• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Informational Brochure Idea...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RollandOfGilead

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2012
Kingston, On, Canada
I have attached a copy of a brochure I put together with some information I quickly gathered from the web, the idea is to give these to people who are asking me questions about vaping. I just print a few off and keep 'em handy just in case.

Pg 1 is the back and front and pg 2 is the insides...Feel free to print these off yourself if you want to do the same. If you would like me to send you a HighRez PDF via email just PM me.

I really wanted to post it on here to get some feedback, what do you guys/gals think of the idea? any suggestions for improvement? Keep in mind I just want it be a brochure not a book...lol.

Attachments

• Ecig brochure-1.pdf
    90.8 KB · Views: 54
  • Ecig brochure 2.pdf
    143 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

farmer_bric

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2011
Maberly, ON
Good approach Rolland, to be proactive - as the saying goes, 'vape Proud' :)

Imo, seems a little complicated. I have personally found, that whenever anyone questions, or suggests than I am smoking, I ask them with a smile "Do you smell any smoke?". After their brow crinkles and they look confused, I just tell them that it is nothing more than an inhaler that I use. It has a little battery in it that heats the liquid up and turns it into a vapour, just like a smoke machine at a rock concert :) If they are happy with that, I leave it. If they show any interest or whatnot, then I explain about the nicotine in the liquid and how it stops me from smoking ...."

Glad to see that you are a vapor now :)

Smile n' shine

ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2012
Canada
Nice idea!! Especially for people who are interested in trying it themselves. It is better than having to repeat the same info, time and again.

I would like a business card layout myself. One for those who are being pests and one for those who are interested.
Although, I think the brochure is also good to leave/drop at certain places, like coffee shops, rest rooms, laundromats etc.

It's not quite campaigning, but more so, sharing info and educating.

Oriana871

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2012
Toronto
OK feedback:

It's well written and comprehensive. I would personally cut down the amount of words and try to make it more concise, maybe even bullet form.

I find the font difficult to read. I wouldn't mind taking a crack at typesetting it.

For me, the most difficult part of educating people is not on what an ecig is or how it works, but what to buy. That's where it gets really complicated. Today for instance I had two people inquire about my ecig. I was using a largish mod with a Phiniac tank. After a few words and the inevitable "Where do I buy it"?, I overheard one woman talking about seeing an electronic cig that looked just like a cig and had a red light at the end of it. I know that your brochure isn't addressing that and I'm not suggesting you do, but to me explaining what how it work is usually the easy part. Takes a couple of minutes. For those who are skeptical, your brochure is great, informative, an easy and quick way to get the details across. I'd try to get it down to a one two-sided piece of paper. Maybe even reference ECF for how large the community is and how many success stories there are.

Cheers - thanks for taking the time to put something together!!

northhar

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2011
CanTheBan
I checked out the brochure and it is not something I would use to promote vaping..

While the effort put into it is very good.. the information is based on the ongoing debate about e-cigs.

I really like the idea of a brochure, but it should just explain how an e-cig works and how to use one, then refer the people to the myriad of sites for more info..

You seem to have skills in the design and compilation area .. skills which I lack..:oops: I give you a thumbs up for that.. :)

I do subscribe to the k.i.s.s. principle.. keep it simple simple..(my variation)

I would be interested in collaborating on a simpler version and a business card type of setup.. that people could printout.
I have not found anything out there like that..

Last edited:

RollandOfGilead

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2012
Kingston, On, Canada
OK feedback:

It's well written and comprehensive. I would personally cut down the amount of words and try to make it more concise, maybe even bullet form.

I find the font difficult to read. I wouldn't mind taking a crack at typesetting it.

For me, the most difficult part of educating people is not on what an ecig is or how it works, but what to buy. That's where it gets really complicated. Today for instance I had two people inquire about my ecig. I was using a largish mod with a Phiniac tank. After a few words and the inevitable "Where do I buy it"?, I overheard one woman talking about seeing an electronic cig that looked just like a cig and had a red light at the end of it. I know that your brochure isn't addressing that and I'm not suggesting you do, but to me explaining what how it work is usually the easy part. Takes a couple of minutes. For those who are skeptical, your brochure is great, informative, an easy and quick way to get the details across. I'd try to get it down to a one two-sided piece of paper. Maybe even reference ECF for how large the community is and how many success stories there are.

Cheers - thanks for taking the time to put something together!!

Thanks for the feedback,:thumbs:

Yea, I had difficulties fitting in all the text, It is meant to be 1 sheet, two sided, folded in half, and the part I took from the National post article was the biggest chunk of the text (entire inside right hand page), but I wanted to keep that intact because it has the most relavance to canadians.

There is (sort of) a reference to the ECF in the Read more part because i wanted to back up my facts so there is the webpage for the technical research portion of the forums along with others. I also though about changing the "the carcinogens that have been found" part with some parts of the Clearstream report but it seems they've removed it.

I would be happy to send you the PDF if you really want to take a crack at cleaning it up. I used Photoshop to create it but am VERY inexperienced with the program.(only ever used it once before to create cards for my own drinking game) AND I saved it flattened over the editable copies. I work in a print shop doing the finishing and usually leave the design to the designers:)

Dusty_D

Original Guru
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2010
Toronto, Canada
dustysfoodieadventures.blogspot.ca
I gave your document a quick once-over and even though it is a bit lengthy, it does have a lot of information in it. I do have a couple of edits that I'd like to mention though.

Change font to something clean and easily readable.

Grammatical errors -
Paragraph: No Second-Hand Smoke - There are many people that die every year...

Paragraph: No Unpleasant Odour - no more worrying about the smell of your clothes.... This is because "e-cigarettes or your other choice" are only producing water vapor, and not unpleasant smoke.

Paragraph: Auckland university research - They told 3 News. What?! That is an incomplete sentence. The FDA part should be another paragraph.

Inconsistencies: You've used the term "electronic cigarette", "electric cigarette" or "e-cigarette" throughout the article. Pick one, and apply it to the entire article.

Spellings:
Glycerin.. does not have an "e" at the end of it.
Propalene Glycol is spelt Propylene Glycol.

Last edited:

RollandOfGilead

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2012
Kingston, On, Canada
I would be interested in collaborating on a simpler version and a business card type of setup.. that people could printout.
I have not found anything out there like that..

Is this kind of what you were thinking?

Attachments

• Buisness card style.pdf
    42.9 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

Oriana871

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2012
Toronto
Yeah and there's a few more "no"'s that you could throw in there :). OK here's a gripe I've been carrying around. I want to refer people to ECF for all of their questions, concerns, interest, however I find too much of the info available is outdated. Nothing to do with your card. I don't have a site to give that is up-to-date and as thorough and that bugs me.

RollandOfGilead

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2012
Kingston, On, Canada
I gave your document a quick once-over and even though it is a bit lengthy, it does have a lot of information in it. I do have a couple of edits that I'd like to mention though.

Change font to something clean and easily readable.

Grammatical errors -
Paragraph: No Second-Hand Smoke - There are many people that die every year...

Paragraph: No Unpleasant Odour - no more worrying about the smell of your clothes.... This is because "e-cigarettes or your other choice" are only producing water vapor, and not unpleasant smoke.

Paragraph: Auckland university research - They told 3 News. What?! That is an incomplete sentence. The FDA part should be another paragraph.

Inconsistencies: You've used the term "electronic cigarette", "electric cigarette" or "e-cigarette" throughout the article. Pick one, and apply it to the entire article.

Spellings:
Glycerin.. does not have an "e" at the end of it.
Propalene Glycol is spelt Propylene Glycol.

Thanks Dusty.. I will definately make these changes.. gonna take some time. I didn't write the content mostly just copied and pasted from various spots on the web. I really want a brochure style option, and will post the updated one once i get it fixed up... getting late here in ontario... need to pack'er in will update tomorrow...

VIVAP2

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2011
Eastern Canada
I didn't even read it. I am a door to door salesman for a well known telecom biz. I place promotional visit cards on doors with only 25 words on it and most people won't even read that. If someone wants to read, he will read your paper first followed buy reading a ton of information available on the net. Sorry for breaking the bubble here. You want to promote it? Talk face to face to people about it!

Last edited:

RollandOfGilead

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2012
Kingston, On, Canada
I didn't even read it. I am a door to door salesman for a well known telecom biz. I place promotional visit cards on doors with only 25 words on it and most people won't even read that. If someone wants to read, he will read your paper first followed buy reading a ton of information available on the net. Sorry for breaking the bubble here. You want to promote it? Talk face to face to people about it!

Idea is less about promoting and more about educating.

X P3 Flight Engineer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Moncton, N.B. Canada

chagrin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 29, 2012
Toronto, Canada
I like it !

ingerri - The PG reference is OVERLY negative, a better reference is that it is used in many consumables and medical applications. I thought this was used for as a carrier in medical inhalants and I've heard it was used in hospital's ventilation, but I can only find vague references to research from the 40s and 50s.

Oriana871 - I LIKE the complexity. Personally I'm picturing a medical pamphlet in a doctor's office ( or anywhere ). The cover is an image and very basic information, the middle is informative and the back/end is further resources. If people are interested, they pick it up or they don't and the further they get, the more information there is.

As a not great example:
http://www.designfreebies.org/wp-co...ndesign-template-medical-center-brochure1.jpg

X P3 Flight Engineer - I do like the CASA's version, however it missing some things that this version does have and their cards are geared towards their cause.

VIVAP2 - In my opinion people don't read what you leave, because you're invading their personal space and trying to get them to give your company money. I find that style of advertising personally offensive and will not commit any of my time to reading something litering my property by someone trying to get my money. To me that is an absolutely foreign comparison.

I have to agree with the text quality, it was not vector(?) and got pretty grainy zooming in on my netbook. I'm not a fan the imagery of smoke either. This isn't exactly right, but I like the nice clean smoke or vapour free imagery associated with vaping, like:
http://vapefx.com/vaping_20allowed.jpg

One other thing is that you did not mention other additives, such as flavouring.

This IS an overly complex idea, I could see both a business card style and a larger phamplet, but it's uses are questionable right now. As I said .. I'd love to see these in doctor's offices some day. :)

Last edited:

RollandOfGilead

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2012
Kingston, On, Canada
Ok, I didn't get much time tonight to work on it (Kids were a handful) but I've managed to take some advice, Ive redone the front to take out the smoke, created a new "logo" an E with an e cig as the center line, Ive also rewritten the content on the first inside page and chose a different font. Still needs work but heres what ive got so far...

Attachments

• New brochure cover ww.pdf
    79 KB · Views: 21
  • new brochure in left.pdf
    185.8 KB · Views: 18
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread