I have been alternating between my three batteries all day depending on what I wanted to taste. Now, all three batteries are lower in charge and just ain't putting out the power they were this morning. I usually have a freshly charged battery on hand for the moment this happens, but alas, I was too busy working to worry about charging! Dang it all anyway!

I have an eGo pass through coming in the mail for these frustrating moments. Also have a ZMax on the way. I think I will be happier once I can go back to VV/VW. Couldn't resist the pass through. At $9.99 it was too good to pass up even if it is a 650 mAh. I hate weak vapor and taste when I need a good strong vape the most!

Anywho, I was just pointing out that your battery could be a bit tired by the end of day and just not cutting the mustard like it was this morning.

BeatboxHero

ECF Veteran
Jul 26, 2013
utah
Topwater Elvis:10205808 said:
Turn up the power.

Well correct me if I am wrong. This is how I was told it works. You take the voltage squared (5.5 squared = 30.25) and divide it by the "total" (since its parallel that would be 4.2) ohms of the coil (30.25/4.2 = 7.2) to get the watts. So 5.5 to 6 volts should be putting out 7.2 to 9ish watts. But what you are saying is that those watts get divided between the two coils so I would need to go higher then 6!? Do they even make mods that go higher then 6 volts? I have heard they have mods that have a setting for DC's so you can get your wattage right.

If my math is off then I was lied too by the interweb! Wouldn't be the first time that happened though haha. I honestly do think my volts are off but mostly because my mod is cheapish and isn't displaying the true volts :( I'm vaping right now on one bar of battery and performance is dismal. I really want a mod that is going to have both VV and VW as well as an ohm reader to tell me what I'm honestly burning at. Not that it really matters that I see all that stuff. I just gotta have the newest best stuff haha! :cool: And my hunt for better juice has already begun!

Last edited:

BeatboxHero

ECF Veteran
Jul 26, 2013
utah
glowplug:10205909 said:
Anywho, I was just pointing out that your battery could be a bit tired by the end of day and just not cutting the mustard like it was this morning.

Oh I don't doubt it! But even after work I was only at half battery. You really think that it would be THAT inconsistent? I mean I figured 1/3 or a 1/4 battery would be noticeable. But not half :( Guess I should focus on getting a reliable mod before I ask these kinda things haha :)

K-Woodz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Huntington Beach CA
I had no idea they made mods that strong haha. I thought most topped out at around 15 watts :confused:

You know the math! Figure out what a .4 ohm coil running at around 3.3-4.2 volts is. (the output of most batteries used in mechs. 4.2 at full power, 3.7 through most of the life, and about 3.5 under load.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread