Intermittent "Message too short" errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

voltaire

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2009
Florida
Anybody else getting intermittent "Message too short - must be 10 characters" (paraphrased) when your message was definitely NOT too short?

It's happened to me twice now, and both were when using the "Quote" button to reply. One was a couple paragraphs of quote followed by a couple paragraphs of reply by me - not even close to too short. The worst part is that after clicking 'Submit' and it gives the error, it still shows the quoted part in the input window, but the long reply I typed went poof. It's no longer there if I click 'back' on the browser either.

Pretty sure it's not me, because I'm not doing anything differently and nothing has changed on my end. Has anything related to this changed on the site? Is anyone else having this problem recently?

BradSmith

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2010
Northern Michigan USA
It has happened but not too bad. In fact this site runs better than many others I have been on. AARRGGG, you take the time to write a long responce and Poof it's gone. On this site you at least get the chance to fix it. On some sites I got in the habit of copying my post before I sent it just in case.

Elendil

Assclown Exterminator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
IL USA
Couple of things........

A quoted post does not count toward the 10 character minimum. It must be 10 characters you typed. Oh, and make sure you are not typing inside the quoted post.

Second, get Lazarus add on for firefox, no more missed posts even if the site or your browser (FF) messes up

You can get Lazarus here: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/6984

Last edited:

Quexos

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
USA
None of the above applied, but I think I may have sorted it. I use firefox with the NoScript addon. Seems if I tell it to "Allow all this page" it seems to work, though I don't like to do that because it lets ad banners have their way with java scripting. Meaning it lets java beget more java from many, many places other than this site or the adds it is displaying (which I already allowed).

Oddly, until today, I didn't have to drop my drawers like that to use the forum.

voltaire

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2009
Florida
It seems that NoScript is probably related. But I've used NoScript for a long time and never had this problem previously - maybe it was a recent update. It's just weird that it's intermittent and doesn't always happen.

I just had the problem 3 times in a row until I temp allowed "yahooapps.com" but maybe it was just a coincidence that it worked after that.

Gotta get used to copying replies before submitting them. Maybe I'll try Elendil's "Lazarus" suggestion (thanks), but I've got enough FireFox addons as it is, so I'm trying to avoid adding more.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread