• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Invite Malaysian Suppliers to ECF

Status
Not open for further replies.

mahfudz_mn

ECF Veteran
Dec 2, 2010
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
20+10 Tax is on the price on your invoice/purchase receipt...that's including whatever you buy plus the shipping. On my shipment last time, the total was $267 (including shipping), thus the tax on it was 30% of that which comes to $79.40...if you're talking about setting up a shop, yes I believe that $267+$79.40 is your cost of the items.

Alvin Lim

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
not so easy, that's only import costs, you have not include in-direct costs, eg :-

- shop monthly expenses - rental, elec, salary, commissions, sample for demo, etc etc etc....
- all kind of losts - defects, make excuses not satisfied want to exchange / refund, etc etc kind of losts (i can 10000% guarrenty you'll get this bull*t !!), even how branded products you sell will still get this s*its, only lesser! it's already proven on so many electronic products, hand phone, dvd, LCD, etc...
- any kind of "kacau fees"

So now, how much you think you want to sell it?
how many kits you think can sell in a day - 10 kits?

Zeroi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2010
Singapore
Thanks for the explanation. I understand how retails works but is just that I not sure on malaysia tax etc.
I intending to sell 100 per day but it also have to depend alot on the location which I can find. But say is eaiser than done. But I believe with the correct aim and goal, I believe someday I can achieve that.

not so easy, that's only import costs, you have not include in-direct costs, eg :-

- shop monthly expenses - rental, elec, salary, commissions, sample for demo, etc etc etc....
- all kind of losts - defects, make excuses not satisfied want to exchange / refund, etc etc kind of losts (i can 10000% guarrenty you'll get this bull*t !!), even how branded products you sell will still get this s*its, only lesser! it's already proven on so many electronic products, hand phone, dvd, LCD, etc...
- any kind of "kacau fees"

So now, how much you think you want to sell it?
how many kits you think can sell in a day - 10 kits?

jacktan12

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2011
Malaysia
At 100 kits a day, I do believe that you would be in a position to negotiate directly with China factories and get an exclusive distributorship for a particular country, like Janty monopolizing Korea or Totally Wicked in the UK. Furthermore, the factory support on warranty and after-sales will be a lot better as you will be one of their larger customers. That being said, at around 3000 kits a month is quite a lot, considering that it's not that easy to sell sometimes. I know of two kiosks near my home and one of them that I spoke to told me that they sometimes go without any sales for a day, while the highest they achieve was about 8 kits a day.

Additionally, the amount of money involved to put in an order of even 1000 sets is quite a lot, considering the risk and early startup problems. If successful, you may become "Absolutely Wicked Malaysia". Haha.

Maybe it would be better to consider having more sales of accessories and consumables, as they are high margin items with low cost to customer. Some businesses actually depend on their accessory sales for a large part of their profit margins.

Thanks for the explanation. I understand how retails works but is just that I not sure on malaysia tax etc.
I intending to sell 100 per day but it also have to depend alot on the location which I can find. But say is eaiser than done. But I believe with the correct aim and goal, I believe someday I can achieve that.

Last edited:

jacktan12

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2011
Malaysia
The product upgrade and evolution is unavoidable at this time.....it's not like e-cigs have been around since the 1920s and a lot of the development has already been done. I'm guessing that most of the quick development has been within the last 2 or 3 years as companies put their research & development to work and customers at large start making comments and demanding changes.

For the consumer, this means better products, with lower prices as this goes along. For wholesalers, it's a matter of keeping up with the times and getting rid of their old stocks before they get outdated. That's why most large resellers, importers and wholesalers actually had samples of new models like the Ego-T months before they were launched. This gives them the chance to evaluate the new product, decide if it is good, how many they want to commit to purchase and give them a chance to plan on discounting their older models to sell them off and get ready to market the new models. Information is money.

vikings

ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Malaysia
It definitely is a great time to be a consumer! There are so many choices for us and the ease of internet shopping means that we no longer have to be victims to the high prices that many of our local vendors are charging.

I really see vaping products being dominated by online businesses. It just makes so much more sense - you can reach a wider market, your overheads are much lower, and if run properly, you don't even need to hire any staff.

If anything, the existing kiosks we have in Malaysia are probably doing more harm than good - they sell inferior products at ridiculous prices and I already know of a few individuals who have been turned off on the whole vaping idea because of bad experiences they've had. In most cases, this stems from very poor customer service and a tendency to try and force even more products down a customer's throat when they are already having problems with their original purchase.

conclusion is, considering ..... high setup cost, high monthly operation expenses, problems with authorities, quick product obsoleting, low demand from youngsters, high online competition, ....blah blah....

opening kiosk to sell e-cig is not wise after all !

Low demand from youngsters? Dude, are you one of those sellers who target the young? Freakin WOW.

mahfudz_mn

ECF Veteran
Dec 2, 2010
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
i totally agree about the overheads of running a business. The idea of selling through kiosks is wonderful as the customers get the feel and touch of the items. Please, I didn't mean to make it sound like I'm too shallow. However, I'm not even referring to those who sell in kiosk when I commented. The sellers I've dealed with run online business or CODs. Setting up a shop is great but you can mimic that with an online store. However, even in the US most of the vapers in ECF utilize online stores to stock up...Malaysia is catching up but we still do not have a proper online store (not mudah, not lelong, not blogs, not ebay) as in a webpage with payment modules and all...perhaps you should think of going that way eh Zeroi...cheers

Zeroi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2010
Singapore
Haha, How can i create a Webshop out of what? hence nowadays people can order directly from the Main Supplier like Janty.
Anyway i just realize that france.jantyworld.com now have paypal for Singapore and malaysia. That means there is no Cross Border fee to pay to Oversea. It also mean cheaper already.

i totally agree about the overheads of running a business. The idea of selling through kiosks is wonderful as the customers get the feel and touch of the items. Please, I didn't mean to make it sound like I'm too shallow. However, I'm not even referring to those who sell in kiosk when I commented. The sellers I've dealed with run online business or CODs. Setting up a shop is great but you can mimic that with an online store. However, even in the US most of the vapers in ECF utilize online stores to stock up...Malaysia is catching up but we still do not have a proper online store (not mudah, not lelong, not blogs, not ebay) as in a webpage with payment modules and all...perhaps you should think of going that way eh Zeroi...cheers

jacktan12

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2011
Malaysia
Some say that the online shop has the cheapest overheads....and I'm inclined to agree. Anyone who's viewed Thehifistud or Smoke2Vape videos may have noticed their vids recently on Totally Wicked and another UK online retailer Needless to say, they are small operations with a bunch of shelves to put their stock in and very small number of staff that keeps the website going, sends out the orders, handles the after-sales issues and develop new products to sell. They tend to have a small product range (compared to some Lelong fashion sellers that have 800 or 900 different items, that's not many). A lot of the well-known e-cig online sellers in the US and UK are like this.

Which brings me to the point here.....We don't have an online retailer like this in Malaysia.....not one that is well-known, visible, active in promoting e-cigs and offering e-cigs at prices that are relevant in Malaysia. One that has low overheads and sells in sufficient quantity to get their products at very competitive costs to be able to transfer these cost savings to the Malaysian consumer. At least, being able to sell at prices a bit lower than the total cost of self-importing from online wholesalers is good enough for us.

The people who are in the best position to establish this is actually those people who are selling quietly on Lelong at this time. They already have the suppliers, stock, knowledge and most probably capital to start a "T0tally W1cked" Malaysia edition.

I, for one, will support a local version of these online retailers. It makes my life a lot easier if I can get my purchases in days...instead of weeks. There are advantages to buying from a Malaysian, online shop, as compared to one from China. I don't mind paying a bit more in comparison. If the prices are close enough to online purchases from China, I would wholeheartedly give my full support. I would gladly quit my job and work for them..... :D ...... wink wink........free eliquid samples......product testing before launch......staff discount....doing something I can be passionate about and making a living at the same time. Cool stuff.

All that being said.....if the Malaysian government.....in it's infinite wisdom.....chooses to ban electronic cigarettes.....we are all gonna be SOL (.... out of luck).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread