Introduction!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rancourt

Sep 22, 2013
Central Florida
Hello, friends. Allow me to take a moment to introduce myself, share my vaping experience with you, and invite you to do the same, if you wish.

I discovered vaping over a year ago, when a friend of mine realized he wasn't able to smoke his much-beloved pipe due to medical complications. He took up an e-pipe, the 510-based F4313 that was popular at the time, and though it didn't work out for him, the matching e-pipe I purchased to vape in solidarity with him was a hit, and I found myself really enjoying recreational vaping. I hadn't really thought about vaping as a social activity, as a way to emote, to express and nuance ideas with nonverbal cues, to deepen the layers of communication in a social setting. I found myself 'saying things' with the way I drew from the pipe, the way I released the vapor, and people responded powerfully to that, in a sort of lively-and-chatty way. I had no idea, really, how social the smoking (and therefore, the vaping) experience was, and the role it could play in human interaction.

It's delightful, really. A rather Jazz Age thing, expressing curiosity with slow, leaking tendrils of "smoke," amusement with the sudden scattered cloud that a chuckle produces. Everyone asks what "that thing" is, what it is that you're vaping, what it's like, how it tastes, how you enjoy vaping. They're often even more curious when I tell them that I vape nicotine-free; I suspect many people think of vaping as purely a nicotine delivery system, and it's fun to point out that it can be many things to many people. In my case, it's been a zero-calorie source of flavor, a fascinating new dimension to social interaction, and an opportunity to enjoy many of the things I love about smoking while avoiding some of its dealbreakers for me.

I began vaping with the F4313 pipe system with 510 cartomizers, as I mentioned above, but in recent months, I've moved to less analog-looking systems. My favorite battery these days is a simple, generic, unbranded eGo C-Upgrade copy (650mAh) with passthrough charging, classic black, with the satin finish lightly rubberized grip that I really like. It was a cheapie from eBay, no variable voltages, a reduced charge capacity, and no frills -- and to my surprise, it's become my 'daily driver.' The convenience of pass-through charging alone sold me on it, but its reduced length makes for a pleasant balance in hand, and its raised plastic button, while not as visually elegant as the flush-mounted one on my Kangertech Evod battery, is quite easy to find with a fingertip. In the end, convenience won out.

I also have a Smoktech Winder battery, but I haven't experimented much with it, yet -- in fact, I have an Ego-V v2 en route to replace it. I'm curious to experiment with voltage adjustment, but honestly, I like the 3.7V produced by my current batteries just fine, and with the batteries I have on hand, the passthrough charging has really been the feature I most use and enjoy. The convenience is splendid -- I just plug it into my laptop and charge up while vaping.

I'm pretty smitten with my Kangertech ProTank II, and that's my go-to tank for 'daily driver' e-juices. (Presently, it's full of ECBlend's absinthe in double strength with "cool hit" added, which has been quite a hit for this black licorice fan.) I have a few CE4s and a Kangertech MT3S lying around, too, but I just don't switch e-juices terribly often. I've ordered a Mini RDA for dripping flavors in smaller sample sizes, and will try it out soon. I'm a little wary of rebuilding the coil myself, but I see there are plenty of videos online documenting the process, and the process looks simple enough for even I to eventually master.

I've also put together an Extremely Silly Thing (tm), largely for novelty and conversation-piece purposes. It occurred to me that a passthrough battery could easily be tethered by charge cable to a suitably showy centerpiece -- in my case, a small plasma "lightning sphere" that doubles as a USB hub -- to become, visually, a 'vape hookah' whose 'tank' contains a miniature glowing storm. I've ordered a "racing lights" LED charge cable to replace the plain black one, to add a visible impression of the light from the 'storm' flowing upcable to the tethered vape rig, which I think will only intensify the effect. That effect is likely "convince others than I am a really bored nerd," but I suppose that's a fair cop. It's nifty, it's interactive, and it's a great conversation starter.

After discovering how easy it is to blend one's own juices, I've ordered some supplies and plan to make a few small-batch test juices. I'm curious to see how well I can adapt my favorite sipping rum to vaping, in particular. I am one of the unfortunates who reacts to PG, so I generally vape high-VG-ratio juices, or all-VG if possible. I'm really enjoying ECBlend's juices so far, though I have a few bottles from Quack's that I really need to try, too.

My wife is a fellow vaper, also nicotine-free, running an Ego C-Twist and a ProTank II. She's fonder of the sweeter juices, and I have high hopes that I'll be able to make something she likes, once I get a bit of practice blending.

I think that's a pretty solid overview of myself as a vaper. Glad to come aboard and meet the rest of you!

rancourt

Sep 22, 2013
Central Florida
Central FL? I grew up in Eustis. Close or not?

A ways southwest. I'm in unincorporated county land, southwest of Lakeland. Mulberry's 'town' for us. I know Eustis, though! You're up by Mt. Dora, right?

that ego v V-2: a vv with screen and passthru right ? those look cool and have sparked my interest
kinda a blend between a iTaste and Vision twist

That's the one! Bottom-mounted screen. Not as pretty as an eVic, but half the price, and closer to a Twist's form factor. Honestly, the Twist is gorgeous; I just wanted the passthrough option. How do you like your iTaste?

Recon Number 54

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
McKinney, TX
A ways southwest. I'm in unincorporated county land, southwest of Lakeland. Mulberry's 'town' for us. I know Eustis, though! You're up by Mt. Dora, right?
Was by Mt. Dora (I still find the idea of a "Mount" in FL to be hilarious). Left the area a long long time ago, back before Mt. Dora became an attractive low-key tourist spot and antiquing mecca. But I still like going back to the area. Home is home and always will be. I hope that you enjoy the area as much as I did.

Live in TX now. It's actually a lot like Central Florida was back when I was a kid (pre-Disney days.... yeah, I'm that old :oops:)

fourthrok

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Watertown, NY
Welcome to ECF Rancourt! I'd love to see a picture of your LED/lightning sphere thingy when it's all done. I know a picture won't do it true justice (maybe a vid would be better? <G>) but it'd be fun to see how you set it up! I have a friend who posts here (mostly in the e-Pipe forum section) that seems to be quite a lot like you: Absintheur. He likes the same sort of things you seem to, and is quite a connoisseur of pipes, absinthe, and elegant vape gear...complete with all the nuances. You ought to check out the elaborate "vape station" cum hookah set up he came up with a couple of years ago! lol! It's awesome!

Anyway...welcome again!

cloud.nine

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Hello and welcome, Rancourt!
I love this:
A rather Jazz Age thing, expressing curiosity with slow, leaking tendrils of "smoke," amusement with the sudden scattered cloud that a chuckle produces.

Do post pics of your plasma vaping hookah when it comes to fruition, what a cool idea!

I've been vaping for just 3 weeks, with simple Evods and protank II mini's, which are working great for me. Juice flavors taste so much better than smoking! Next on my list is a variable voltage battery, and someday I'd like to try DIY'ing juice.

rancourt

Sep 22, 2013
Central Florida
Wow, so many kind words! Thank you, DorsaiMaster, Harlen, Fundoodman, DaBruuzer, Fourthrok, Computertech83, and Cloud.Nine!

Was by Mt. Dora (I still find the idea of a "Mount" in FL to be hilarious). Left the area a long long time ago, back before Mt. Dora became an attractive low-key tourist spot and antiquing mecca. But I still like going back to the area. Home is home and always will be. I hope that you enjoy the area as much as I did. Live in TX now. It's actually a lot like Central Florida was back when I was a kid (pre-Disney days.... yeah, I'm that old :oops:)

We do tend to make mountains out of molehills here, don't we? And yes, so much has changed here. My wife's a native central-Floridian, and remembers when Brandon was farmland. We imagine, by the time our granddaughter's in college, that this will be 'the new Brandon,' but we're enjoying the quiet for now. Texas is a beautiful state -- I've crossed it a few times on cross-country treks, and I remember it most fondly.

Welcome to ECF Rancourt! I'd love to see a picture of your LED/lightning sphere thingy when it's all done. I know a picture won't do it true justice (maybe a vid would be better? <G>) but it'd be fun to see how you set it up!

I would like to see a pic of your vaping hooka when you get around too it. I like the light idea, awesome dude. :)

I love this: Do post pics of your plasma vaping hookah when it comes to fruition, what a cool idea!

Oh, absolutely, my pleasure! I'd be happy to shoot a video, too, if that would make it easier, and if the nice forum folks wouldn't mind a video link. I'm just waiting on the racing LED cable to complete the effect. If it doesn't work out, though, I'll film the version as it presently stands, which is still quite groovy. It's also really inexpensive (the cable's the priciest part), and I'll happily share a parts list for those who'd like one.

I've been vaping for just 3 weeks, with simple Evods and protank II mini's, which are working great for me. Juice flavors taste so much better than smoking! Next on my list is a variable voltage battery, and someday I'd like to try DIY'ing juice.

The ProTank II (mini or full-size) is such a nice, solid tank system. I love how easy it is to take apart, clean, and rebuild, and the flavor's strong and clear. Might I ask what you're considering for your first VV battery? I'll be happy to share mistakes made and lessons learned from my DIY juice attempts, too, and would love to hear yours.

I'm liking my little eGo Upgrade cheapie as well, so far. :)

It amazes me, in a world with Provari-grade gourmet vaping solutions, just how effective and feature-laden the entry-level products are. You really can build a great vaping rig for a very low cost, and the Ego-C Upgrade is just an amazing sweet spot of features.

So rare that, while the 'Mercedes' end of the market is excellent, the 'trusty first hatchbacks' of the vaping world are such winners, too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread