Insurance company testing for nicotine... Should wife be concerned?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stomper38

Verified Member
Sep 5, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
Wasn't sure if I should put this in one of the subs or not, so here it is... My wife works for Highmark, which is a health insurance provider (don't know if it's national)... Anyways, the company gives them an extra $100 a month for being "tobacco free"... They have decided to start testing for this, as I'm sure 75% of the people claiming the benefit are lying... Being the asshats that they are (much like the government), their testing, however, tests for nicotine in the bloodstream, not tobacco use... Regardless of the obvious fact that it's complete crap to say nicotine and tobacco are the same thing, she is concerned that she, as a non-smoker (never smoked in her life), may be penalized $1200 a year due to me being a vaper and her being around me all the time... Is there a chance that she would test positive for nicotine use due to being in the house and car with me whilst I puff away all day? Appreciate the info and opinions... Thanks! =O)

MD_Boater

ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2013
Maryland Chesapeake Bay
Tell her to switch to 0 nix for 6 or 7 days. If she wants a nic fix once a day, let her vape for about 20 minutes, but immediately drink 2 large glasses of grapefruit juice immediately afterwards. I posted a link somewhere to a medical paper that showed grapefruit juice prevented the metabolism of nicotine to cotinine, which if what they really test for. I did exactly aI said above for 10 days, and came back 0 for it.

Edit: I badly misread the OP. Sorry....

Last edited:

telsie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2009
Maryland
My wife was in the same boat. They tested for nicotine in the bloodstream as part of her health insurance coverage. She did indeed test positive because of my vaping. I can happen. Luckily she is on my insurance now anyway.

Unless you keep your wife locked in a tiny room with no ventilation and a high nic cloud machine blowing vapor 24/7, I would've demanded a retest!

dherrington

ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2013
Houston, TX
I didn't see the test myself. I am only going by what she told me. We have a huge bedroom and though I vape in there a lot, I hardly blow huge clouds of smoke. In fact, like her, I spend most of the time either sleeping or watching tv. I was surprised to hear that nicotine still showed up. They must have an extremely sensitive test because I thought the nicotine coming from vaping was minimal.

KjAthena

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2013
Tampa Bay
any nicotine can show up in a test...however the level is what matters. ...many foods contain nicotine....being in a room with smokers 8 hours a day(like bar tending in a smoking bar) can raise levels as well anything below .2 is considered NON smoking levels. Any secondhand vape would also fall below this level.

I passed the test vapeing 6MG (6ML a day) e-juice with no problems was still below .2 on the test. YMMV

Dayglow

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2012
Greenville, NC
Second hand vape is not a particularly big concern unless you're blowing vapor into her face. If she knows when they will be doing the testing and is still concerned maybe you could vape 0mg for a couple days prior as the half life for such a low amount, if any, in her blood stream would be broken down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread