The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Insurance company testing for nicotine... Should wife be concerned?

Discussion in 'Health, Safety and Vaping' started by stomper38, Mar 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. stomper38

stomper38 Full Member Verified Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Wasn't sure if I should put this in one of the subs or not, so here it is... My wife works for Highmark, which is a health insurance provider (don't know if it's national)... Anyways, the company gives them an extra $100 a month for being "tobacco free"... They have decided to start testing for this, as I'm sure 75% of the people claiming the benefit are lying... Being the asshats that they are (much like the government), their testing, however, tests for nicotine in the bloodstream, not tobacco use... Regardless of the obvious fact that it's complete crap to say nicotine and tobacco are the same thing, she is concerned that she, as a non-smoker (never smoked in her life), may be penalized $1200 a year due to me being a vaper and her being around me all the time... Is there a chance that she would test positive for nicotine use due to being in the house and car with me whilst I puff away all day? Appreciate the info and opinions... Thanks! =O)

2. pt91

pt91 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 26, 2009
    AR
    Can't imagine that she is at risk for having any nic in her system because of you vaping.

3. stomper38

stomper38 Full Member Verified Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I told her I thought it was a major longshot, but figured I'd ask here to calm her down... Never know... Thanks for your opinion!

4. Majestic

Majestic Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    N.E. Wisconsin
    If you or your wife is still concerned then I would consider vaping in another room while indoors and crack your window and turn up the blower when riding in the car.

5. redddog

redddog Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 5, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    No way. She wouldn't have a positive result if you were smoking cigarettes. There is such a negligable amount of nic in second hand vapor, nic barely even shows up.

6. MD_Boater

MD_Boater Super Member ECF Veteran

Tell her to switch to 0 nix for 6 or 7 days. If she wants a nic fix once a day, let her vape for about 20 minutes, but immediately drink 2 large glasses of grapefruit juice immediately afterwards. I posted a link somewhere to a medical paper that showed grapefruit juice prevented the metabolism of nicotine to cotinine, which if what they really test for. I did exactly aI said above for 10 days, and came back 0 for it.

Edit: I badly misread the OP. Sorry....

7. redddog

redddog Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 5, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    MD_B, she doesn't vape. She's concerned that she would get a positive in her bloodstream from HIS second hand vapor.

There is no chance.

8. YKruss

YKruss Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Apr 21, 2009
    Springfield, VA
  9. dherrington

dherrington Senior Member ECF Veteran

Mar 15, 2013
    Houston, TX
    My wife was in the same boat. They tested for nicotine in the bloodstream as part of her health insurance coverage. She did indeed test positive because of my vaping. I can happen. Luckily she is on my insurance now anyway.

10. telsie

telsie Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 26, 2009
    Maryland
    Unless you keep your wife locked in a tiny room with no ventilation and a high nic cloud machine blowing vapor 24/7, I would've demanded a retest!

11. dherrington

dherrington Senior Member ECF Veteran

Mar 15, 2013
    Houston, TX
    I didn't see the test myself. I am only going by what she told me. We have a huge bedroom and though I vape in there a lot, I hardly blow huge clouds of smoke. In fact, like her, I spend most of the time either sleeping or watching tv. I was surprised to hear that nicotine still showed up. They must have an extremely sensitive test because I thought the nicotine coming from vaping was minimal.

12. KjAthena

KjAthena Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 10, 2013
    Tampa Bay
    any nicotine can show up in a test...however the level is what matters. ...many foods contain nicotine....being in a room with smokers 8 hours a day(like bar tending in a smoking bar) can raise levels as well anything below .2 is considered NON smoking levels. Any secondhand vape would also fall below this level.

I passed the test vapeing 6MG (6ML a day) e-juice with no problems was still below .2 on the test. YMMV

13. Dayglow

Dayglow Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 29, 2012
    Greenville, NC
    Second hand vape is not a particularly big concern unless you're blowing vapor into her face. If she knows when they will be doing the testing and is still concerned maybe you could vape 0mg for a couple days prior as the half life for such a low amount, if any, in her blood stream would be broken down.

14. GeorgeWachsmuth

GeorgeWachsmuth Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 19, 2014
    Riverhead, NY, USA
    As an addictions counselor....second hand smoking or vaping would not show up on the tests they are willing to shell out for and for the level they are testing at. Unless you are directly blowing your exhale directly into her lungs....all day....and even then it's doubtful.

15. Frenchfry1942

Frenchfry1942 Chillin' Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 12, 2014
    Rivanna
    Insurance companies are charging more for smokers and second-hand persons.

16. GeorgeWachsmuth

GeorgeWachsmuth Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 19, 2014
    Riverhead, NY, USA
    Yeah....they would....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.